Thread poster: Sam Haugh
Sam Haugh
Sam Haugh  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:42
Japanese to English
Oct 5, 2015

Hello,

I was recently asked by a company to translate 15,000 characters to which I said, "Yes, Please". Upon receiving the file, I was shocked to see that the total number of characters was around 36,000. The company reassured me that this includes 100% matches and likely repetitions (No idea how they figured that out) and that the total amount would be around 15,000.

Well, after handing in the project and once again discussing word count with them, I opened the confir
... See more
Hello,

I was recently asked by a company to translate 15,000 characters to which I said, "Yes, Please". Upon receiving the file, I was shocked to see that the total number of characters was around 36,000. The company reassured me that this includes 100% matches and likely repetitions (No idea how they figured that out) and that the total amount would be around 15,000.

Well, after handing in the project and once again discussing word count with them, I opened the confirmation statistics for the file to find that the 36,000 was referring to word count (This number was also available before I started translating, weird) and that the character count was at 52,000...

Now, is there any possibility that Trados has counted this incorrectly?

I even put the whole thing in word to check the amount of characters and it seems that it is around 36,000. The problem here is, I cannot give them details on 100% matches and fuzzy matches because the Trados analysis isn't giving me correct numbers.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Sam
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:42
English to Thai
+ ...
Asian characters Oct 5, 2015

Sam Haugh wrote:

Sam

Trados is not reliable to count Asian words: It counts as characters.
This causes certain trouble for quoting in jobs. I always insist and clarify on this matter.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2011 Character Count Issue

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »