Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 2, 2015

Hello collegues,
I've just switched from Studio 2009 to Studio 2014.
I've installed it and everything looked fine.

But one of my clients, sending me sdlxliff files (they have studio 2014) get an error when they receive translated files from me and they cannot open the file.

This error is "Name cannot beging with ' ' character, hexadecimal...."

This is strange as later, I re-save the file and magically it is fine.

I usually do the fo
... See more
Hello collegues,
I've just switched from Studio 2009 to Studio 2014.
I've installed it and everything looked fine.

But one of my clients, sending me sdlxliff files (they have studio 2014) get an error when they receive translated files from me and they cannot open the file.

This error is "Name cannot beging with ' ' character, hexadecimal...."

This is strange as later, I re-save the file and magically it is fine.

I usually do the following:

- File > Translate Single Document
- Save (with the Disk icon or "save as")

This automatically creates an SDLXLIFF file - an SDLPROJ file and a Folder (in italian it is Cartella di file) containing several folders (such as file types, etc), but this third folder doesn't create always.

This is very annoying as I never know if the file is ok or not. This didn't jhappen with Studio 2009.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks
Lucia
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:19
English to Russian
Just a guess Sep 2, 2015

The process of adding a single file for translation is similar (but not same) to creating a new project.
When you open a file for translation, Studio adds SDLXLIFF and SDLPROJ files just next to your source file (in the same folder).
When you create a project or open a package with the project previously created by your client, Studio creates 4 items: source folder, Reports folder, target folder, and sdlproj file.
Plus, manipulating with TM, or packages, or external review, or
... See more
The process of adding a single file for translation is similar (but not same) to creating a new project.
When you open a file for translation, Studio adds SDLXLIFF and SDLPROJ files just next to your source file (in the same folder).
When you create a project or open a package with the project previously created by your client, Studio creates 4 items: source folder, Reports folder, target folder, and sdlproj file.
Plus, manipulating with TM, or packages, or external review, or some other features also creates folders.
Maybe this is why you see different behavior?

Try to create a project instead of simply opening a file in Studio.

If you find creating projects for each assignment too time-consuming, you can add each next file to the same/existing project.

[Edited at 2015-09-02 18:25 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - the sdlxliff file doesn't open

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »