Thread poster: Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:00
Member (2008)
German to English
Nov 24, 2015

Apologies, I'm sure that this must be a very basic question but I can't work it out.

I want to import an SDL file-based translation memory from my customer (looks like a round yellow-green symbol) to update my version of the TM.

I open the Translation Memory view in Trados Studio 2014 and click on the TM I want to update. With a right-click on it I select "import". A box then opens with "Select the file you want to import into the translation memory". But when I go to
... See more
Apologies, I'm sure that this must be a very basic question but I can't work it out.

I want to import an SDL file-based translation memory from my customer (looks like a round yellow-green symbol) to update my version of the TM.

I open the Translation Memory view in Trados Studio 2014 and click on the TM I want to update. With a right-click on it I select "import". A box then opens with "Select the file you want to import into the translation memory". But when I go to "Add file" and select the folder where I have saved the TM from my customer it is not visible. I only see tmx files in the folder but not the SDL file-based translation memory I want to import. Neither is there an option to select this file type in the supported import file types. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks very much!
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
What format is the TM from the client? Nov 24, 2015

If the TM from the client is in normal TM format, you would normally only attach it to the project rather than import it into your TM.

Otherwise I think the best would be for you to open it in the Translation Memories tab in Studio, export it as a TMX file, and then import that TMX file into your main memory.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:00
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Upgrade TMs Nov 24, 2015

Studio can't import sdltm files into other sdltm files directly, that's why you're not seeing your TM listed with the Import operation.

What you want to do can be achieved with the Upgrade TMs option, here's some info on how to do that:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2015/11/combining-tms-in-studio-tm-import-and_6.html

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 25, 2015

Thanks very much to you both! Not exactly an intuitive system in Trados Studio in my opinion but it seems to have worked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import an SDL file-based translation memory

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »