Cannot open regular Excel file in SDL Studio
Thread poster: Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
Local time: 05:35
English
Oct 16, 2014

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with Excel files (*xlsx) in SDL Studio 2014 (SP1 - 11.1.4095.0)

When I attempt to open these files in Studio I get an error message saying "Invalid File format - Origin Excel 2007 v 2.0.0.0".

These files do open in Excel without problems and are neither password protected nor ready-only documents.

Simply re-saving the files solves the issue but I am wondering why these files won't open straight away as they ar
... See more
Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with Excel files (*xlsx) in SDL Studio 2014 (SP1 - 11.1.4095.0)

When I attempt to open these files in Studio I get an error message saying "Invalid File format - Origin Excel 2007 v 2.0.0.0".

These files do open in Excel without problems and are neither password protected nor ready-only documents.

Simply re-saving the files solves the issue but I am wondering why these files won't open straight away as they are.

I have tried the same files in other CAT tools and they can be opened without any issue.

Regards,

Lorenzo
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Oct 16, 2014

... they are really xls? Just guessing but perhaps the file is not what it seems. If you can share the file I'll gladly take a look and see if I can help?

Regards

Paul

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
TOPIC STARTER
File sent Oct 16, 2014

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your interest.

I have just sent you one of the files.

Regards,

Lorenzo

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Thanks for sharing the file... Oct 16, 2014

... it is actually an xls file annd not an xlsx. If you rename it as xls it opens just fine. If you try and look inside the file by unzipping it you will find that you cannot.

Studio handles binary files as binary files, and xml based files as xml based files. So if the file extension has been changed then Studio will have a problem with the file.

Regards

Paul

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
TOPIC STARTER
Works for me too! Oct 16, 2014

Thank you, Paul!

I did not think about it!

Lorenzo

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
TOPIC STARTER
I can unzip the original XLSX file... Oct 16, 2014

Hi Paul,

I now tried to open the original file as zip and I can actually see it is an XLSX file (sent you screenshots).

Also if I try to open it as XLS in Excel, I get a warning message saying "the file is in a different format than specified by the file extension".

Eventually if I rename the file to XLS, the output file will be a true XLS file (cannot unzip) while I can unzip the original file from the client.

Lorenzo

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sounds as though... Oct 16, 2014

... the file is being changed when you handle it perhaps? If I open the file you sent me in Excel I also get this message first:

Later edit;
Sorry Lorenzo, this was my fault for opening the XLS instead of the XLSX! If I save the file as an XLSX with a new name then Studio opens this without a problem. But t
... See more
... the file is being changed when you handle it perhaps? If I open the file you sent me in Excel I also get this message first:

Later edit;
Sorry Lorenzo, this was my fault for opening the XLS instead of the XLSX! If I save the file as an XLSX with a new name then Studio opens this without a problem. But the original poses a problem unless I change it to XLS. Do you know where this file originated from?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-10-16 16:30 GMT]
Collapse

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
TOPIC STARTER
origin of the file unknown Oct 16, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thank you for trying it out again.

Unfortunately I don't know how the file was originated... :-/

Lorenzo

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
TOPIC STARTER
Any news? Oct 24, 2014

Hi Paul,

just wondering if you have any new regarding these files?
Is Studio going to support them eventually?

Thank you,

Lorenzo

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
None yet... Oct 24, 2014

... but I will update this post when I have a response that helps us understand what might be the issue here. It would be good to know who you create these files though because it will be very hard to justify supporting something that only you can provide and we only have one test file for!

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
An update Oct 27, 2014

Hi Lorenzo,

Our development team have investigated this file and it is definitely not a "regular excel file". There are multiple files missing which form the valid structure and even when we attempted to apply a fix to work around this it failed due the fact that the application which created the file was not Excel and the file holding information about the application is empty.

Because the file is fine if it is opened and then saved again in Excel I doubt we will do a
... See more
Hi Lorenzo,

Our development team have investigated this file and it is definitely not a "regular excel file". There are multiple files missing which form the valid structure and even when we attempted to apply a fix to work around this it failed due the fact that the application which created the file was not Excel and the file holding information about the application is empty.

Because the file is fine if it is opened and then saved again in Excel I doubt we will do anything to try and support this, especially because we still have no idea what the business case is for it, or where it comes from? So far your test file is the only file we have ever seen like this so it's quite hard to justify to development time to support it at the moment.

Perhaps, when we make other changes in the future we can keep this file in mind and if appropriate make a change. But for now, you need to resave in Excel, or go back to whoever is creating them and ask them to add the missing parts.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 27, 2014

Hi Paul,

thank you for the update.

I am sorry I wasn't able to provide more details on this file.

Hopeful this file is only an "accident". I will proceed as suggested should I encounter the issue again.

Lorenzo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open regular Excel file in SDL Studio

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »