Fanny Caudron
Fanny Caudron  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:00
English to French
+ ...
Apr 18, 2014

Hi there,

Is there anyone who can help me with merging TermBases in MultiTerm 2014?
Here is the thing : I created several TermBases with different structures. Now, I would like to merge them into a big TermBase.
What I need to know is :
- do they have to have the exact same structure to merge them? Of course, they have to have fields in common (at least a language) but what about the secondary fields such as "definition", "source", "date"... Some of my TermBases
... See more
Hi there,

Is there anyone who can help me with merging TermBases in MultiTerm 2014?
Here is the thing : I created several TermBases with different structures. Now, I would like to merge them into a big TermBase.
What I need to know is :
- do they have to have the exact same structure to merge them? Of course, they have to have fields in common (at least a language) but what about the secondary fields such as "definition", "source", "date"... Some of my TermBases include those but some other don't. So do I have to add them even though they'll remain empty?

I tried to merge two TermBases and an error message reading: "MultiTerm encountered irregularities during import. Please check the information in the log file." popped-up. I checked the log file and it was empty (as usual!). I also tried to merge two TermBases with the same structure and it worked properly.
- Is structure the reason why I couldn't merge the other TermBases?

- I mean, can't my entries read as follows? :

Language
term
source : "..."
Language
term
definition : "..."
date : "..."

other term
note : "..."

Some of my TermBases are bilingual and others are multilingual, do I have to add a field for each language in each Excel file (that I'll leave blank when not necessary)?

Your help is much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Cheers!

Fanny
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
English
Importing Apr 20, 2014

Hi Fanny,

As long as your field names match then when you create your MultiTerm XML to import you should be fine and you can import a bilingual glossary into a more complex termbase.

Feel free to drop me an email with your termbases (if that's ok for you) and I'll be happy to take a look.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

[Edited at 2014-04-20 20:52 GMT]

Fanny Caudron
Fanny Caudron  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:00
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same field names? Apr 22, 2014

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your reply.
That's what I thought : they MUST have the same field names.
Then, is it possible to merge a TB that is a glossary (with only two corresponding terms in two languages) with a more complex TB, such as a multilingual dictionary including terms, definitions and examples, as long as they have field names in common?
I tried several times but for some reason it never worked.

I forgot to mention that I use .xls files t
... See more
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your reply.
That's what I thought : they MUST have the same field names.
Then, is it possible to merge a TB that is a glossary (with only two corresponding terms in two languages) with a more complex TB, such as a multilingual dictionary including terms, definitions and examples, as long as they have field names in common?
I tried several times but for some reason it never worked.

I forgot to mention that I use .xls files that I convert with GlossaryConverter (I never managed to open a file converted with MultiTerm Convert, I always get an error message).

I will have some other tries. I'll keep you posted.

Best regards,

Fanny
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
English
Exactly... Apr 22, 2014

Hi Fanny,

I did exactly the same thing because as your post came in I was actually preparing a presentation that included how to do this very thing. I also use the Glossary Converter for this and it works as you describe without a problem.

If you are able to share your files I can take a look?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge TBs in SDL Multiterm 2014?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »