Adding a paragraph to a source file in the project
Thread poster: Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
Local time: 07:38
English to Dutch
Apr 28, 2015

Hi,
Is it possible to add a paragraph to the source file you are already working on in Trados Studio?
(e.g. in the source file in the folder Projects > Name Project > en-GB)

Thank you.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
In this case, edit the source file and replace it Apr 28, 2015

No, you can't insert a paragraph in the SDLXLIFF in the Editor, but you can edit the source file and then replace the existing one by the modified version.

You may also try to use "Edit source" to add text into an existing segment and then split it. But I'm not sure this will work fine.

Walter

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
is it possible to replace the existing file without changing the file name Apr 28, 2015

Thank you Walter.

Is it possible without changing the file name?

I added the paragraph in the Word file and wanted to add it, but then got the message that the file already exists. So I had to rename the file...

So I renamed the file, deleted the first file, added the file, prepared the file with Batch tasks, and opened the file.

Is there an easier way, without changing the file name?
Thanks

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:38
German to Turkish
+ ...
I find it easier to translate the extras separately. Apr 28, 2015

For a few times when I needed to add an extra text, I preferred to translate it as a separate project and then combine the two target files.
Just an idea. It save time and possible troubles with the source file.

[Edited at 2015-04-28 13:03 GMT]

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
If your remove the source file .. Apr 28, 2015

.. in the source language (you need to switch to the source language in the left "files" pane), you can again add a file with the same name.
You probably removed the SDLXLIFF in one of the target languages, in which case you get this message because the source file was still there.

Walter

Meyers (X)
Meyers (X)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
also the Word file deleted in Source folder Apr 30, 2015

Hi Walter,
When I deleted the Sdlxliff file in the "File pane" of the source language,
also the Word file in the folder "My documents > Studio 2014 > Projects > Name Project > en-GB" was deleted, to which I added the paragraph.

So I think this only works if you add the paragraph to a Word file outside the Studio folder. And then add the file again to the project?

@Elif,
Thank you, maybe creating a new project is faster, (or adding a short
... See more
Hi Walter,
When I deleted the Sdlxliff file in the "File pane" of the source language,
also the Word file in the folder "My documents > Studio 2014 > Projects > Name Project > en-GB" was deleted, to which I added the paragraph.

So I think this only works if you add the paragraph to a Word file outside the Studio folder. And then add the file again to the project?

@Elif,
Thank you, maybe creating a new project is faster, (or adding a short file to the project)
but I don't want to many projects and files on my PC.
I still would like to figure out a simple way to add a paragraph to a file in an existing project.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding a paragraph to a source file in the project

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »