Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Service Pack 2 for SDL Trados Studio 2014 and SDL MultiTerm 2014 - Java is gone!
Thread poster: SDL_Robert
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No visible change Nov 27, 2014

I've downloaded it and tried playing around with it for 5 min. I can't see any difference, which I suppose is a good thing - at least it's working The termbase interface looks the same and is behaving itself (i.e. no Java issues) but I can't see any changes. Emma, what is the word count problem Shai refers to on your blog?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:59
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Invisible changes Nov 27, 2014

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

I've downloaded it and tried playing around with it for 5 min. I can't see any difference, which I suppose is a good thing - at least it's working The termbase interface looks the same and is behaving itself (i.e. no Java issues) but I can't see any changes.

Good to hear you can't see the changes. That means the lack of Java is working well.
Another change you can't actually see:
Try adding a term to your default termbase using the new Quick Add Term feature. Highlight the terms you want to add in source and target. Then press: Ctrl+Shift+F2. It's that quick now!

Emma, what is the word count problem Shai refers to on your blog?

More details in these blog posts:

http://translationtherapy.com/sdl-studio-2014-sp2-review/

http://www.aboutranslation.com/2014/11/studio-2014-sp2-one-step-forward-and.html
(See also Paul Filkin's comment in the above post)

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thanks Nov 27, 2014

Thanks Emma.

Quick Add Term is definitely a nifty little feature.

As for the word count debate, I don't see any benefit to the change and I can see it being an issue for some, particularly those who work exclusively on the basis of word counts and give discounts on fuzzy matches. There's only one way out of that conundrum

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:59
French to English
+ ...
I hate to spoil the party, but... Nov 27, 2014

Hebrew to English TM

1. The Quick Add Term function doesn't seem to work at all in the new environment. When activating this option via the menu (or using the shortcut) with the two terms selected, initially only the English term is inserted, the Hebrew side shows only the blank space of the corresponding term (to be inserted by copy-paste). This space disappears after 1-2 seconds, leaving only the option to view the EN term. There is no Save option, but thankfully, the Delete optio
... See more
Hebrew to English TM

1. The Quick Add Term function doesn't seem to work at all in the new environment. When activating this option via the menu (or using the shortcut) with the two terms selected, initially only the English term is inserted, the Hebrew side shows only the blank space of the corresponding term (to be inserted by copy-paste). This space disappears after 1-2 seconds, leaving only the option to view the EN term. There is no Save option, but thankfully, the Delete option works.

2. In contrast, the Add Term function partially works, in the sense that only one term is inserted, but at least the Hebrew empty space can be filled in (copy-pasted) and the bilingual term can be saved.

3. I don't really see how the Quick Add Term is "a nifty little feature" (assuming that it works, which it doesn't). How is this quicker than Add New Term?

Thank you,

[Edited at 2014-11-27 15:35 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It works for me... Nov 27, 2014

... perhaps this very quick video will be helpful. Apologies if the Hebrew is awful!

Regards

Paul

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
No problems whatsoever Nov 28, 2014

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

Is it now safe to download it? I've mainly heard complaints here. Can anyone report that it is working successfully? My schedule is too packed at the moment to have to spend time fixing Studio if SP2 is still flaky. I'd be grateful for any feedback. Thanks.

Easiest (and fastest) installation ever of an SDL update.
Everything has worked for me from the word go.

[Edited at 2014-11-28 08:15 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too Nov 28, 2014

It even solved a problem I had with opening files with SP1.

I had decided that the benefits of using a CAT on those particular texts were marginal and decided to give up Trados for the last couple of thousand words. A colleague had had at least as much trouble with Studio 2011, so we think it was the particular client's setup that somehow turned difficult.

It was the 'object reference not set to an incidence of an object' error, which is not by any means specific to Tra
... See more
It even solved a problem I had with opening files with SP1.

I had decided that the benefits of using a CAT on those particular texts were marginal and decided to give up Trados for the last couple of thousand words. A colleague had had at least as much trouble with Studio 2011, so we think it was the particular client's setup that somehow turned difficult.

It was the 'object reference not set to an incidence of an object' error, which is not by any means specific to Trados...

Anyway, after a smooth and problem-free update, I opened Studio to see if everything was there, and could not resist trying my files. And Studio was back in business!

I like the Multiterm updates both ways from Studio. I chuck things in for a single project, and then get too many suggestions if I have not deleted the one-off entries.

Now to play with the other features
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It works for me too Nov 28, 2014

No problems whatsoever. Everything works fine, even for Russian (no idea why Hebrew should be different).

I do not see "noticeable" improvements from the functionality standpoint, though. However, "no problems" is tantamount to "improvements", I presume.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
one thing seems to have got worse... Nov 28, 2014

in the files view, some of the files are shown as not 100% complete, when they are... yes, you can use "Translation Count" to fix it, but this particular aspect seems to have got worse, for some reason...

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now that you say... Nov 28, 2014

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

in the files view, some of the files are shown as not 100% complete, when they are... yes, you can use "Translation Count" to fix it, but this particular aspect seems to have got worse, for some reason...

Yesterday I made a mistake importing the file for translation. The source text was in Russian, but I selected English instead. I finished the job just to painfully realise that the source language that I had selected, was the wrong one. Now watch this:

At the bottom, where the word count bar is, the figure was 102% translated??? The "not translated" number showed -3% or so. I attributed it to my mistake selecting the wrong language. However, I just cannot figure out how you can have 102% translated.

I managed to export the preview version, imported the source text again (with proper language setting this time) and did the copy & paste trick.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I understand how it's annoying... Nov 28, 2014

... when the wordcount in the bottom right doesn't refresh correctly. But why does this cause the amount of concern it does?

• It should not prevent files from being saved.
  • If you send the sdlxliff to someone else and they open it I doubt they will see the same unrefreshed count.
  • If you have a package and create a return package this should also refresh when opened by the recipient.
    ... See more
... when the wordcount in the bottom right doesn't refresh correctly. But why does this cause the amount of concern it does?

• It should not prevent files from being saved.
  • If you send the sdlxliff to someone else and they open it I doubt they will see the same unrefreshed count.
  • If you have a package and create a return package this should also refresh when opened by the recipient.

Perhaps I'm missing something more serious here and I would like to be able to report something back to the development teams if this is the case.

It's a tricky one to reproduce... in fact we have not found a way to reliably reproduce it yet. So all info on this one is gratefully received.

Thank you

Paul
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:59
French to English
+ ...
Thanks a lot, Paul, but... Nov 28, 2014

I really appreciate your help and your effort to solve the issue.
The project settings for the Hebrew and English termbase are fully defined, yet the problem persists.

I assumed, therefore, that my problem was that Hebrew was not defined at all in the general Options template under All Languages, because I did not feel it was necessary to complicate my life if I could just use the project template.

Therefore, I added Hebrew in the Options screen, and fully confi
... See more
I really appreciate your help and your effort to solve the issue.
The project settings for the Hebrew and English termbase are fully defined, yet the problem persists.

I assumed, therefore, that my problem was that Hebrew was not defined at all in the general Options template under All Languages, because I did not feel it was necessary to complicate my life if I could just use the project template.

Therefore, I added Hebrew in the Options screen, and fully configured the appropriate MT settings. Now Hebrew and the HE - EN termbase have been added to the main template and configured for MT.

The issue still persists, even after reboot.

This is not a critical issue, but it would be nice to have this feature working!

Thanks!
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Talking of non-critiical issues... Nov 28, 2014

... is it only me, or do others also have this bug where you can only select one autosuggest dictionary at a time (ie you can't shift+arrow select them all at once)?

Cheers,

Olly

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Everything's a bug!! Nov 28, 2014

Hi Olly,

I think a bug is something that doesn't work as intended. Anything else is an enhancement request. If this capability was not provided, or written somewhere by SDL confirming this is how it is supposed to work, then it's not a bug

How many autosuggest dictionaries do you have?

Cheers

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps... Nov 28, 2014

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

The issue still persists, even after reboot.

This is not a critical issue, but it would be nice to have this feature working!

... we can take a look next week? Please drop me an email at your leisure and we can arrange a quick screen share to see what's going on.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Service Pack 2 for SDL Trados Studio 2014 and SDL MultiTerm 2014 - Java is gone!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »