Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Does the Trados 2014 support table view, while translation.
Thread poster: Dr. Rajesh Kumar
Dr. Rajesh Kumar
Dr. Rajesh Kumar
India
Local time: 17:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 20, 2015

I would like to know if the Trados 2014 supports the table view, as in Wordfast while translating. What I want to know if the original and translated segments can be arranged one after the other, instead of having them side-by-side. Thank you.

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
Local time: 13:48
English to Dutch
not in 2014 Apr 20, 2015

Dr. Rajesh Kumar,
Unfortunately in Trados Studio 2014 there's only the side-by-side view.
Hopefully in the new release there will be above-below feature, at least for the current segment (like in memoQ).

SDL, do you have an update on this?
Thanks

Dr. Rajesh Kumar
Dr. Rajesh Kumar
India
Local time: 17:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help. Apr 20, 2015

Thank you for your help.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Finnish to French
Horizontal vs. vertical layout Apr 20, 2015

Dr. Rajesh Kumar wrote:
I would like to know if the Trados 2014 supports the table view, as in Wordfast while translating.

Actually, what Wordfast (Pro) calls "table view" is the same vertical layout (source on left-hand side, target on right-hand side) used by Studio. What you want (top-bottom, ie. horizontal, arrangement, as in Wordfast Classic, or Trados Workbench) is called "text view" by Wordfast Pro.
Dr. Rajesh Kumar wrote:
What I want to know if the original and translated segments can be arranged one after the other, instead of having them side-by-side. Thank you.

Given that such a option hasn't been deemed worth offering in three successive iterations of Studio (2009, 2011, 2014), I would be most surprised if it were in the fourth one (2015).

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
awaiting the above-below option Apr 20, 2015

@Roy
MemoQ has the above-below option for the active segment.
The rest of the text is in 2 vertical columns, which gives a good overview.

The above-below option for the active segment is much better for the eyes.
It's better to switch 1 cm up-down than moving 10 cm between source and target segment in 2 columns.

It's also better for proofreading other translators' work (to check if everything is included),
to check if everything is include
... See more
@Roy
MemoQ has the above-below option for the active segment.
The rest of the text is in 2 vertical columns, which gives a good overview.

The above-below option for the active segment is much better for the eyes.
It's better to switch 1 cm up-down than moving 10 cm between source and target segment in 2 columns.

It's also better for proofreading other translators' work (to check if everything is included),
to check if everything is included in a long segment,
and to view if the target text is not longer than the source segment (for banners, headlines, etc.)

[Edited at 2015-04-20 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Horizontal vs. vertical layout Apr 20, 2015

Tag Editor has a horisontal layout, though it seems most CAT tools go for the vertical layout. I personally have tried both, and to me the benefit of the vertical layout is that you in general have a better view of the context of the segment. A vertical layout, like in Tag Editor, makes the context more difficult for me at least.

So I personally prefer the vertical layout. I suspect that if the horisontal layout was missed among the users, quite a few would request it. That doesn't
... See more
Tag Editor has a horisontal layout, though it seems most CAT tools go for the vertical layout. I personally have tried both, and to me the benefit of the vertical layout is that you in general have a better view of the context of the segment. A vertical layout, like in Tag Editor, makes the context more difficult for me at least.

So I personally prefer the vertical layout. I suspect that if the horisontal layout was missed among the users, quite a few would request it. That doesn't seem to be the case, though.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:48
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
An old story Apr 20, 2015

This has been one of the oldest and most common feature requests to SDL, with no response. See, for example: http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/83896-layout_of_translation_window_horizontal_vs_vertical.html

If you have a SDL login, see the post a
... See more
This has been one of the oldest and most common feature requests to SDL, with no response. See, for example: http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/83896-layout_of_translation_window_horizontal_vs_vertical.html

If you have a SDL login, see the post at http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2048&q=horizontal%20layout dated March 22, 2009

[Edited at 2015-04-20 13:39 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
I stand corrected ... Apr 20, 2015

I hadn't seen much mentioning of the vertical layout, and I notice that it goes back almost 10 years, so perhaps most people have given up on it.

Someone there mentioned the vertical layout in Dejavu. I decided to try it out, and I must agree, it is a more natural way to work, as I only have to move my eyes up and down a short distance rather than a long distance from left to right and vice versa.

So at least having that as an option would definitely be nice. I would ev
... See more
I hadn't seen much mentioning of the vertical layout, and I notice that it goes back almost 10 years, so perhaps most people have given up on it.

Someone there mentioned the vertical layout in Dejavu. I decided to try it out, and I must agree, it is a more natural way to work, as I only have to move my eyes up and down a short distance rather than a long distance from left to right and vice versa.

So at least having that as an option would definitely be nice. I would even suspect that it also would make it easier to discover mistakes in the translation if there for instance are fuzzy matches.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
See this post... Apr 20, 2015

.... to avoid repeating myself:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/284788-multiterm_extraxt_or_termbase-page2.html#2420189

Regards

Paul
... See more
.... to avoid repeating myself:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/284788-multiterm_extraxt_or_termbase-page2.html#2420189

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
still time to edit the above-below option Apr 20, 2015

Hi Paul,

Well, if it will take a little while before Trados 2015 is released, the developers still have some time to quickly add it into the new release.

I would appreciate it.
And I know also many other translators.

When you offer both editing options, you serve all translators.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Good to finish the day on a high note!! Apr 20, 2015

Meyers wrote:

Well, if it will take a little while before Trados 2015 is released, the developers still have some time to quickly add it into the new release.

You certainly made me chuckle!!

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
just wait before purchase or not.... Apr 27, 2015

So all translators who prefer source-above target-below have to wait until the release of 2015 then, and see if the option it's included or not.
If not, one of the other CAT tools will do.

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
Appearance and 1 or 2 desired features. Apr 29, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:
So I personally prefer the vertical layout. I suspect that if the horisontal layout was missed among the users, quite a few would request it. That doesn't seem to be the case, though.

The requests for new features/changes come from translators who already use Studio.

Translators who are new to Studio and prefer the horizontal (above-below) editing option,
when they read in a forum/blog or see in the Trial version that there's only one option (vertical), just don't buy Studio and choose another CAT tool.

When I downloaded the Trial and saw that there's only the vertical columns, I immediately wanted to uninstall the Trial.
Only when I heard that there will be Studio 2015 soon, I continued to use the Trial.
I like the AutoSuggest feature in Studio, but also other CATs have this.
If in 2015 there's no option for above-below, I just choose another CAT (all other main CATs offer both options).

Translators who choose their first paid CAT, make a decision based on Appearance + 1 or 2 desired features (for me it's autocomplete/predictive typing). The rest comes later when you use the CAT daily.
If they don't like the editor pane, they just go somewhere else and SDL doesn't hear their requests.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Finnish to French
Many tools already support horizontal displaying of segments Apr 29, 2015

Meyers wrote:
So all translators who prefer source-above target-below have to wait until the release of 2015 then, and see if the option it's included or not.
If not, one of the other CAT tools will do.

No need for the future form, many other tools already support the source-above / target-below displaying of segments:

CafeTran (current segment only)
Déjà Vu
memoQ (current segment only)
MetaTexis
STAR Transit (for a description of the Transit interface, see this brand-new video)
Wordfast Anywhere
Wordfast Classic
Wordfast Pro

The list is not exhaustive (there are probably tools I've forgotten or I'm not aware of).

[Edited at 2015-04-29 11:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-29 11:44 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
horizontal displaying of segments Apr 29, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
memoQ (current segment only)
MetaTexis
STAR Transit
Wordfast Anywhere
Wordfast Classic
Wordfast Pro

The list is not exhaustive (there are probably tools I've forgotten or I'm not aware of).

You did not include Dejavu, which to me is a strong contender to Studio, and where you can choose either horisontal or vertical view according to your own choice. Instead you are mentioning 3 versions of the same CAT tool. Sounds like you are making a plugin of your facourite tool, which I feel is inappropriate on this list.

That said, I would say that to me other functions of the CAT tool really would be more important for my translation speed. I have not even heard of MetaTexis before, but my impression is that Transit is far inferiour to Studio, so I would not switch to another tool only because it only have a vertical display of segments.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does the Trados 2014 support table view, while translation.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »