Thread poster: Natalia Ulla
Natalia Ulla
Natalia Ulla  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:33
English to Spanish
May 5, 2015

Hi,

I keep getting this message when trying to save my target document.
"Failed to save target, Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

( Image here: http://s6.postimg.org/6b98c03fh/error.jpg )

I am relatively new to Trados and I know this is a problem with tags in the source document, but I have just finished the whole translation and i
... See more
Hi,

I keep getting this message when trying to save my target document.
"Failed to save target, Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

( Image here: http://s6.postimg.org/6b98c03fh/error.jpg )

I am relatively new to Trados and I know this is a problem with tags in the source document, but I have just finished the whole translation and it won't let me save it. I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know what I can change in the source document (within the Trados editor) to make this message go away and be able to save the target?

I have already read this post here: http://translationtherapy.com/how-to-solve-an-error-when-trying-to-save-target-document-in-sdl-studio/

But it did not help, as it's too late anyway to do that. The translation is finished and I can't access it!

I am in a rush, I am meant to deliver it in a couple of hours!

Thanks
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have you tried running Verify? May 5, 2015

You don't say what version you are using. Is it SDL Trados Studio 2014, or some other version of Trados? As you are new, I take it you are using Studio 2014.

If it is, have you run Verify to check that the tags in target agree with the tags in target? If not, that's the first thing I would do. Fiddling with the source document is probably not the way of going, I'm afraid:

- Open the document in the Editor window
- Open the Review tab
- Run Verify (the rightm
... See more
You don't say what version you are using. Is it SDL Trados Studio 2014, or some other version of Trados? As you are new, I take it you are using Studio 2014.

If it is, have you run Verify to check that the tags in target agree with the tags in target? If not, that's the first thing I would do. Fiddling with the source document is probably not the way of going, I'm afraid:

- Open the Review tab
- Run Verify (the rightmost button in the menu band.
- Go through the messages and try to fix the errors you get.

Hopefully that will fix it for you.

Another possibility would be to create a new translation memory (TM), attach it to the document, update this TM from your project.

Then try to reimport the source in a different format if possible, and run a pretranslate. Most segments should be 100% hits, so hopefully it will not be too much work finishing the translation.

But my main suspect is a discrepancy in the tags between source and target, so I would do that first.
Collapse

Natalia Ulla
Natalia Ulla  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I fixed it May 5, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

- Open the Review tab
- Run Verify (the rightmost button in the menu band.
- Go through the messages and try to fix the errors you get.

Hopefully that will fix it for you.

Another possibility would be to create a new translation memory (TM), attach it to the document, update this TM from your project.

Then try to reimport the source in a different format if possible, and run a pretranslate. Most segments should be 100% hits, so hopefully it will not be too much work finishing the translation.

But my main suspect is a discrepancy in the tags between source and target, so I would do that first.

Thanks Roy,

I fixed it this way:

I had tried to fix the tag problems but that did not do it.

The source file had lots of images and tables and this was creating the problem, but I did not want to fiddle with this mess on the Trados editor (Yes, it's SDL Trados Studio 2014)

So (basically, I did what you suggested just before you suggested it!)

I went to the original file, removed all formatting, removed all tables and images. Saved it as a new word document.

Then, in Trados, I created a new project and, as you said, it translated itself from the TM I had made from my original translation. Buff, was that a relief! I thought I would have to do it all again. I always seem to forget that I am constantly updating the TM, so once it's done, it's done! Yay, thanks Trados!

Learning step by step, and by going through these challenges I am learning super fast, I tell you!

Thanks a lot for your reply

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when saving target: "Object reference not set to an instance"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »