Thread poster: Armando Pattroni
Armando Pattroni
Armando Pattroni  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 12, 2009

Hi. Does anyone of you know how to convert a TM (in text or anything), into a valid Excel file where I can see the Source phrase in one column and the target phrase beside? I have a problem with a DTP process an would like to send my client the TM in a way he could understand and then copy and paste the translation to replace the text in the original file. Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-13 00:29 GMT]

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:12
French to German
+ ...
Try this... Feb 13, 2009

Armando Pattroni wrote:
Hi. Does anyone of you know how to convert a TM (in text or anything), into a valid Excel file

One way to do it is the following:

1. Export the memory to TMX format
  2. Load the result into Okapi Olifant. This is a free tool for processing memories in TMX format, see okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html.
  3. Inside Olifant, "save" the memory to "Wordfast TM file".
  4. This "Wordfast" format is simply a tab-delimited text file, so you can open that file in Excel and save it from there.
  5. I suggest hiding colums A to D and F and row 1 before passing the Excel to your customer so that your customer cannot ding with them (or alternatively, lock these cells). (*)

For re-conversion, you do the following:

1. Save the Excel as tab-delimited text file.
  2. Open the file in Okapi Olifant as a "Wordfast TM file". Check that it imported correctly.
  3. Save the file as TMX file.
  4. Import the resulting TMX.

If that did not work out, here is an alternative re-conversion method:

1. Save the Excel in CSV format.
  2. Use Maxprograms CSVconverter to convert into TMX format. For this free utility, see www.maxprograms.com/products/csvconverter.html
  3. Import the resulting TMX.

Expect some time-consuming fiddling coming up when going through all those loops.

Peter

(*) 1st line is heading, column A is date/time, B is name, C is usage count, D is source language, F is target language. So columns E and G are what the customer is interested in.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-02-13 01:20 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2009-02-13 01:24 GMT]

translationmy FLE
translationmy FLE
Malaysia
Local time: 20:12
SUperb, Thanks! Oct 15, 2015

This method is awfully great!
works very well, thanks!

Marcelo Bornscheuer

Simone-Agabo
Simone-Agabo
Brazil
Local time: 09:12
English to Portuguese
The best answer! Sep 4, 2023

Thank you for your answer. Helped me a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting TM files into Excel or CSV

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »