How can I get Microsoft Language Portal in SDL MultiTerm 2014 as British English plus Swedish?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:32
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 2, 2014

How can I get Microsoft Language Portal in SDL MultiTerm 2014 as British English plus Swedish?

I already downloaded the TBX file from Microsoft Language Portal and run it in Multiterm Convert to get the settings file for creation of the termbase in Multiterm 2014.

But the problem now is that my project is set for use of British English, whereas MLP only can be downloaded in American English plus one other language. So I wouldn't be able to use my Multiterm termbase in
... See more

I already downloaded the TBX file from Microsoft Language Portal and run it in Multiterm Convert to get the settings file for creation of the termbase in Multiterm 2014.

But the problem now is that my project is set for use of British English, whereas MLP only can be downloaded in American English plus one other language. So I wouldn't be able to use my Multiterm termbase in Studio 2014 then.

Unless it's possible somehow to first download the American English-UK English TBX file from MLP, run it in Multiterm Convert and when having the IDT file/settings file change this to include another language combination: American English-Swedish, and I then could download the TBX file also for American English-Swedish and add it first to the IDT file, and later create a termbase in SDL Multiterm 2014 with 4 index languages: American English-UK English and American English-Swedish.

Has anyone tried this yet?
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First step Oct 2, 2014

I think the first step is to convert the TBX files to Excel files. And then just copy and paste in a new Excel, so I get three index languages: English UK, English US and Swedish.

However, I'm not sure how it works later in Studio 2014 for my project (which is set to UK English). Would it be possible to search American English first, and get the hits in UK English and Swedish? Or can I only search UK English or Swedish, and can't use American English as index? Must use American Engl
... See more
I think the first step is to convert the TBX files to Excel files. And then just copy and paste in a new Excel, so I get three index languages: English UK, English US and Swedish.

However, I'm not sure how it works later in Studio 2014 for my project (which is set to UK English). Would it be possible to search American English first, and get the hits in UK English and Swedish? Or can I only search UK English or Swedish, and can't use American English as index? Must use American English as description field only?

If so (I can only use UK English and Swedish for searching), would the UK version of Microsoft Language Portal contain less terms compared to the US English version?

[Edited at 2014-10-02 03:25 GMT]
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary converter Oct 2, 2014

I think Glossary converter might work fine:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/glossaryconvertercharityedition-607.html#59774

Although they make this reservation:

"It is NOT a 100% accurate termbase converter. In particular, it does not guarantee lossless roundtrips between different file fo
... See more
I think Glossary converter might work fine:

http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/glossaryconvertercharityedition-607.html#59774

Although they make this reservation:

"It is NOT a 100% accurate termbase converter. In particular, it does not guarantee lossless roundtrips between different file formats."

So I don't know how big the risk is that there would be too many terms that would get lost in the conversion process.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The Glossary Converter... Oct 2, 2014

... does a good job of this. All you need to do is change the language in the set up after dropping the TBX into the Glossary Converter interface so it says "English" and not "English (US)". This way you'll get the option to use the termbase that is created with any flavour of English and not just English (US).

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »