Mengü Gülmen
Mengü Gülmen
Türkiye
Local time: 02:26
Turkish to English
+ ...
May 6, 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project that requires translating idml files. There are sentences that are broken into multiple lines, and naturally SDL interprets them as different segments.

Is there any wan to tell SDL not to break segments when it sees new lines? Like, "ignore new lines, just segment when you see a full stop or new text field" etc?

Thanks in advance.

Camelia Manea
Camelia Manea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 01:26
English to Romanian
+ ...
prepare the INDD/IDML in advance May 6, 2016

Hello,
From my experience, I can tell you that the best way to deal with this problem is to prepare the IDML/INDD file for translation in advance. The graphic designers don't usually (unless told) take into consideration that the file is going to be translated and just focus on the layout - so that, very often, sentences are split into several parts and inserted, for example, into separate several textboxes.
I used to prepare INDD files for translation and I had to copy-paste such t
... See more
Hello,
From my experience, I can tell you that the best way to deal with this problem is to prepare the IDML/INDD file for translation in advance. The graphic designers don't usually (unless told) take into consideration that the file is going to be translated and just focus on the layout - so that, very often, sentences are split into several parts and inserted, for example, into separate several textboxes.
I used to prepare INDD files for translation and I had to copy-paste such text into one box, and reformat - in order to maintain the 'looks' - fonts, attributes, etc.
Can be a tedious work (imagine the long documents!).

Besides, if the file is not clean - text left outside working area in InDesign - everything will appear in Studio and you will end up translating text that is not needed.

If you have a PDF of the original document and you can edit the source, try to merge/split segments in Studio, while you translate - but be careful because sometimes the text appearing in Studio does not follow the order of the PDF text!! It might seem that the text make no sense sometimes, that is why preparing the INDD file in advance remains the only safe method.

Hope it helps.
Collapse

Camelia Manea
Camelia Manea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 01:26
English to Romanian
+ ...
prepare the INDD/IDML in advance May 6, 2016

actually, I would like to add something extremely important for the INDD files: if you edit the source in any way in Studio - merging segments, telling Studio to do no matter what, your target language file will certainly look different than the source: sentences that were split in several textboxes will appear - as a whole - in only one and the rest will be empty, and this might be the simplest of all problems with the target.

InDesign is used because the layout and formatting are
... See more
actually, I would like to add something extremely important for the INDD files: if you edit the source in any way in Studio - merging segments, telling Studio to do no matter what, your target language file will certainly look different than the source: sentences that were split in several textboxes will appear - as a whole - in only one and the rest will be empty, and this might be the simplest of all problems with the target.

InDesign is used because the layout and formatting are important and most probably shouldn't be altered in any target language.

In any case, someone will have to deal with DTP aspects for any INDD file - either in advance (better) or afterwards, presuming that the translation will make sense when generating the target.... you might want to ask the project manager about the workflow.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation Issues in idml (and other) file types

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »