Please help! My projects list stays empty
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:54
Mar 27, 2015

I've migrated my Windows 8.1 virtual machine with Studio 2014 from Parallels Desktop to VMware Fusion. Now a lot of (nearly all) my problems with icon and label sizes are solved. However, when I restart Studio, the list with projects is empty (although there are projects present in the path where I've created my last project). I noticed that there is no projects.xml present in the project folder.

Do I really have to uninstall and reinstall Studio in order to solve this issue?
... See more
I've migrated my Windows 8.1 virtual machine with Studio 2014 from Parallels Desktop to VMware Fusion. Now a lot of (nearly all) my problems with icon and label sizes are solved. However, when I restart Studio, the list with projects is empty (although there are projects present in the path where I've created my last project). I noticed that there is no projects.xml present in the project folder.

Do I really have to uninstall and reinstall Studio in order to solve this issue?

Support, can you please help?
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Browse to the projects in question Mar 27, 2015

If this is a new installation of Studio, I would not expect the old projects to be listed in Studio. It should be easily solved by browse to the projects you are interested from within Studio and open them. After that they should be listed until you ask Studio not to list them any longer. The projects don't have to be listed in Studio after you are finished with them.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
New projects aren't listed either Mar 28, 2015

When I start Studio and create some new projects, these are listed. When I close Studio and start it again, the list is empty.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Delete or rename the project xml file Mar 28, 2015

Maybe the xml file as become corrupt.
You could try closing Studio and renaming the project xml file:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects

That way Studio will re-create the xml file when you re-start it.
Then add a project to the project view and see if it stays there.

Edited to add: just re-read your first post and see that you haven't got an xml file at all. Presumably you've set Windows to display hidden files?
If that's not the p
... See more
Maybe the xml file as become corrupt.
You could try closing Studio and renaming the project xml file:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects

That way Studio will re-create the xml file when you re-start it.
Then add a project to the project view and see if it stays there.

Edited to add: just re-read your first post and see that you haven't got an xml file at all. Presumably you've set Windows to display hidden files?
If that's not the problem, I'd try to repair Studio in the Control Panel, and if that doesn't work, do a reinstall.

[Edited at 2015-03-28 08:15 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
project.xml file doesn't exist at all Mar 28, 2015

The problem is, that the project.xml file doesn't exist. My SDL projects were stored outside my Parallels VM (in a Dropbox folder). The VM is migrated to Fusion, but the path to the Dropbox folder isn't valid for Fusion (it's a typical Parallels network path, something like \\psf\...). So Studio in Fusion couldn't find the folder with the project.xml file that Studio created in Parallels. I tried to place the Parallels project.xml file in the new folder assigned to SDL projects for the Fusion VM... See more
The problem is, that the project.xml file doesn't exist. My SDL projects were stored outside my Parallels VM (in a Dropbox folder). The VM is migrated to Fusion, but the path to the Dropbox folder isn't valid for Fusion (it's a typical Parallels network path, something like \\psf\...). So Studio in Fusion couldn't find the folder with the project.xml file that Studio created in Parallels. I tried to place the Parallels project.xml file in the new folder assigned to SDL projects for the Fusion VM, but this doesn't work (I guess the paths inside the project.xml file aren't valid for Fusion).

But it's definitely not being created automatically. Perhaps someone can send me an empty project.xml file, from a fresh installation?
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Question to Support Mar 28, 2015

Dear members of the SDL Support Team,

Where does Studio save the information about where projects.xml is located?

I'd like to edit this file and adjust it to my new configuration.

Many thanks!

Hans

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Here... Mar 29, 2015

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/233185-studio_11_how_to_change_location_for_projectsxml.html#2412953

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support<
... See more

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/233185-studio_11_how_to_change_location_for_projectsxml.html#2412953

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

JoelD
JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
Japanese to English
Same Problem after Win 10 Update Aug 22, 2015

I've been having the same issue with the blank Project List since updating to Win 10 the other day.
I tried finding and deleting the three .xml files from the Roaming

Peter Culley

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help! My projects list stays empty

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »