Thread poster: Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:47
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More about 2014 Aug 2, 2013

New link: http://www.sdl.com/community/blog/details/39921/3-interesting-things-about-sdl-trados-studio-2014

Cheers,

Bernard

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
I hated the ribbon in 2007 at first Aug 2, 2013

but then I started using it and now I really like it. Now I find that I can no longer work with Word 2003 because I cannot find anything and everything takes so much longer. Word 2007 also makes formatting so much easier. The only bad thing is that Spell Check Words in All Caps is turned off by default when you initially install the program.

Hakan Kiyici
Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:47
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Should I be excited about 2014 as a freelance translator Aug 9, 2013

We have started seeing ads about 2014. I am a freelance translator. I am not sure if I should really be excited about it. 2011 had relatively new features. But, I have checked the article

http://www.sdl.com/community/blog/details/39921/3-interesting-things-about-sdl-trados-studio-2014

3 so called interesting featu
... See more
We have started seeing ads about 2014. I am a freelance translator. I am not sure if I should really be excited about it. 2011 had relatively new features. But, I have checked the article

http://www.sdl.com/community/blog/details/39921/3-interesting-things-about-sdl-trados-studio-2014

3 so called interesting features are the features, I am already using with another major CAT tool in the market. I have replied the below message to the writer and just wanted to share it here too.
-----

"3 belated, now un-innovative features, more like rediscovering the wheel/moon" would have been the banned title for this article.

First off, Trados is my most preferred tool, despite grievances and disappointments it keeps causing.

25k algorithm was the complain from very first moment. One another software has this feature over a year now and without such limit. It creates autofill popups almost immediately.

QuickMerge was something I noticed when I received some files in Trados Project format. It was the collated version of severall TTX files. I wondered but did not ask around how it was done.

This again was dealt with in the above mentioned software from almost day one. It is a simple Create View feature that combines selected files into one. That saves the user from openning closing multitude of files and easier find/replace and other functions.

Trados could not resolve this bilingual word doc issue in 2011 properly. I am still forced to use Workbench of 2007 to segment Word files to create Bilingual Word doc and deliver an unclean file. Apparently, instead of solving it within the software, Trados is pushing us for OpenExchange plugins. Again, StarTransit support is nothing new. I recently discovered that above mentioned software has support for it. And, I stopped missing StarTransit jobs.

I am sorry to say that nothing much new, so far. Similar situation to 2011. But, we will have to eventually upgrade, at least I will have to, just to say we have the latest version. Too bad.
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
is there a 64-bit version? Aug 24, 2013

Is there a 64-bit version, at least for Multiterm, which is useless for me as it is now? I understand that it uses Java. Well that tells me why it utterly fails to import and manage large termbases. Wordfast also uses Java which makes importing large termbases so lengthy as I had to kill it via task manager each time.

64 bit is the future, but I guess the guys from SDL are not aware of this. Apple's OSX comes now only in 64-bit flavours. Why? Well they're not narrowminded. Windows 3
... See more
Is there a 64-bit version, at least for Multiterm, which is useless for me as it is now? I understand that it uses Java. Well that tells me why it utterly fails to import and manage large termbases. Wordfast also uses Java which makes importing large termbases so lengthy as I had to kill it via task manager each time.

64 bit is the future, but I guess the guys from SDL are not aware of this. Apple's OSX comes now only in 64-bit flavours. Why? Well they're not narrowminded. Windows 3.1 was 16-bit, then they moved to 32-bit starting with Windows 95, and to 64-bit starting with Windows Vista. AMD has started to provide 128-bit processors.

Moreover, if I were to upgrade from Trados 2011 to 2014 will I be able to use both Trados 2011 and 2014? I understand this was possible when one upgraded from previous versions, but will it still be the same now?

To upgrade for a new interface? Hm, I hope there's more to it than just a facelift.

[Edited at 2013-08-24 13:36 GMT]
Collapse

Wladyslaw Janowski
Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
5 years progress ??? Aug 26, 2013

Users of SDL STUDIO would be grateful, if SDL could publish a honest comparison of 2009 and 2014. And the analogic comparison with competitors. We have now the slogan "5x faster" (batch tasks for instance). Well, 5x faster then what? Looks good like for marketing, but the real question would be "fast enough?"
Short compare with memoQ, which I'm using since about 1 year (Studio since the very beginning). And I can simply tell about memoQ - it is "fast enough". No more "need for speed", if t
... See more
Users of SDL STUDIO would be grateful, if SDL could publish a honest comparison of 2009 and 2014. And the analogic comparison with competitors. We have now the slogan "5x faster" (batch tasks for instance). Well, 5x faster then what? Looks good like for marketing, but the real question would be "fast enough?"
Short compare with memoQ, which I'm using since about 1 year (Studio since the very beginning). And I can simply tell about memoQ - it is "fast enough". No more "need for speed", if the wait times are not significant. Seconds, not minutes or in special causes even hours as in Studio 2011 - now the differenece between seconds and minutes means 60x. If Studio now goes 5x faster then 2009 or even 2001, it will be still 12x slower then memoQ. It's only an example, of how honest and meaningful SDL's marketing is.
Merging/unmerging files any time (that is also after the project is created) - very old user's wish, and implemented long ago in memoQ as "Views" feature in editor.
Drag&drop files - seems to be the only one real improvement, but not worth to mention as an achievement of 5 years development.
Ribbon - still nothing revolutionary and there will be of course a lot of users (possibly the majority) requesting the possibility to switch back to standard menu (as in case of Classic Desktop in Windows vs. Aero). Possibility to customize the menus (adding custom defined buttons, moving them around the menus structure) would be probably more appreciated.
Conclusion: 90% of "new" features are things, we have paid for, when buying 2009, beeing in best case at a mid alpha stage, so we should receive them as unpaid Service Pack, not a paid "major version". Remaining 10% are a matter of taste. Also nothing to pay for. We (I mean - existing Studio users) should have the option to install 2014 for free, but with the possibility to continue to work in parallel on 2011 or - the best solution: to switch back to old UI).
WJ
PS: 64-bit version? Forget it. We will get it never.
Collapse

Shawn Champion
Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Exactly Aug 29, 2013

John Fossey wrote:

I wish they would rather fix the bugs, such as filenames which they say are longer than 260 characters (but are not), out of memory exceptions, copy to clipboard errors, various other cryptic java error messages that tell the user nothing useful at all, etc.

Should we expect the above problems to persist? Will we also get some fun new errors and bugs that waste our time and cause endless headaches? Will previous versions of auto suggest and multi term work?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
some user requests Aug 29, 2013

Paul Filkin wrote a blog showing some long requested features from the user base:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/08/29/littlethings2014/

Cheers,
Luis

Shawn Champion
Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
fix crahes and bugs Aug 30, 2013

"Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt"

Fix that. Your tech support couldn't help.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
fixed Aug 30, 2013

Hi Shawn,

The message you mention is not a bug we know to typically occur:

There are two instances we know of:

1. Licensing related and was fixed in early 2012 for a Studio 2011 SP1 CU4, we are now at Studio 2011 SP2R CU9

2. This specific issue with just some files: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4411

The mess
... See more
Hi Shawn,

The message you mention is not a bug we know to typically occur:

There are two instances we know of:

1. Licensing related and was fixed in early 2012 for a Studio 2011 SP1 CU4, we are now at Studio 2011 SP2R CU9

2. This specific issue with just some files: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4411

The message you specify comes from Microsoft .NET components and occurs when there is a problem speaking to those components.

Do you still get the issue when using a current 2011 Build? From what I understand you stopped using Studio in December 2012.

Cheers,
Luis
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Find Previous / Find Next Aug 31, 2013

The "Find" function in SDL Trados 2011 seems to be limited. What I mean is that there is no "Find previous", only "Find", which stands for "Find Next." I thought that maybe ticking the "Search up" will change the function of the "Find" button to "Find previous", which I needed as as I jumped by mistake over an occurrence of a word I was searching for, but instead, pressing "Find" with "Search up" ticked took me right at the beginning of the document. That's awfully uncomfortable, to say the leas... See more
The "Find" function in SDL Trados 2011 seems to be limited. What I mean is that there is no "Find previous", only "Find", which stands for "Find Next." I thought that maybe ticking the "Search up" will change the function of the "Find" button to "Find previous", which I needed as as I jumped by mistake over an occurrence of a word I was searching for, but instead, pressing "Find" with "Search up" ticked took me right at the beginning of the document. That's awfully uncomfortable, to say the least. Now I have to search again down till I re-encounter that occurrence of the word I skipped. So maybe this also needs an upgrade.

[Edited at 2013-08-31 13:11 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Choice of wording and solution for Find Previous Aug 31, 2013

Back to topic... the solution is a little hidden, but it's quite easy. Start your search, close the Find dialog box, and then press F4 or shift F4 to search down or up, respectively.

Maybe you won't have to switch to MemoQ now?

[Edited at moderator's request to remove my quote from a hidden post about apparent lack of Find Previous function in Studio]

[Edited at 2013-08-31 12:27 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
counter-intuitive Aug 31, 2013

Ctrl+F vs. Shift+F4: counterintuitive

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:47
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Studio 2014? No thanks. Aug 31, 2013

JaneD wrote:

I wish I'd read this yesterday before I paid for the upgrade from 2011 to 2014 (which, admittedly I don't intend to install until Studio 2014 is on at least SP2, but all the same).
(...)
NB if you have the skills to do this, please note that personally I'd happily pay a further 125 euros just to get an interface I can use, and I bet I'm not the only one.

That’s quite a lot of money. I think I'll stick to CafeTran, which costs only €80 – for the whole shebang. No ribbon, and no convoluted, ugly UI. CafeTran's UI is furthermore completely user-configurable. That is, you can move all the various windows around to create your own personalised CAT tool. Oh yeah, it also works on Mac, Windows and Linux.

Michael

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
counter-intuitive / intuitive Aug 31, 2013

D.D.G. wrote:

Ctrl+F vs. Shift+F4: counterintuitive

Studio tries to use the same/similar shortcuts to MS Word, so that users don't have to learn two different sets for similar functions.

Shift F4 searches down in a document in Word. (Although I don't know if you can search upwards in Word once you've left the Find box.)

That's why this Studio behaviour is quite intuitive if you're familiar with Word.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »