Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 08:45
French to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2014

Hi,

I'm a brand-new user of Trados and have recently installed Studio 2014. I'm trying to translate a single document, and when I try to connect to my file-based TM I get an error message:

"The translation provider does not support this language pair - French (France) - English (United Kingdom"

I'm at a loss. I set the languages for this particular job to French (France) to English (UK), and I also selected them in the options tab. By translation provider,
... See more
Hi,

I'm a brand-new user of Trados and have recently installed Studio 2014. I'm trying to translate a single document, and when I try to connect to my file-based TM I get an error message:

"The translation provider does not support this language pair - French (France) - English (United Kingdom"

I'm at a loss. I set the languages for this particular job to French (France) to English (UK), and I also selected them in the options tab. By translation provider, does Trados mean me? It somehow has not understood that these are the languages I translate from and to? Can anyone give me some advice? It would be much appreciated!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
English
Most likely... Apr 14, 2014

... you are using languages that were selected when you opened the file for translation that don't match those in your settings. Perhaps try again and this time pay particular attention to the languages that are selected when you first open the file.

Regards

Paul

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still getting error with right languages selected Apr 14, 2014

Thanks for your advice. However, I have selected French (France) to English (UK) under options for both languages and language pairs before opening the file. It still gives me the error message.

I don't know if this could be because Trados seems to have preloaded a sample project with French, German, and Japanese, without my language pair?

Is there anywhere else to indicate what languages the translator provider translates into?

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More information re error Apr 14, 2014

I'm also getting an error message that says, "No translator providers have been specified for French (France) > English (UK). Review the Translation Memories and Automated Translations settings for this language pair." I've tried to find a place to specify myself as the language provider (though I don't know who else it would be since I have the freelance version) and I can't do it. Any thoughts?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Step-by-step instructions Apr 15, 2014

Kate Deimling wrote:

Hi,

Try following the step-by-step instructions I wrote on translating your very first file in Studio:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/

HTH,
Emma

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If the instructions from Emma... Apr 15, 2014

... don't help please drop me an email and I’ll walk you through it. It will probably be faster and avoid too much frustration.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working better, thanks! Apr 15, 2014

Thanks, Emma, for the link to your blog post, which was very helpful. I went through these simple steps and then tried again with my real document, and I believe the problem was that the TM was supposed to be UK English but was labeled and identified as US English, so when I chose UK from the dropdown menu it didn't match up.

Paul, thanks for your offer of help as well.

Since you've both been so helpful thus far, may I impose on you with one more question?

... See more
Thanks, Emma, for the link to your blog post, which was very helpful. I went through these simple steps and then tried again with my real document, and I believe the problem was that the TM was supposed to be UK English but was labeled and identified as US English, so when I chose UK from the dropdown menu it didn't match up.

Paul, thanks for your offer of help as well.

Since you've both been so helpful thus far, may I impose on you with one more question?

I started translating my real document, and in over 200 segments the TM only provided 2 matches. Now, I've heard that the usefulness of CAT tools depends on the quality of the TMs, and I can only assume that this one is not very good, or is designed for very different kinds of projects for the same client (it was provided to me by a translation agency). My question is: is there a way to look at a TM and see all its contents before associating it with a project, to find out if it's any good or not without wasting your time?

Thanks again!

-Kate
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014: error accessing TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »