Apple Mac and SDL Studio 2011: workability
Thread poster: francoisebou
francoisebou
francoisebou
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:42
Oct 20, 2013

Hello everybody,

We are about to purchase an Apple computer. This is the first time we are going to use Apple systems in translating.

So my question is about using SDL Studio 2011;

Does Studio work properly on Apple?

Have you experienced any technical issues that prevent you from working on SDL Studio 2011 at 100%?

Any suggestions?

Françoise

Alessandra Chiappini
Alessandra Chiappini  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
German to Italian
+ ...
Apple + Parallels Oct 21, 2013

Dear Françoise,
Trados is a Microsoft company and you can not install it directly in an Apple computer.
Together with the Apple computer you have to buy another program (Parallels) where you can install Trados. I did the same some months ago, it is working properly.

Have a nice day.
Alessandra Chiappini

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Virtual PCs work – for the most part. :-) Oct 21, 2013

Alessandra Chiappini wrote:

you have to buy another program (Parallels)

Parallels is a company that offers several software products. What is needed here is "Parallels Desktop for Mac".

where you can install Trados

Neither Trados nor any other Windows application can be installed in Parallels. Actually, Parallels sets up a Virtual (i. e. simulated) Machine. In this machine you can install an additional operating system, e. g. Windows (so you might have to obtain an additional Windows license!). Afterwards you can install Trados within this Windows.

Thanks this complicated approach many things will work. But surely there are softwares/tools/actions that need a real Windows machine, not a virtualized one. So one should ask users in an Apple forum for NOT-working things.

Didem Doran
Didem Doran  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
English to Turkish
+ ...
I use TeamViewer and it works just fine Oct 21, 2013

Hi,

I have recently switched to Mac, and I just installed TeamViewer, a remote desktop program that works perfectly. So whenever I need to translate, I connect to my old PC and use Trados.

First I thought this would only be a quick solution and at some point I would have to install a virtual Windows OS on my mac, but so far it works just fine. Has anybody else tried it?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:42
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Remote Desktop Connection Oct 21, 2013

Doran wrote: Has anybody else tried it?

For about two years, I used the (free) Microsoft app Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a Windows PC that ran XP and DejaVu (and not much else). It was OK, but I'm glad I switched to Mac only.

Cheers,

Hans

Adam Dean
Adam Dean  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Recommend Bootcamp with Parallels Oct 22, 2013

I switched from a PC to Mac at the start of this year and it's one of the best decisions that I ever made. After years of frustration with PCs and Windows, my Mac is an absolute pleasure to use.

I actually took a two-step approach to using PC-based software like Trados on my Mac. Every Mac comes with software called Bootcamp that can be used to create a Windows partition on your Mac. You tell your Mac to allocate a certain amount of its hard drive to Windows and install a full versi
... See more
I switched from a PC to Mac at the start of this year and it's one of the best decisions that I ever made. After years of frustration with PCs and Windows, my Mac is an absolute pleasure to use.

I actually took a two-step approach to using PC-based software like Trados on my Mac. Every Mac comes with software called Bootcamp that can be used to create a Windows partition on your Mac. You tell your Mac to allocate a certain amount of its hard drive to Windows and install a full version of Windows to this partition. (You need to buy Windows separately - I went for Windows 7). When you switch your Mac on, you can then hold down the Option (Alt) key and choose whether to boot to OS X or Windows. If you choose Windows, your computer behaves exactly as if it is a PC.

However, I wanted to get the benefits of using a Mac as a Mac, which is where Parallels comes in. When you install Parallels, you can either create a new virtual PC or link it to your Bootcamp partition. If you link it to Bootcamp, Parallels shares files and programs with the separate partition that you have created specifically for Windows. This means that you can install Trados in Bootcamp and use it when booting into Windows. However, you can also access Trados directly from OS X. It simply opens in a window as if it were a standard Mac application. You can even choose to change the appearance of Windows elements like the Maximize, Minimize buttons so that they appear exactly the same as Mac UI elements. The process is so simple that you forget entirely that you're running Windows in the background and just treat Trados as a Mac program.

The benefit of this two-step approach is that you can use Windows programs directly from your Mac, but if you need to work in an entirely PC environment, you can exit OS X and boot to Windows directly.

Parallels also supports multiple virtual machines, so you can install Windows 7, Windows 8 and even operating systems like Linux, Chrome and Android all at the same time.

The only slight issue I had to begin with was that the keyboard shortcuts in Trados conflicted with some standard Mac commands. I had to remap them using one of the options in Parallels, but it didn't take long to get used to the new shortcuts that I created.
Collapse

francoisebou
francoisebou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Adam and Rolf Oct 28, 2013

Indeed I had already heard the partitioning solution on Mac to install any Windows and I was hoping somebody would mention it! I had never heard of Parallels though!

Btw, Microsoft did not buy Trados as Alessandra mentions, they only bought 20% of the shares apparently: http://www.scorpioncomputerservices.com/microsoft-trados-2.html

I think I seem
... See more
Indeed I had already heard the partitioning solution on Mac to install any Windows and I was hoping somebody would mention it! I had never heard of Parallels though!

Btw, Microsoft did not buy Trados as Alessandra mentions, they only bought 20% of the shares apparently: http://www.scorpioncomputerservices.com/microsoft-trados-2.html

I think I seem to be a bit like Adam about PCs... I keep on having "regular" troubles with Windows lack of stability (I mean, most of the time I can expect to have a bug on a PCs now) and many people in the artistic world use Mac for its graphics and audio quality but also for its stability and easy workability.
So after reviewing many comments on Apple Mac, there is a stability quality apparently and this is why I want to switch to go and try Mac.

How much is Parallels?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wait ! Oct 28, 2013

francoisebou wrote:

I think I seem to be a bit like Adam about PCs... I keep on having "regular" troubles with Windows lack of stability (I mean, most of the time I can expect to have a bug on a PCs now) and many people in the artistic world use Mac for its graphics and audio quality but also for its stability and easy workability.
So after reviewing many comments on Apple Mac, there is a stability quality apparently and this is why I want to switch to go and try Mac.

How much is Parallels?

Now that MacOS Mavericks has been released, there are reports of numerous system glitches. This always happens with new releases of the MacOS. My advice would be to hold off until Christmas, by which time Apple will have released 2 or 3 updates for the OS, to fix it.

In the meantime you can explore Parallels Desktop here (see URL below). The website is excellent and very helpful. It costs £64.99.

http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/

[Edited at 2013-10-28 11:04 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 21:42
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Wait a bit longer... Oct 28, 2013

Tom in London wrote:
Now that MacOS Mavericks has been released, there are reports of numerous system glitches.

I heard of only one, so far: SMB network. But it's a good advice anyway. I'll wait until the end of next month, longer if necessary.

On https://www.macupdate.com you can usually (but not always) buy Parallels or VMWare for USD 50 in a bundle with about 12 other apps. So (sorry, Tom, for that so) it's not a bad idea to wait for that, while in the meantime you can try the free VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org VirtualBox is not in the same league as Parallels and VMWare, but hey, it's free. Or go for OS X only, of course.

Cheers,

Hans

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just go PC Oct 28, 2013

If Studio will be your main software tool, don't get a mac. There is no reason to choose a solution that complicates things for no reason by running your main tool in a virtualized environment. It makes everything more inconvenient and slow, and it's just one more thing to go wrong. AFAIK you can install Windows on Apple computers if you're really in love with the hardware.

Of course if you will run OSX-compatible software most of the time and you will only need Studio occasionally,
... See more
If Studio will be your main software tool, don't get a mac. There is no reason to choose a solution that complicates things for no reason by running your main tool in a virtualized environment. It makes everything more inconvenient and slow, and it's just one more thing to go wrong. AFAIK you can install Windows on Apple computers if you're really in love with the hardware.

Of course if you will run OSX-compatible software most of the time and you will only need Studio occasionally, then it might make sense to run OSX.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How long? Oct 28, 2013

Anyone interested in reading about the glitches people are encountering with Mavericks can go to the Apple Discussion Forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/os_x_mavericks?view=discussions

[Edited at 2013-10-28 12:51 GMT]

Juan Pagola
Juan Pagola  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
TRADOS Studio on Mac Apr 21, 2014

Hi everyone,

I've installed Parallels on Mavericks. My Windows 7 virtual machine works just fine, I was able to install TRADOS Studio 2011, 2014 and many other PC software tools.

You can also set up a BootCamp partition on your mac to run Windows natively.

Cheers,

Juan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apple Mac and SDL Studio 2011: workability

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »