Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:02
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 26, 2015

I have had previous issues saving my sdlxliff to a target file but they have been resolved.

Now, however, I got an error message from word when I tried to open the target file.
Has anyone ever seen this error before?

http://www.turn-a-phrase.com/images/word-cannot-open-error.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0zy3k866nc338e/word-cannot-open-error.png?dl=0

UPDATE:
Apparently this is a word error that has to do with document.xml

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/word-document-cannot-be-opened-because-there-are/1a9bd4be-5e5f-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

I was able to open the document fine on my mac, so the problem is specific for my Word 2007 installation on my PC.
Not sure what I will do yet, the suggestions so far have not helped, but I thought I'd post this update.

Thanks for reading.

[Edited at 2015-03-26 14:09 GMT]

Andrey Korobeinikov
Andrey Korobeinikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:02
English to Russian
+ ...
OCR Mar 27, 2015

Hi

A lot of problems with saving target file after translation in SDL are related to the OCR, i.e. if you load the Word file (after OCR) to Studio without doing some preparations you might get problems when saving it as a target. The errors that you get in such case vary so it is quite problematic to find the reason.

This is just my guess and the reason might be different.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:02
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mac solved it Mar 27, 2015

Andrey Korobeinikov wrote:

Hi

A lot of problems with saving target file after translation in SDL are related to the OCR, i.e. if you load the Word file (after OCR) to Studio without doing some preparations you might get problems when saving it as a target. The errors that you get in such case vary so it is quite problematic to find the reason.

This is just my guess and the reason might be different.

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for your thoughts. It is not related to OCR in this case, but it may have to do with the conversion from pdf to word. I had a lot of issues in the beginning with this file.

What I learned from this error is that a word.docx is really a zip file, so you can change the docx extension to zip and then extract it. I had to do a fix in the document.xml in one of the resulting folders. However, that didn't work.

Word on my mac however had no problem opening the original file that windows (word 2007) could not open. I resaved it on my mac and I could open it on my windows PC after that as well. When I resaved it, Mac did force me to approve (or not) that it was going to be saved as a xml format (docx), something that I had never seen before. It warned for possible formatting issues. I approved it, and that solved the problem.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:02
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
CodeZapper Mar 27, 2015

Try cleaning the source document with CodeZapper and reimporting it to the project.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word error opening target file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »