Unexpected exception -- and Trados won't open
Thread poster: MarkAlexande (X)
MarkAlexande (X)
MarkAlexande (X)
Local time: 17:17
Jun 14, 2010

Hi --

I'm afraid I'm at a standstill in my work tonight. After changing the background color option a few times using the Options|Colors menu, Trados Studio 2009 showed an error box and refused to change the color. I then closed the program (normally) in real-time, thinking this might cure the problem.

But Trados will no longer re-open at all. Instead, it throws up a notification box which says:

"Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view
... See more
Hi --

I'm afraid I'm at a standstill in my work tonight. After changing the background color option a few times using the Options|Colors menu, Trados Studio 2009 showed an error box and refused to change the color. I then closed the program (normally) in real-time, thinking this might cure the problem.

But Trados will no longer re-open at all. Instead, it throws up a notification box which says:

"Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results". That's it. Nothing further. Obviously, something has gotten corrupted somewhere. If anyone knows how to get the program working again – so I can start working again – I'd be grateful. The full error dump is as follows:

-
Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results
-
Sdl.Desktop.Platform.StudioException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
-

-
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

mscorlib
-
-

-
System.ArgumentException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

System.Windows.Forms
-
-

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2
WORK\Mark
WORK
True
2095532 MB

Thanks.

Mark.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this Jun 15, 2010

Hi Mark,

Can you try deleting the following files in C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 and restart. If you are using Vista or W7 it will be C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\.

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated and it may help. There is a KB on th
... See more
Hi Mark,

Can you try deleting the following files in C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 and restart. If you are using Vista or W7 it will be C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\.

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

They will be recreated and it may help. There is a KB on this here - http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3062&p=1 - and although the error message is not the same this does tend to fix a few sins.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

MarkAlexande (X)
MarkAlexande (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul, I ended up sniffing the files out Jun 15, 2010

...by myself last night. I tried to poke through the XML but...nah. Then just deleted UserSettings.xml and BaseSettings.xml and Studio re-created them, as hoped. I lost my font and color preferences but other than that everything seems to be intact, so not too much blood lost as it turns out.

Thanks for your help.

Mark.

Malcolm Smith
Malcolm Smith  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for this Dec 13, 2010

After updating to SP3, Trados refused to do load - renaming these files did the trick. Thanks

Malcolm

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 23:17
English to Chinese
I encounter the same problem Mar 7, 2011

I can't open SDL Trados Studio 2009 after upgrading to SP3. This following is the error message:

-
Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results
-
Sdl.Desktop.Platform.StudioException, Sdl.Desktop.Platform, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
-

-
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException, mscorlib, Version
... See more
I can't open SDL Trados Studio 2009 after upgrading to SP3. This following is the error message:

-
-

Sdl.Desktop.Platform
-
-

-
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

mscorlib
-
-

-
System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

System.Runtime.Serialization
-
-

-
SDL Trados Studio
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3
EDMUNDSHANG\Owner
EDMUNDSHANG
True
2078756 MB

The following user specific profiles don't exist in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0 folder:

BaseSettings.xml
plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

Only LastRunEdition.xml is found:

Freelance

Even if this file is remarked out the application can't start.

Thank you in advance.

Edmund
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Repair your installation Mar 7, 2011

Dear Shang,

If you do not find these 3 files on your installation, and you are sure they are not hidden (please refer to KB article #3330 - http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3330&p=1), then I would advise to run a repair of your installation.

For that, go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 > click on the link "Cli
... See more
Dear Shang,

If you do not find these 3 files on your installation, and you are sure they are not hidden (please refer to KB article #3330 - http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3330&p=1), then I would advise to run a repair of your installation.

For that, go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3 > click on the link "Click here for Support information" > click the "Repair" button.

Best regards,
Judith
SDL Support
Collapse

Milan Hudecek
Milan Hudecek
English to Slovak
+ ...
Exactly the same here as with Shang... Mar 11, 2011

I tried your advice, Judith, but no success. After "Loading Editor Views", I got the error message mentioned in the first post and there is only LastRunEdition.xml in the 9.1.1.0 directory.
Many thanks in advance for your help...
Milan

[Edited at 2011-03-13 07:26 GMT]

Sans Frontieres
Sans Frontieres
Japan
Local time: 00:17
I'd also had the same problem, but finally found the three files. Oct 14, 2011

Dear Milan and Shang,

Why don't you go to
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0
instead of
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0
then
I hope you will find the three files (BaseSettings.xml, plugincache.xml, and UserSettings.xml) to delete.

It seems that deleting these files reset the application and put it back to the factory settings.

... See more
Dear Milan and Shang,

Why don't you go to
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0
instead of
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0
then
I hope you will find the three files (BaseSettings.xml, plugincache.xml, and UserSettings.xml) to delete.

It seems that deleting these files reset the application and put it back to the factory settings.

Tae Miyazaki, Sans Frontieres. Co. Ltd.
Collapse

David Goward
David Goward  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Font tags disappeared Nov 3, 2011

This morning, I experienced the problem discussed here and deleted the three files mentioned earlier in the thread.

Unfortunately, I now have the situation where many of the font tags within the segments have disappeared (they were there yesterday). I have tried reinstalling SP3 and reopening the original project file sent by the customer but to no avail.

FWIW, the file for translation was generated from InDesign.

I'd be most grateful for any suggestions.<
... See more
This morning, I experienced the problem discussed here and deleted the three files mentioned earlier in the thread.

Unfortunately, I now have the situation where many of the font tags within the segments have disappeared (they were there yesterday). I have tried reinstalling SP3 and reopening the original project file sent by the customer but to no avail.

FWIW, the file for translation was generated from InDesign.

I'd be most grateful for any suggestions.

Best regards
David
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Custom settings maybe... Nov 3, 2011

Hi,

When you deleted the three files you may have lost settings that were in place to show or hide certain things. If they were in the file before then they must be there now.

Try pressing Ctrl+Shift +H when you are in the Editor View... could be you just turned this off. This activates the button on the top right next to the four blue diamonds (well, only one is a diamond the rest are hexagons, but they are all blue...
See more
Hi,

When you deleted the three files you may have lost settings that were in place to show or hide certain things. If they were in the file before then they must be there now.

Try pressing Ctrl+Shift +H when you are in the Editor View... could be you just turned this off. This activates the button on the top right next to the four blue diamonds (well, only one is a diamond the rest are hexagons, but they are all blue).

You could also check in Tools - Options - Editor - Formatting Display Style as you may be hiding formatting tags.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Audrey MANOUVRIER
Audrey MANOUVRIER
English to French
+ ...
Cannot open SDL Trados Studio 2011 Oct 1, 2013

Hi everyone,

I know this subject is old now, and I use 2011 and not 2009 as the other members, but I have exactly the same problem and the same message. I cannot open Trados.

The thing is, I tried to delete these three files. First, I could not find them under C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio, but under SDL MuliTerm. By the way, I can't open MultiTerm either...

I deleted the files and tried to restart Studio (and MultiTerm), but it does n
... See more
Hi everyone,

I know this subject is old now, and I use 2011 and not 2009 as the other members, but I have exactly the same problem and the same message. I cannot open Trados.

The thing is, I tried to delete these three files. First, I could not find them under C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio, but under SDL MuliTerm. By the way, I can't open MultiTerm either...

I deleted the files and tried to restart Studio (and MultiTerm), but it does not work.

I was wondering if you know any other solution... I tried to go to the Control Panel to repair the software, but the only option I have is uninstalling it.

I am afraid it might delete all my termbases (stored on a separate folder in My Documents), and I fear facing installation issues (will I be able to reuse my licence activation ID, since it has not been unactivated before the uninstallation??)

I have to precise I did not install anything new on my computer since I last use Trados.

Well, any idea would be welcome here!!

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Audrey

(Trados Studio 2011 SP3
Windows 7 64bits)
Collapse

Elke Fehling
Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Same problem solved Apr 10, 2014

In case that helps:

I had the same problem yesterday with Studio 2011. I tried to find a solution the whole day. I installed and uninstalled Trados 2011 at least 10 times. After a while I found out that Trados kept asking for translation memory I had removed, even though I had installed a completely new version and deleted all unnecessary dlls...

Trados support was non existant. They asked me to upgrade to Studio 2014, that would allow me to buy support. They obviously
... See more
In case that helps:

I had the same problem yesterday with Studio 2011. I tried to find a solution the whole day. I installed and uninstalled Trados 2011 at least 10 times. After a while I found out that Trados kept asking for translation memory I had removed, even though I had installed a completely new version and deleted all unnecessary dlls...

Trados support was non existant. They asked me to upgrade to Studio 2014, that would allow me to buy support. They obviously don't support Studio 2011 anymore. I also didn't find a solution in the knowledge base. Buying 2014 is no option, most of my clients don't even yet work with Studio 2009. Why is that so? They seem to think they have a monopoly (and actually, they do?!, all my clients require me to work with Trados!), so they can afford to simply not support their software (and their clients)...

The solution - after 10 hours of research or so - was easy. I simply deleted the 3 xml files (usercache, basesettings, usersettings) from following directory:
C:\Users\Elkisch\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
Trados regenerated the xml files, all that was lost were my preference settings (annoying, but not as annoying as not being able to work).

I tried to find these files on my backup system (just out of pure curiosity), it's a laptop with Windows XP. I couldn't find them. I just hope the problem doesn't occur there.

Elke
Collapse

Arvind Raman
Arvind Raman
Singapore
German to English
+ ...
Hello Elke Nov 24, 2015

I tried the solution you mention but in my case its not working. I have reinstalled Studio 2014 5-6 times. But still same issue. I even deleted all the trados related folders from Program files and APPData (locak and roaming). Now I also notice whenever I try to open Studio a log is generated in AppData/ Local... saying

"Studio - Checking License Requirements"

I am not sure what this is. I didnt format my PC or touch anything to do with license.

Would appr
... See more
I tried the solution you mention but in my case its not working. I have reinstalled Studio 2014 5-6 times. But still same issue. I even deleted all the trados related folders from Program files and APPData (locak and roaming). Now I also notice whenever I try to open Studio a log is generated in AppData/ Local... saying

"Studio - Checking License Requirements"

I am not sure what this is. I didnt format my PC or touch anything to do with license.

Would appreciate any input on this from anyone.

Regards
Collapse

Eva Rodríguez
Eva Rodríguez
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cannot open SDL Trados Studio 2015 projects Dec 20, 2016

Hi,

I get the same error message: "Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results"

I tried to follow these instructions: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3559

A. I could not find these files:

Sdl.Enterprise.CredentialProvider.xml
Sdl.Enterprise.ServerConnectionManager.x
... See more
Hi,

I get the same error message: "Unexpected exception when getting view part instance of view part Translation Results"

I tried to follow these instructions: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3559

A. I could not find these files:

Sdl.Enterprise.CredentialProvider.xml
Sdl.Enterprise.ServerConnectionManager.xml
Sdl.ProjectApi.CustomCredentialProvider.xml

B. I did find and delete these:
BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

Error persists. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Eva

[Editado a las 2016-12-20 10:32 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unexpected exception -- and Trados won't open

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »