Thread poster: Asma Asfour
Asma Asfour
Asma Asfour  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2015

An organization named () sent me an email asking me for my visa information to pay 10 dollar for a test. Is this normal?

ongratulations! You have been selected among several candidates to interview for our translator position. You have the option of working remotely or on location. The position pays $25/per hour with an expectation of 227 words per hour. Hours per day will vary as needed.

Interviews will be held during the last week of October and/or first week of Nove
... See more
An organization named () sent me an email asking me for my visa information to pay 10 dollar for a test. Is this normal?

ongratulations! You have been selected among several candidates to interview for our translator position. You have the option of working remotely or on location. The position pays $25/per hour with an expectation of 227 words per hour. Hours per day will vary as needed.

Interviews will be held during the last week of October and/or first week of November. You may interview at our office, selected interview site in Orlando or via Skype. Prior to the interview, you must complete:
1) Pre-hire test registration form (attached)
2) Non-disclosure agreement

Download the forms to your computer => complete the fillable pdf forms => save the files (with your name*) and send as required (see forms)

[Edited at 2015-10-13 14:46 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:02
German to English
Looks shaky, probably not a scam Oct 13, 2015

There are a lot of shady enterprises that do not necessarily qualify as scams, but which provide little value to customers. In the US there are numerous for-profit "educational" institutions that provide certifications that are totally useless.

My advice: save your money and don't waste any more time thinking about this one.

Nicole Coesel
Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:02
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Asma, I would .... Oct 13, 2015

Steer clear of these things. It looks like a scam. I do not see how any agency would have a need to request my visa information.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:02
Danish to English
+ ...
What do you think? Oct 13, 2015

I suppose you mean they want you to pay for a test, not that they want to pay you.

Ask yourself: if you needed a solicitor/plumber/electrician/accountant to do something for you, and you asked him or her to pay you an amount for a test before you hire him or her, what do you think the answer would be?

Once you've found the answer, you know the answer to your question.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Very fishy Oct 13, 2015

Definitely not your run-of-the-mill translator scam, but it sure smells like one. Never send your VISA information over the internet, especially to an insecure site, otherwise you can become a victim of identity theft. It's very widespread in the US because internet security there seems to be a lot more haphazard compared to the security I encounter here in Germany.

It's a good thing you became suspicious and came here..

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bargepole Oct 14, 2015

If you mean VISA the credit card, then I 'd say this is definitely some sort of scam. No way should you give these people this or any other of your financial details.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/I%20wouldn't+touch+with+a+barge+pole

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:02
Serbian to English
+ ...
touch only with a veeeery long bargepole Oct 14, 2015

or preferably not at all!

the simple fact that they ask you to pay for the test is already a bad sign, that in itself is a borderline scam and is usually done by "agencies" in all sorts of trades that make money by selling false hopes instead of making some actual effort at finding clients for their "candidates";

asking for your banking details instead of giving to you their banking details is the final clue: whoever needs a one-off payment from you
... See more
or preferably not at all!

the simple fact that they ask you to pay for the test is already a bad sign, that in itself is a borderline scam and is usually done by "agencies" in all sorts of trades that make money by selling false hopes instead of making some actual effort at finding clients for their "candidates";

asking for your banking details instead of giving to you their banking details is the final clue: whoever needs a one-off payment from you should give you their banking details, not ask you to leave your account open to any future self-help from god know who.

99.99% a scam

BTW, is there any contact number for this agency? Any information you could gather about their business, that would show that they are worth spending your time on them? I would be interesting to ask them on which grounds they "selected" you - this whole message sounds to me like inspired from this tale: "Le Corbeau et le Renard".

[Edited at 2015-10-18 11:28 GMT]
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
No way! Oct 14, 2015

Asma,
You should not ever pay agencies a fee to do tests, get work, etc. If it's not a scam (doubtful), it is a horrible practice that should definitely not be encouraged.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When an agency is asking for visa information

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »