Thread poster: MonsieurNico
MonsieurNico
MonsieurNico
France
Local time: 22:43
French to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2016

This is driving me insane and I hope it is an amateur question easily addressed...

When I have a package with multiple files (say, 4 or 5), the trados memory DOES NOT REMEMBER the translated AND confirmed segments between files. It only remembers confirmed segments within the same file. So even though the text is very close / 100% matches across several different files within the same package, I have to re-do them in each file. I feel this cannot be right, but I am not an expert use
... See more
This is driving me insane and I hope it is an amateur question easily addressed...

When I have a package with multiple files (say, 4 or 5), the trados memory DOES NOT REMEMBER the translated AND confirmed segments between files. It only remembers confirmed segments within the same file. So even though the text is very close / 100% matches across several different files within the same package, I have to re-do them in each file. I feel this cannot be right, but I am not an expert user and hope there is an easy fix.

Thanks so much for any help!
Collapse

Catarina Lopes
Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:43
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Merge files Jul 20, 2016

Hi MonsieurNico,

Have you tried using the merge files option?

"Merging files can help you work faster as you can maximize the advantages of features like auto-propagation, spell-checking and verification when working in a single, bigger document."

Please read
... See more
Hi MonsieurNico,

Have you tried using the merge files option?

"Merging files can help you work faster as you can maximize the advantages of features like auto-propagation, spell-checking and verification when working in a single, bigger document."

Please read about the Merge File function here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2015/client_en/projects_view/CreatProjects/P_Project_Files.htm

I hope it helps!

Catarina

[Edited at 2016-07-20 19:16 GMT]
Collapse

MonsieurNico
MonsieurNico
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Files merged; segments still not populating... Jul 20, 2016

Thanks for this info. I just tried that, and even now as a merged file, the segments (100% matches) are not populating at all. Could this be because I didn't merge the files from the start and am only doing so in the middle of the job? Although the Trados help page says you can merge "at any time" - so I suspect there's something else going wrong.

Any additional help would be much appreciated. I'm using Trados Studio 2015. Thanks

MonsieurNico
MonsieurNico
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jul 20, 2016

I just figured out that I needed to click on Batch Tasks > Populate Project Translation Memories. Problem solved!

Catarina Lopes
Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Great! Jul 21, 2016

I really don't know if there is anything else that could have been done, but I'm glad you managed to solve the problem

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:43
English to Spanish
... Jul 21, 2016

MonsieurNico wrote:

Problem solved

I just figured out that I needed to click on Batch Tasks > Populate Project Translation Memories. Problem solved!

Solved? Not really.

The TM (or TMs) should be updated automatically every time you confirm the segment and go to the next. It should not be necessary to have to use Batch Tasks.

Many Trados users have been complaining about this problem for years.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
There is another thing you can check Jul 21, 2016

...if populating memories is not your thing or hasn't worked.

SDL Paul and I found a bug a while back where if the TM has fields and one of them is blank, the TM won't update. In my case, it was a "Project" field with no project reference. So with that particular memory, as long as I add a project reference to the field, the TM will update without running batch tasks.

It IS a bug but at least the workaround is easy.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
This is only because you use a Project TM Jul 21, 2016

MonsieurNico wrote:

You need to do this only if you prepared your project with a Project TM, which I don't recommend unless you really need this feature.

On the other hand, if all your files are in the same project, the Project TM gets updated for every segment you confirm, so I don't really understand what has gone wrong in your case. Did you check the checkbox "Update" for the TM?

Walter

MonsieurNico
MonsieurNico
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Checking "Update"? Jul 24, 2016

Where would I find the "Update" box to check?

The project was created by the client. They don't systematically merge the files which was why I had to do it myself.

(I agree it is silly that this isn't done automatically. Even worse, my own translations (100%) were not populated, but rather worse older translations (less than 100%) were populated. Overall I'm in the "unimpressed with Trados camp.")

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Update box Jul 25, 2016

MonsieurNico wrote:

This blog post shows where to check the "update" box and offers some other ideas too:

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Have you ever considered getting a training in this software? Jul 26, 2016

MonsieurNico wrote:

The project was created by the client. They don't systematically merge the files which was why I had to do it myself.

(I agree it is silly that this isn't done automatically. Even worse, my own translations (100%) were not populated, but rather worse older translations (less than 100%) were populated. Overall I'm in the "unimpressed with Trados camp.")

Cher Monsieur Nico

I suggest you get familiar with the software and the way it works before you use it productively. This will help you to understand how the software is working and avoid the kind of issues you just encountered.

TMs are automatically populated if they are assigned to the project with the "Update" box checked.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados doesn't remember segments from different files in same package

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »