Thread poster: Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:02
English to French
+ ...
Jul 3, 2015

hello, is there a way to create a shortcut to either insert French quotes « » around a word or to convert existing straight quotes?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you have... Jul 3, 2015

... Studio 2015 then this is available as a built in autocorrect.

If you have any other version, or any other software at all, then you can use the process described here using autohotkey : http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/05/31/autocorrect-for-everything/

But if you just want to add these around existing test then add a quick insert to th
... See more
... Studio 2015 then this is available as a built in autocorrect.

If you have any other version, or any other software at all, then you can use the process described here using autohotkey : http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/05/31/autocorrect-for-everything/

But if you just want to add these around existing test then add a quick insert to the appropriate filetype and you can use the toolbar or a shortcut to call it up whenever you like. This is also described here : http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/10/10/those-dumb-smart-quotes/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Jean-Christophe Duc
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 3, 2015

however the articles do not quite explain how to add this to QuickInsert ?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The one I'm looking at provides... Jul 3, 2015

... a step by step guide in the article. Did you look at them both?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Jean-Christophe Duc
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jul 3, 2015

one is rather complicated (for inserting humble quotes) and I connot get the other to work in my version of Studio.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
There is a shortcut for French quotes Jul 3, 2015

... at least for Word.

It is CTRL-SHIFT-5 on my system. You can find out by placing your cursor on the respective Quickinsert icon in the ribbon.
To use it, simply select the text to be surrounded and hit CTRL-SHIFT-F6, that's all. I use it daily (in 2014, in 2015 it is even automatic).

Walter

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:02
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try Jul 3, 2015

International layout

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:02
Finnish to French
AZERTY Jul 4, 2015

esperantisto wrote:
International layout

The international layout is primarily aimed at people with a standard US keyboard layout. Most people translating into French use AZERTY keyboards. Putting the international layout on top of a physical AZERTY keyboard is not going to be very useful. Better modify the French layout with the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.

Jean-Christophe Duc
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time shift Jul 6, 2015

Walter Blaser wrote:

... at least for Word.

It is CTRL-SHIFT-5 on my system. You can find out by placing your cursor on the respective Quickinsert icon in the ribbon.
To use it, simply select the text to be surrounded and hit CTRL-SHIFT-F6, that's all. I use it daily (in 2014, in 2015 it is even automatic).

Walter

Thanks
Word also has smart quotes, so you can simply type " and press the space bar.
I have managed to create the shortcut you mentioned in Studio Quickinsert. However, it appears to work only on a certain type of file, for the current project. When you start a new project, then you need to go back to Quickinsert, which is time consuming for a simple task.
I'll try Paul's other solution later when I have a bit more time, but it looks complicated...

JC

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortcut for French quotes in Studio 20xx

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »