Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
What do you like about Studio 2014 so far?
Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:59
Spanish
+ ...
Restoring of files Oct 8, 2013

DSC wrote:

from my point of view, the rapidity of Studio when opening and saving files and the new autosave function are worth the price of an upgrade. You win so much time and you don't have to bother saving the xliff while translating. You can configure your programm to have an autosave each minute!

Not only there's an autosave function. If for some reason, Studio or your computer crashes, Studio saves a backup of the file. So you're able to restore a file even if there's an older saved version.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's great there now is an autosave function.. Oct 8, 2013

.. but wasn't it overdue?

Let's not praise someone for finally doing what was neglected for years. Still, Studio is continually being improved on various levels and that is a good thing.

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Not only there's an autosave function. If for some reason, Studio or your computer crashes, Studio saves a backup of the file. So you're able to restore a file even if there's an older saved version.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:59
French to German
+ ...
A big step forward ... and there is more to come Oct 8, 2013

Although I was also sceptical about the ribbon interface, I really like it. One of the big advantage apart from the neat and logical structure is that you now have more vertical space on the monitor compared to Studio 2011 which - if you displayed all 5 or 6 available toolbars - took up about a third of the height of the screen. In Studio 2014, you can even retract the ribbon so that it shows up only when you need a function.

Performance has also been largely improved mainly for pre
... See more
Although I was also sceptical about the ribbon interface, I really like it. One of the big advantage apart from the neat and logical structure is that you now have more vertical space on the monitor compared to Studio 2011 which - if you displayed all 5 or 6 available toolbars - took up about a third of the height of the screen. In Studio 2014, you can even retract the ribbon so that it shows up only when you need a function.

Performance has also been largely improved mainly for preparing projects and for saving. I was working on a document (a manual in Word), which in Studio 2011 took a bit more than 4 minutes every time I hit CTRL-S. I transferred my project to Studio 2014 and the same file now saves in about 3 seconds!

Let me also mention some other new features I really like:

- the fact that CTRL-ENTER now skips locked segments (I use segment locking a lot, especially for segments where there is nothing to translate such as numbers, citations, etc. and which would correspond to a copy source)

- the capability to merge files on the fly (virtual merge), very useful when you work on a manual with several chapters and make heavy use of the Display Filter

Finally, the various links to resources that have now been integrated into the ribbon and the Welcome view, which make it much easier for non experienced users to find the resources they need such as the knowledge base, tutorials, videos, etc.

Even the installed Open Exchange applications are now directly accessible by simply clicking on a link inside Studio. Thanks to SDL for having listened to us and having implemented these features.

As Jerzy already pointed out in his post, we went through a long and intensive beta phase for this product and there have been a lot of discussions (especially about the ribbon). All these contributions of the community of beta testers have led to many last minute changes and enhancements, which have made their way into the product that you can use now. Some of our suggestions unfortunately came too late and will be incoporated into one of the next releases. So, stay tuned, this excellent product ist still getting better and better.

Walter
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please stay on point; please open a new thread for discussing problems with Multiterm. Thank you
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:59
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A kind request to stick to the main topic Oct 10, 2013

To all users of this thread.

Although sharing the pains of some here, I'd like to kindly remind that, as a creator of the thread, i'd like to see what we like in the CAT, rather than duplicating a list of bugs for which there are separated threads (Bugs and shortcomings), and where i have listed the bugs and issues found to date.

The reason for this is trying to keep Positive and Negative sides separated.

Thanks for your understanding...
See more
To all users of this thread.

Although sharing the pains of some here, I'd like to kindly remind that, as a creator of the thread, i'd like to see what we like in the CAT, rather than duplicating a list of bugs for which there are separated threads (Bugs and shortcomings), and where i have listed the bugs and issues found to date.

The reason for this is trying to keep Positive and Negative sides separated.

Thanks for your understanding

Enrico
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please stay on point; please open a new thread for discussing problems with Multiterm. Thank you
AliMayField
AliMayField
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:59
French to English
What I like about Studio 2014 Oct 11, 2013

Back on topic, here are some of the reasons I love the new product:

It looks good, it handles well, and I love the way it works with my Win8 touchscreen

It is so 2011-compliant that my 2011-using clients don't know when I've used 2014 to open, work on and return a package

It is logical in the way it is laid out, I love the new, improved 'Microsoft-ish' UI (layout/functionality/shortcuts etc), which is what Microsoft users need when they buy new software
... See more
Back on topic, here are some of the reasons I love the new product:

It looks good, it handles well, and I love the way it works with my Win8 touchscreen

It is so 2011-compliant that my 2011-using clients don't know when I've used 2014 to open, work on and return a package

It is logical in the way it is laid out, I love the new, improved 'Microsoft-ish' UI (layout/functionality/shortcuts etc), which is what Microsoft users need when they buy new software

There are little tweaks that simply make it more fun to use e.g. mouse wheel clicks through the tabs on the ribbon, making it quicker to find what you need

It opens faster, in fact everything's faster, even Verify in Review... even Autopropagate with a filter set!

It 'learns' things better, automatically creating a new folder named after the project package, in the right directory, no longer just 'Project #'

It makes useful functions that were once hidden away much more accessible to new users - also to existing users who haven't got to know 2011 in depth

Virtual merge is soooo useful plus multiple files that have been merged at project creation are much faster too

Display filter has improved, in functionality and accessibility

Autosave is great, but if like me you have an 'embedded' habit of hitting Ctrl+S, it's very fast

I could continue but, in summary, I just love it!

Ali
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reposted as a new thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/257926
Wladyslaw Janowski
Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Can this feature be disabled? Nov 4, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Can someone perhaps post a screencast of the new 'automatic concordance' feature I have heard so many people mention? I am curious what it is.

Michael

Here's an example of a segment that brought up no matches at the default setting of 70% as the minimum match value in my TM. Automatic concordance was triggered and I got a useful result.
Note that the 73% in the concordance window reflects the accuracy of the concordance finding, not the initial TM look up (something that many people get confused about).

Automatic concordance gives the same results as selecting the whole of the source segment and clicking F3.
So it's basically a time saving device. By the time you have thought that a certain chunk of a segment sounds very similar to something you have translated before, Studio has already offered you its findings.

Hi Emma,
As many other features, this one can be found useful by some translators, but also disturbing by others. For those, who would be happy with this feature beeing still active, it is of course time saving, if it starts automatically. I never used this feature in old Trados, because it displays too many "hits". Even for punctuation marks. In normal case I would of course not start concordance for most of "hits" displayed in your exemplary segment, shown on the screenshot. But if it just appears, you will spontaneously look there to see, what's there. And this is no time saver anymore. My intention is not to tell others, if they should appreciate and use the feature, but as others (like me) could find disturbing, there should be a possibility to disable it. Is this possible?
Regards
WJ

Wladyslaw Janowski
Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Really useful? Nov 4, 2013

Claudia Alvis wrote:

DSC wrote:

from my point of view, the rapidity of Studio when opening and saving files and the new autosave function are worth the price of an upgrade. You win so much time and you don't have to bother saving the xliff while translating. You can configure your programm to have an autosave each minute!

Hi Claudia,
Do you experienced a prove of how autosave works in case of a crash?
I cannot imagine, how can Studio autosave the current state of the project/document, when it just crashes (or if just the system crashes).
This could work (and this works also without autosave feature) for Studio as for other software, if you shut down Windows by accident, when Studio was just open. In this case Windows is trying to close all active programs or is displaying prompts - if you are there and react fast, you can cancel the shutdown, save unsaved documents and manually close programs.
Or I'm missing something?
WJ

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Concordance / autosave features Nov 4, 2013

Wladyslaw Janowski wrote:
... there should be a possibility to disable it [automatic concordance - N.]. Is this possible?
Regards
WJ

Options - Editor - Concordance search window - untick the "Perform search if the TM lookup returns no value" option

I cannot imagine, how can Studio autosave the current state of the project/document, when it just crashes (or if just the system crashes).
WJ

It works exactly as the autosave function in MS Word, for example. Your work is saved each 30, or 15, or 5 minutes (depending on your preferences). So if your system crashes you lose your work after the last autosave only.

And one more thing: as seen from the thread title, it is about Studio 2014 features that people like. In case you would like to discuss any of these features, please open a new thread or use one of the existing threads with general discussion of the features, e.g. http://www.proz.com/topic/253030

Thank you.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:59
Spanish
+ ...
Automatic save Nov 4, 2013

Claudia Alvis wrote:

DSC wrote:

Hi Claudia,
This could work (and this works also without autosave feature) for Studio as for other software, if you shut down Windows by accident, when Studio was just open. In this case Windows is trying to close all active programs or is displaying prompts - if you are there and react fast, you can cancel the shutdown, save unsaved documents and manually close programs.
WJ

I don't know how it works, I haven't even seen/found it on the Beta forums; my guess is that this is an under-the rug feature until it's perfected. But in a couple of instances my system crashed before the auto-save saved the file and when I restarted Studio, I was prompted to choose between the auto-saved version or the recovery version. The recovery is better in my opinion. Maybe someone from SDL could clarify this better.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:59
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The function is not hidden Nov 15, 2013

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

DSC wrote:

Hi Claudia,
WJ

I don't know how it works, I haven't even seen/found it on the Beta forums; my guess is that this is an under-the rug feature until it's perfected. But in a couple of instances my system crashed before the auto-save saved the file and when I restarted Studio, I was prompted to choose between the auto-saved version or the recovery version. The recovery is better in my opinion. Maybe someone from SDL could clarify this better.

I get that notification each time Studio crashes. This means that i get it at least once a day or every two days. And it works good. I also went to check the last changes i had made and they are there, each time. So this specific feature on my system is consistently good.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you like about Studio 2014 so far?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »