Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
What do you like about Studio 2014 so far?
Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC
MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 12:52
Italian to German
+ ...
I highly welcome again Auto-concordance; also 1 interface for any tasks Nov 23, 2013

Hello,

Studio 2014 has grown to a very strong solution for translators (I can't speak for PM's) since its first release of 2009.

One of the features that I have strongly suggested to re-introduce is finally there and is a big time saver: Auto-Concordance.
It helps not doing futile database searches, getting consistency in your translations and helps increasing the quality of expressions taken into the Multiterm termbase.
I really have enjoyed this feature e
... See more
Hello,

Studio 2014 has grown to a very strong solution for translators (I can't speak for PM's) since its first release of 2009.

One of the features that I have strongly suggested to re-introduce is finally there and is a big time saver: Auto-Concordance.
It helps not doing futile database searches, getting consistency in your translations and helps increasing the quality of expressions taken into the Multiterm termbase.
I really have enjoyed this feature even in Trados 2007.

This feature must however be improved further, in my opinion.

Especially, the auto-concordance is not of a big help if the proposed expressions are wildly distributed through the segment (but do fit the percentage anyway): most of the time, in such a case, there will be nothing helpful to retrieve, things also being out of context. This should be given a much lower priority in the algorithm, unaware of the percentile setting.
What really matters are those expressions comming IN A ROW, e.g. "Minimum system requirements". The single terms are not a problem, however the succession of these terms make it an important expression of its own for the translation. Studio 2014 fails here, even with the minimum setting of 30% and a rather short sentence. (It's assumed here that the expression is not already shown in your termbases, and no fuzzy match appears).

I hope the developement team will further boost this useful feature.

I also really like Studio 2014 by showing everything useful in one single well-organized interface. You can work really fast and effectively.

Congats and cheers,
Mike
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Mats Linder
Mats Linder  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Studio manual -- updated Jan 18, 2014

I hope it's OK for me to inform you that the Studio manual in its 2014 version was published in November and is available at tradosstudiomanual.com.
Regards,
Mats

Mats Linder
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Undo function Jan 23, 2014

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

I have just realized they have improved the UNDO function and despite being a minor functionality it comes handy when you do something really bad you want to undo. It's also selective, as it allows you to UNDO a certain action from a drop down menu.

How can you select a certain action? I can only select a number of actions starting from the latest and including all down to where I stop.

/Mats

[Edited at 2014-01-23 18:16 GMT]

Mats Linder
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Fast, direct feature access through RIBBON Jan 23, 2014

[quote]hhl wrote:

Studio 2014 still offers the traditional menu, too

How?

/Mats

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 18:52
English to German
+ ...
Biggest plus - bringing back Trados 2007 features Feb 3, 2014

The biggest advances in Studio Studio are the autosave and the automatic concordance search.
The fact that both of these features were available in Trados 2007 but not in Studio 2009 and 2011 despite requiring only minimal programming effort is kind of tragic, of course.

I kind of like the ribbon functionality.
The fact that I can carry over comments into the word document is also quite nice, the same applies for translating comments in Studio.
It would be nice if
... See more
The biggest advances in Studio Studio are the autosave and the automatic concordance search.
The fact that both of these features were available in Trados 2007 but not in Studio 2009 and 2011 despite requiring only minimal programming effort is kind of tragic, of course.

I kind of like the ribbon functionality.
The fact that I can carry over comments into the word document is also quite nice, the same applies for translating comments in Studio.
It would be nice if I could easily configure how comments are handled every time I create a project, though.

So what core functionality is still lacking?

1. Concordance search is unreliable (doesn't find terms) and can't be configured to do something as simple as finding a two-word string.
This is unacceptable. At minimum there needs to be the option to do a "dumb" exact search like you can under TM View.

2. Multiterm term recognition still sucks. Come on guys, it can't be THAT difficult? Same thing for capitalization.

3. Multiterm terminology should be offered the way it is in Wordfast. You shouldn't have to press a special key/key combination to place it.

4. There should only be a single TM for both language directions, and it should not enforce regional language variants (US/UK).

If these problems were remedied, I'd consider Studio a truly good piece of software.
There's a lot of other things that could be improved, there always are, but these are key sticking points that affect core functionality, in particular 1 and 2.
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Forced to get it? Feb 21, 2014

I am afraid I will be forced to go to 2014 just because the track change feature has been disabled in the sdlxliff converter version available in the "openexchange" shop.

I am reviewing a medium size project in batches, and I guess that the colleague who is translating it is not happy to receive final sdlxliff files with separate track change word files for approval. He/she is probably not even aware of the Export feature of Trados 2011/2014, or for some reason does not want to use
... See more
I am afraid I will be forced to go to 2014 just because the track change feature has been disabled in the sdlxliff converter version available in the "openexchange" shop.

I am reviewing a medium size project in batches, and I guess that the colleague who is translating it is not happy to receive final sdlxliff files with separate track change word files for approval. He/she is probably not even aware of the Export feature of Trados 2011/2014, or for some reason does not want to use it. Result: the agency is asking me if I can send track change sdxliff files = buy 2014, and I am afraid that pointing at the export feature (as I just did) might put in danger future assignments.

In fact to me this looks just like another tax and, from my long experience, I am bracing myself for the usual jeopardy and long tail of disruption associated with a new Trados Studio "upgrade".
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
He may not be the only one... Feb 21, 2014

... unaware of what their software can do Luca.

Whilst you will benefit from 2014 I think you should buy it for the right reasons. So note this:

1. Track changes in the sdlxliff is available in 2011
2. Track changes in the sdlxliff converter in the OpenExchange has not been disabled

I don’t really understand your post as there isn't a question, so feel free to elaborate if you can’t see how to do something and we might be able to help.

... See more
... unaware of what their software can do Luca.

Whilst you will benefit from 2014 I think you should buy it for the right reasons. So note this:

1. Track changes in the sdlxliff is available in 2011
2. Track changes in the sdlxliff converter in the OpenExchange has not been disabled

I don’t really understand your post as there isn't a question, so feel free to elaborate if you can’t see how to do something and we might be able to help.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Patricia Bowden
Patricia Bowden
Italy
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
+ ...
QA check that actually works Feb 21, 2014

My favorite new feature is the improved QA check.

The QA check in 2011 only worked when it was checking for tags, bow it works on almost all levels. It can (successfully) check for things like inconsistent translations, inconsistent use of terminology, and fuzzy matches that were accepted without any editing.

This feature has now saved me from having to use a completely different program to run my QA checks.

The only thing I wish it did correctly is the
... See more
My favorite new feature is the improved QA check.

The QA check in 2011 only worked when it was checking for tags, bow it works on almost all levels. It can (successfully) check for things like inconsistent translations, inconsistent use of terminology, and fuzzy matches that were accepted without any editing.

This feature has now saved me from having to use a completely different program to run my QA checks.

The only thing I wish it did correctly is the QA checker still cannot handle numbers. It marks some numbers as incorrect when they are clearly not.

Still, this QA check is a huge improvement over the last one.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Speed and alignment Apr 11, 2014

Hi - yes, it is SO much faster!

What I also really bought it for is the alignment - it works very well and it will be STUNNING once we have the UI that Paul said will be coming out in SP1!

(and once the object reference issue that may occur with some files has a workaround/fix).

I am, though, disappointed with the interface, in which the changes are principally cosmetic. They impose a reorganisation of the menus (and hence, change in working practices), bu
... See more
Hi - yes, it is SO much faster!

What I also really bought it for is the alignment - it works very well and it will be STUNNING once we have the UI that Paul said will be coming out in SP1!

(and once the object reference issue that may occur with some files has a workaround/fix).

I am, though, disappointed with the interface, in which the changes are principally cosmetic. They impose a reorganisation of the menus (and hence, change in working practices), but without the levels of configurability that I would expect in the environment suggested by the new look and feel (Office 2010 style), so I do have high hopes that SP1 will offer more in that area.
Collapse

Britt Elli
Britt Elli  Identity Verified
Norway
Swedish to Norwegian
+ ...
Apr 30, 2014

[Edited at 2014-04-30 13:41 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please kindly re-post as a new thread. Thank you
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Asked to repost as a new thread
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you like about Studio 2014 so far?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »