xlsx: How do I avoid importing text into SDL?
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:16
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sep 17, 2014

Hi!
I have been using a different CAT tool, but am about to change to SDL Studio (2014). I am still rather new to it, though.
From time to time I am asked to translate xlsx files with 1 column for each language. I, therefore, copy the English column over the Norwegian, and set all columns in red except the Norwegian.
In my CAT tool I have indicated that the red text should not be imported.

In Studio I am not able to find any settings for the import of each individ
... See more
Hi!
I have been using a different CAT tool, but am about to change to SDL Studio (2014). I am still rather new to it, though.
From time to time I am asked to translate xlsx files with 1 column for each language. I, therefore, copy the English column over the Norwegian, and set all columns in red except the Norwegian.
In my CAT tool I have indicated that the red text should not be imported.

In Studio I am not able to find any settings for the import of each individual file, so I would appreciate if someone could guide me in how to handle the above scenario.

Roy
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Colour settings or hide Sep 17, 2014

You can skip a certain highlighted colour by customising the colour settings in file types. Before you import the file, go to File types > Excel 2007-2013 > color and choose the colour you want to skip.

Another way to process a single column in Studio is to hide the other columns in Excel. By default Studio won't display hidden rows/columns/sheets. This can be adjusted under "Common" in the Excel file type.

HTH,
Emma

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Colour settings or hide - thanks Sep 17, 2014

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I think the hide option will work better for me, as I have trouble seeing difference between the colours in the colour option. It would help if SDL added a bubble text saying what colour it is (I have trouble with red-green-brown, and orange, yellow and light green are also a trouble).

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

xlsx: How do I avoid importing text into SDL?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »