Cecília Alves  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:22
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 21, 2015

Hello there,

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I could only find threads related to earlier versions of Word and Windows.

I still receive lots of projects to be translated/edited on Trados 2007 and everytime I open my version of Word 2010 (32-bits), a Microsoft Visual Basic window appears showing the 'Run-time error 5995' message. When comparing the Options settings of Word 2010 and the TRADOS8.dotm location in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\
... See more
Hello there,

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I could only find threads related to earlier versions of Word and Windows.

I still receive lots of projects to be translated/edited on Trados 2007 and everytime I open my version of Word 2010 (32-bits), a Microsoft Visual Basic window appears showing the 'Run-time error 5995' message. When comparing the Options settings of Word 2010 and the TRADOS8.dotm location in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\STARTUP between my old Windows 7 (64-bits) and new Windows 8 (64-bits) computers, they are exactly the same, but in the Win 7 computer, this message does not bother me (in fact, I guess it did after I installed Trados 2007 in 2012, but I can't remember how I was able to solve the problem).

I wonder if this problem has to do with some incompatibility between Trados 2007 and Windows 8.1, or even worse between Trados 2007, Word 2010 and Windows 8.1. It seems to me that the great evil here is Win 8.1, but unfortunately I cannot to downgrade to Windows 7 on this new computer, since no Win 7 drive its available to it (and I only found it out many months later after buying it!). Despite of this all, the computer works great with other software, including Studio 2014. And I am able to translate/edit and save the work using Workbench in Word 2010 after dismissing that message (by clicking on 'End' twice) and choosing 'Don't Save' in the message 'Do you want to save the changes to TRADOS8.dotm?' when closing Word, though with some difficulties when opening and closing segments in the document (sometimes a -{ }- is placed at the beggining of the segment).

I would very much appreciate if someone can help me solving this problem since this is the only thing to be fixed in my pretty new notebook (which was not cheap at all) and I really want to start using it seamlessly... at least until no other annoying problem occurs and when Microsoft fully launchs a more functional Windows 10 version!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,
Cecília.

[Edited at 2015-03-21 18:33 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Some personal observations Mar 24, 2015

I don't know about your specific error messages, but Trados 7 works on Word 2003 or lower. I have Microsoft 2007, which gives me the posibility to save my files as 2003. I am not familiar with Microsoft 2010.

Trados 7 on Windows 8.1 is another thing. It works, but doesn't clean (at least not on my machine). For this you have to use the macro tw4WinClean.Main. This problem already started with Windows 7 and became worse with Windows 8.1.

In short, Trados 7 is a XP/Micros
... See more
I don't know about your specific error messages, but Trados 7 works on Word 2003 or lower. I have Microsoft 2007, which gives me the posibility to save my files as 2003. I am not familiar with Microsoft 2010.

Trados 7 on Windows 8.1 is another thing. It works, but doesn't clean (at least not on my machine). For this you have to use the macro tw4WinClean.Main. This problem already started with Windows 7 and became worse with Windows 8.1.

In short, Trados 7 is a XP/Microsoft 2003 tool. SDL stopped supporting Trados 7, and I fear that this good old translation tool will become obsolete as more (newer) Window versions will see the light.
Collapse

Cecília Alves
Cecília Alves  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:22
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved so far Apr 1, 2015

Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot for your observations.

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I uninstalled MS Office 2010 and Trados 7, installed MS Office 2007 and reinstalled Trados 7, and now I don't get such messages anymore. The file TRADOS8.dotm is automatically located in a different directory in this computer than the one in the Win 7 computer. I didn't know about that, so I copied this file manually to the STARTUP folder in the Win 8.1 computer, and I guess this may have contributed somewhat to this error. Despite of that, I really don't think the problem has to do with Word 2010. I may give it another try.

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I've not tried the Clean function yet. In the Win 7 computer it works perfectly. I should try it in this new one to see if it does too.

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

In short, Trados 7 is a XP/Microsoft 2003 tool. SDL stopped supporting Trados 7, and I fear that this good old translation tool will become obsolete as more (newer) Window versions will see the light.

I know about the end of SDL support to Trados 7. It's comprehensible. Soon Studio 2014 will be replaced by some Studio 2015, 2016, and compatibility with older versions 2009 and 2011 shall not be possible anymore. Though this good old translation tool, as you call Trados 7, is indeed much simpler and smoother than Studio 2014, I'd much rather work with this later tool due to the obvious reason of it being more complete, faster and functional, especially after the latest SP2 fixes. I can't understand why many clients still like to work with that old tool. Nevertheless, I'm much eager for the day of the official launch of Windows 10 to come and be able to see if it can solve and bury all of the nasty problems (related to translation software or not) brought by Windows 8.1.

Best regards,
Cecília.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007: run-time error 5995 in Word 2010/Win 8.1 64-bits

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »