Thread poster: emmanuelle groom
emmanuelle groom
emmanuelle groom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:52
Member (2012)
English to French
Feb 25, 2015

A client has sent me a glossary in two files: an .xdt and an .xml file.
I have tried to follow previous tips given on the Proz forums but am having the following problem:

1. I created a new termbase (Termbase > Create) using the xdt that the agency sent me, and indicated the path to the xdt, following the wizard.

2. I switched to Catalog, clicked on import and right clicked on default import definition. So far so good.

3. I clicked on load to load th
... See more
A client has sent me a glossary in two files: an .xdt and an .xml file.
I have tried to follow previous tips given on the Proz forums but am having the following problem:

1. I created a new termbase (Termbase > Create) using the xdt that the agency sent me, and indicated the path to the xdt, following the wizard.

2. I switched to Catalog, clicked on import and right clicked on default import definition. So far so good.

3. I clicked on load to load the xml file but at this point, then 'browse' but the system only allows me to import an .xdi file.

So I'm stuck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Emmanuelle
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 20:52
French to German
+ ...
Instead of "Load" click on "Process" Feb 25, 2015

In step 3, you need to click on "Process" instead of "Load".

"Load" is used to load an "import definition file" with file extension .xdi.

"Process" actually imports the "XML" file with the content of the termbase.

The same applies when you want to export: use "Process" and not "Save" because "Save" saves the "export definition" and not the content.

I know, this is not very intuitive, you are not the first one to fall into this pit.
... See more
In step 3, you need to click on "Process" instead of "Load".

"Load" is used to load an "import definition file" with file extension .xdi.

"Process" actually imports the "XML" file with the content of the termbase.

The same applies when you want to export: use "Process" and not "Save" because "Save" saves the "export definition" and not the content.

I know, this is not very intuitive, you are not the first one to fall into this pit.

Walter
Collapse

emmanuelle groom
emmanuelle groom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:52
Member (2012)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted thanks! Feb 26, 2015

Thanks Walter, this is very useful indeed; I managed to open the TB and view the terms

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dealing with xdt and xml files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »