How to import an updated source file into a Trados Studio package?
Thread poster: Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:08
Member (2008)
German to English
May 5, 2015

If a customer sends me either a new package or an updated Word file half way through a job - how do I import the translation I have already done? I would really appreciate a step by step guide of what I should be doing as this does not seem to be at all intuitive and research has got me nowhere!

Andrey Korobeinikov
Andrey Korobeinikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:08
English to Russian
+ ...
Use pre-translate May 5, 2015

That should not be a problem if you set up your project properly and use a translation memory. Just load the file to your project and pretranslate it. You will see already translated segments and what needs to be translated.

Tansy Tazewell
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried adding the new file May 5, 2015

I tried simply adding the updated source file to the project package with "Add files" - but although I could see the Word file it wouldn't open at all. Double clicking on it did nothing whatsoever.

Nina Krivtsova
Nina Krivtsova
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:08
English to Russian
+ ...
Did you copy the file to target language? May 6, 2015

When you add a new file via Add File, it stays in the source language area and isn't copied to target language automatically. So you need to choose your source language on the right (in Files view), right-click the new file and choose "Copy to target languages". Next, choose your target language on the right, right-click the new file and pre-translate it.

Does this help? Please let me know if you need screenshots for clarification, I'll open Studio and make some.

Tansy Tazewell
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 7, 2015

Hi Nina,

Thank you very much - that solved the problem as the language was indeed still set to the source language, which is why the file wouldn't open.

Thanks very much for your help!

Nina Krivtsova
Nina Krivtsova
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:08
English to Russian
+ ...
Glad it helped! May 8, 2015

Hello Tansy,

I'm glad it worked.

To anybody who will be reading this later: of course the source/target language selection menu is normally located on the left not on the right (that is, unless you change the default view). Sorry for the confusion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import an updated source file into a Trados Studio package?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »