Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Auto-propagation absurdly slow (Studio 2014)
Thread poster: Tomi Dobaj
Octavio Ferrer
Octavio Ferrer
Mexico
Local time: 08:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Processor types Aug 22, 2014

It's been a while and nobody has post on this matter, so I decided to do it here.

I had a Core2Duo Conre and i found SDL Studio 2011 to be unbearably slow.
I did some tests with a friend of mine on this laptop, which is a Corei5 (i think it was a Sandy-Bridge) - I do not remember the product name, but it has 2 cores and 4 threads. And it was way faster than mi Core2Duo. By checking the cores use, we noticed that while the SDL Studio use the 2 Corei5 cores, some tasks, such a
... See more
It's been a while and nobody has post on this matter, so I decided to do it here.

I had a Core2Duo Conre and i found SDL Studio 2011 to be unbearably slow.
I did some tests with a friend of mine on this laptop, which is a Corei5 (i think it was a Sandy-Bridge) - I do not remember the product name, but it has 2 cores and 4 threads. And it was way faster than mi Core2Duo. By checking the cores use, we noticed that while the SDL Studio use the 2 Corei5 cores, some tasks, such as autopropagation, would use all the 4 threads.
We decided to make some further testing. We set the CPU to work on only 2 threads (which kind of "sums up" the speed for two-threaded applications). It did boost the performance on some tasks, but autopropagation was actually slower.
I thought I should buy a Core i7, since it had 8 threads and 4-cores (Note: some are 4-threaded). But then I decided it could be a better investment a brand-new 8-core AMD (AMD FX-8350). It is quite less expensive and it was better than my friend's Core i5 on many performance tests.

To my supprise is was too slow. I even OC'ed my processor. SDL Studio would actually use the 8 cores, and it was still really slow. SDL Studio was faster on my old Core2Duo Conroe. Nevertheless, I wouldn't go back since my new CPU was way faster in everything else.
I tried many hacks, I even tried to use a virtual enviroment and had the processor work as a Core i7 (I just tried, I really wasn't expecting anything). But it was pointless... I actually thought that my 8-core could be faulty.

My 8-core died somes months later due to some power issues. So I changed it for an AMD 4-core 4300 (since I couldn't afford again an 8-core or changing to an Intel CPU for that matter)
I actually though I hopping my old 8 core was faulty and now I would see a better performance. However, no luck. It is very slow.

I just don't open large files or I reestart SDL Studio every few hours. This made me think it could be the RAM, but it is not - I don't think I've ever seen it been used over 40% its capacity.

So, as far I am corcerned, it is a compatibility with the AMD CPU technology. I think no one is complaining because Intel was better with Core2Duo, and it surpassed AMD by lauching its Corei series. So no one is buying AMD. It would be great to see some people speaking up on this matter.

I am changing to X99 as soon as it is available. The 8-core 16- threaded Haswell-E processor sounds good enough.

(P.S. speed-wise, nothing beats Windows XP + Workbench + Word 2003 (2007+ are slower, you can tell by using fuzzy), even run on a Virtual PC in your Windows 7+ or Linux, it is a killer.)
Collapse

Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 16:29
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
? Aug 23, 2014

I am not sure what on earth are you talking about - Studio is a 32-bit app, it does not support multithreading.

Strange experience you have with different CPUs, I will definitely take a note and avoid AMDs then Thanks for sharing

Lynne Hempton
Lynne Hempton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:29
Italian to English
+ ...
Great solution, thanks! Mar 27, 2018

Tommy Lund wrote:

I have found that if you just uncheck your translation memories and termbases before going to all your numbers, etc. that will be autopropagated, it works like a charm. I just did a job where 3100 instances of numbers were autopropagated in about 2 seconds. With translation memories and termbases activated, the same task would typically take somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

This was such a good solution, thank you! At the rate it was going it was going to take about 3 hours to autopropagate the years in a 50k word document! It did it in about 10 seconds with the TMs disabled. Can't thank you enough

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-propagation absurdly slow (Studio 2014)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »