Thread poster: Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:10
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If Then Else Sep 18, 2013

...is the basic rule in S/W, it's never taken me more than half an hour to get the knack of most CAT tools - needs some thinking instead of some passive approach where any CAT tool is simply supposed to meet/suit your needs.

What also beats me is that most of you, upgrade to the latest OS and still use obsolete tools designed for earlier OSs.

My two pence,

Bernard

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:10
German to English
Uncanny Sep 18, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

What also beats me is that most of you, upgrade to the latest OS and still use obsolete tools designed for earlier OSs.

My two pence,

Bernard

I didn't realise that you knew us all so well, Bernard!

Steve K.

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uncanny Indeed Sep 18, 2013

I once had an American trainee for about a year and I outwitted him most of the time but he was smart and the very day he left, he hit back and said: "Bernard, you're so smart that you could tell the flavor of an ice-cream by just sitting on it!"

Loved it and even offered to take him to the airport.

Bernard

sdl_andy
sdl_andy
Evolution not Revolution Sep 19, 2013

Hi All

We're very excited about Studio 2014 and I want to assure you that it will not be confusing when you start to use it. Quite the opposite in fact. Our beta program is telling us that it is very much a case of evolution. You will find that things feel very familiar but also a lot easier.

In fact, many of us have rediscovered powerful features that had become hidden in the depths of the old menu system, all thanks to the new ribbon.

Andy.

Steve Kerry
German to English
I bet he said... Sep 19, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

I once had an American trainee for about a year and I outwitted him most of the time but he was smart and the very day he left, he hit back and said: "Bernard, you're so smart that you could tell the flavor of an ice-cream by just sitting on it!"

Bernard

..I'll walk, thanks!

Steve K.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
English to Spanish
Hmm... no thanks, I think I'll walk Sep 19, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Bernard

I bet he said... I'll walk, thanks!

Steve K.

Steve,

Do you mean the American trainee declined out of tiredness of being outwitted all the time, or maybe out of fear he would have been offered some of the smashed ice cream?

Steve Kerry
German to English
A bit of both.. Sep 20, 2013

Miguel Carmona wrote:
Steve,

Do you mean the American trainee declined out of tiredness of being outwitted all the time, or maybe out of fear he would have been offered some of the smashed ice cream?

Nobody likes a smart a..e, covered in ice cream or otherwise!

Steve K.

dnitzpon
dnitzpon
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Pleeaaase make the ribbon optional Sep 20, 2013

sdl_andy wrote:

Hi All

We're very excited about Studio 2014 and I want to assure you that it will not be confusing when you start to use it. Quite the opposite in fact. Our beta program is telling us that it is very much a case of evolution. You will find that things feel very familiar but also a lot easier.

In fact, many of us have rediscovered powerful features that had become hidden in the depths of the old menu system, all thanks to the new ribbon.

Andy.

No offense, but there is one thing I would really like developers to understand: Most power users (which in the CAT world are most users) like to learn their keyboard shortcuts once and then use them forever. At least that holds for translators. Project managers may be more into point-and-click, but for translators a cumbersome click menu can easily mean hours of time lost and a good chance for RSI. So I would be really grateful (actually it is more something I expect as a minimum, but keep being disappointed about it by developers) if my Alt+this+that memory would not need days of trial-and-error retraining..

Plus another issue that no one seems to consider: I like to travel light and work on an 12 inch laptop display from time to time. Every pixel is valuable space there and if I want to have enough context, TM matches and concordance matches on the screen at once a toolbar I can hide (and windows that don't feature useless window and tab titles, frames etc.) is worth a lot in terms of less scrolling and more productivity. Horrors, if I think of the space a ribbon I won't use much takes on that tiny screen...

[Edited at 2013-09-20 15:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-20 15:48 GMT]

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Minimize It Sep 20, 2013

You should be able to minimize it as in Word!

Cheers,

Bernard

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No Sep 20, 2013

sdl_andy wrote:

Hi All

Andy.

I'm sorry, but no amount of anecdotal "focus group" evidence will convince me that the ribbon is a good idea. It's a horrible idea in my opinion. I just hope it can be disabled and the normal menu system reinstated somehow.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is it Sep 20, 2013

dnitzpon wrote:
No offense, but there is one thing I would really like developers to understand: Most power users (which in the CAT world are most users) like to learn their keyboard shortcuts once and then use them forever. At least that holds for translators. Project managers may be more into point-and-click, but for translators a cumbersome click menu can easily mean hours of time lost and a good chance for RSI. So I would be really grateful (actually it is more something I expect as a minimum, but keep being disappointed about it by developers) if my Alt+this+that memory would not need days of trial-and-error retraining..

Plus another issue that no one seems to consider: I like to travel light and work on an 12 inch laptop display from time to time. Every pixel is valuable space there and if I want to have enough context, TM matches and concordance matches on the screen at once a toolbar I can hide (and windows that don't feature useless window and tab titles, frames etc.) is worth a lot in terms of less scrolling and more productivity. Horrors, if I think of the space a ribbon I won't use much takes on that tiny screen...

[Edited at 2013-09-20 15:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-20 15:48 GMT]

This is it! Who cares about a ribbon if you know your shortcut keys. Please have 2014 import keyboard shortcuts from 2011. I've spent considerable time customizing all my shortcuts. Also, make it possible to completely hide some UI elements (something like Acrobat, F8=toggle toolbars; F9=toggle menu; F4=toggle sidebar; or the more recent reading mode)

The problem with the ribbon is the space it takes and the fact that it pretends to be smart and keeps changing depending on what you select and you have to keep clicking, and clicking to get to the button you want. A much better solution would be to have a customizable toolbar. Period.

A ribbon is not how to get noob users to learn more advanced features. SDL, WRITE A PROPER MANUAL!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Sep 21, 2013

Jaime Oriard wrote:

This is it! Who cares about a ribbon if you know your shortcut keys. Please have 2014 import keyboard shortcuts from 2011. I've spent considerable time customizing all my shortcuts. Also, make it possible to completely hide some UI elements (something like Acrobat, F8=toggle toolbars; F9=toggle menu; F4=toggle sidebar; or the more recent reading mode)

The problem with the ribbon is the space it takes and the fact that it pretends to be smart and keeps changing depending on what you select and you have to keep clicking, and clicking to get to the button you want. A much better solution would be to have a customizable toolbar. Period.

A ribbon is not how to get noob users to learn more advanced features. SDL, WRITE A PROPER MANUAL!

... use F11 which hides everything apart from your working space in the Editor? Works in 2009/2011 and 2014... and in 2014 you of course have Ctrl+F1 to just hide the ribbon.

Space with the ribbon... the standard toolbars take up around the same space as a ribbon, and the number of clicks it takes to get to things in the options is much less with the ribbon... plus you actually know they are there now.

Shortcuts all work so you don't have to use the ribbon if you don't want to.

The interesting thing for me is that many users were quite vocal about hating ribbons, including some of our Beta testers (anecdotal or not), but after using it for a while I would say the vast majority by far have found it to be a massive improvement over how the current toolbars work. I won't say everyone loves it because I'm sure some have their reservations. But I'm confident enough based on the feedback so far from several hundred Beta testers that we have taken a step in the right direction.

I guess you'll see soon enough and can make your own minds up for a month on trial!

Manual... I think we provide an incredible amount of help online though the product help and various other resources. In this day and age I also think these are richer and better ways to explain things. If you think we are missing something with this let me know and I'll either point it our to you or ensure we include it.

There are also people out there who have written manuals... just as people write manuals for Word, InDesign etc... so if you do want to have something you can read like a book then perhaps look for one of these. Here's a few places to start from:

http://multifarious.filkin.com/sdl-sustenance/

http://tradosstudiomanual.com/

Paul

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
That's not usually a problem with the ribbon Sep 21, 2013

dnitzpon wrote:
No offense, but there is one thing I would really like developers to understand: Most power users (which in the CAT world are most users) like to learn their keyboard shortcuts once and then use them forever. ... So I would be really grateful (actually it is more something I expect as a minimum, but keep being disappointed about it by developers) if my Alt+this+that memory would not need days of trial-and-error retraining.

I am not usually a supporter of ribbon interface, but the "retraining" problem affects those who are more accustomed to using the mouse, not the keyboard.

For MS Office, for example, all the keyboard shortcuts I had ingrained in muscle memory still work. I believe that will be true of Studio as well.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Quality, not quantity Sep 21, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Manual... I think we provide an incredible amount of help online though the product help and various other resources. In this day and age I also think these are richer and better ways to explain things. If you think we are missing something with this let me know and I'll either point it our to you or ensure we include it.

Hi Paul,

SDL indeed provides an incredible *amount* of online help - the problem is not the quantity: it's the quality: SDL's documentation (and Trados documentation before it) simply is not organized and written in a way that easily help users.

The problem is not that it is sloppily or badly written - It's not a question of typos, misspelling, or grammar errors. The problem, as far as I can see, is that the documentation (I'm talking of the SDL Studio and especially of the Multiterm help systems) seems to be designed for someone who has utterly different needs than a normal user.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Very happy to discuss this one... Sep 21, 2013

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

The problem is not that it is sloppily or badly written - It's not a question of typos, misspelling, or grammar errors. The problem, as far as I can see, is that the documentation (I'm talking of the SDL Studio and especially of the Multiterm help systems) seems to be designed for someone who has utterly different needs than a normal user.

Hi Riccardo,

What are the needs of a normal user that we would need to tackle differently? Perhaps you can take a single small example (or a large one) of something we provide for a normal user that is inadequate and then explain how we could improve it? I know it's hard to nail this kind of thing down as a whole but if you are specific it might help me to see what we're missing from your perspective... and that of others.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »