Thread poster: JosephR
JosephR
JosephR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:15
English to French
Jul 18, 2014

Hello all,

So I am used to OmegaT, but I am now starting to use Trados 2014, taking small baby steps.
I have been trying the software with short XML files. The translation process is great, I finish my work and create the target file.
Here is my little problem: my source text is divided in paragraphs but my target text is a chunky text with no space - all paragraphs are gone! This is fine with a small text, but this would be quite painful on a longer one.

I
... See more
Hello all,

So I am used to OmegaT, but I am now starting to use Trados 2014, taking small baby steps.
I have been trying the software with short XML files. The translation process is great, I finish my work and create the target file.
Here is my little problem: my source text is divided in paragraphs but my target text is a chunky text with no space - all paragraphs are gone! This is fine with a small text, but this would be quite painful on a longer one.

I have been looking around but cannot seem to find my answer.
Could anyone help me out?

All the best,
Joseph
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Might be straightforward... Jul 18, 2014

... as the default settings are to normalize whitespace. So go to your XML filetype settings, then whitespace, and check "Always Preserve". Then open the file and parse it from scratch again.

Regards

Paul

JosephR
JosephR  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 23, 2014

Thank you for your input Paul.
Sadly in didn't seem to work. I did ticked "always preserve" but it still came out as a chunky one paragraph text on the other side once I generated the target text.

Maybe I didn't get the "parse it from scratch" part right. What exactly does it mean? To generate the target text?

Anyway, thank you for your input, I will try again on my next XML file and see if I missed a step.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Parsing a file Jul 23, 2014

JosephR wrote:

Thank you for your input Paul.
Sadly in didn't seem to work. I did ticked "always preserve" but it still came out as a chunky one paragraph text on the other side once I generated the target text.

Maybe I didn't get the "parse it from scratch" part right. What exactly does it mean? To generate the target text?

Anyway, thank you for your input, I will try again on my next XML file and see if I missed a step.

Hello Joseph,

I meant that after making this change to your XML filetype in File -> Options, you then need to open the XML again or create a new project with this change. This will ensure that the bilingual file you create for translation has taken into consideration the change in the filetype setting.

Generate the target text is simply an expression for saving the translated XML file... however you do it.

If you can share the file I'd be happy to take a look at it?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 - target text generated without paragraphs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »