Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2015

I have been told to leave a load of stuff, tables etc. untouched in a translation. Is there a way of blocking the segments concerned for them to be left as-is?

Last time I did a similar job I translated all these segments (which, of course, is why the customer doesn't want them translated this time), and as soon as I move on to one of these segments Studio prompts me with the translation. Of course, I can go through it all at the end and change to Copy Original, but I just wondered
... See more
I have been told to leave a load of stuff, tables etc. untouched in a translation. Is there a way of blocking the segments concerned for them to be left as-is?

Last time I did a similar job I translated all these segments (which, of course, is why the customer doesn't want them translated this time), and as soon as I move on to one of these segments Studio prompts me with the translation. Of course, I can go through it all at the end and change to Copy Original, but I just wondered if there was a quicker way.

Mervyn
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Hide text in source or lock in Studio Apr 13, 2015

If the "load of stuff" is in a Word file, then I'd mark it as hidden text in Word itself and then Studio won't process it.

If it's in a different file format, you could open it in Studio without pretranslating it, copy source to target and then lock the segments that you don't want to translate.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding text Apr 14, 2015

Doh. Thanks Emma, hiding the text sounds pretty logical to me.

Best,

Mervyn

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 22:00
English to Russian
Tool for hiding text in Word Apr 14, 2015

Hello, Mervyn,

To add to Emma's advice, there is a special tool for Word that makes it easy to hide specific text from Studio or other CAT tools. It's called Hide / Unhide Text. This tool can hide text formatted with a certain highlight color or font color, or all text except that formatted with a certain color. Hiding text is as easy as marking it with the Highlight Color tool, say Red highlight color, the
... See more
Hello, Mervyn,

To add to Emma's advice, there is a special tool for Word that makes it easy to hide specific text from Studio or other CAT tools. It's called Hide / Unhide Text. This tool can hide text formatted with a certain highlight color or font color, or all text except that formatted with a certain color. Hiding text is as easy as marking it with the Highlight Color tool, say Red highlight color, then running Hide / Unhide Text tool and choosing to hide the text highlighted in red. Then import, translate, export and use the same tool to unhide previously hidden text. This will save you a lot of time if the text that does not require translation is scattered across the document.

Hide / Unhide Text tool is a free tool included in TransTools for Word add-in.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
Translator Tools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Apr 16, 2015

... for that too, Stanislav. By the time I'd seen it I'd already done all the hiding.

Best regards,

Mervyn

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the useful tip Apr 17, 2015

Thanks, Stanislav, just what I've been looking for.

It looked too good to be true, but I just tested it on a 7-page Word file with about 1 page of text to be translated highlighted in yellow. I ran it through Studio 2014 after hiding 'irrelevant' text, then unhid the hidden text in the final document.

Worked a treat! A real timesaver.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blocking text to be left as-is in Studio 2011

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »