Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:08
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Oct 26, 2016

I have succesfully created tags according to Paul Filkins article about 'taggy excel' and the corresponding posts in this forum.
But I am still left with a poorly segmented translation file where apparently each cell from excell is still in one segment.

I have still not got to grips with the use of RegEx so that I can easily clean up the file and only concentrate on translating words rater than adding tags ..

Any quick fix ??
kind regards,
Birthe

msoutopico
msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 05:08
English to Galician
+ ...
subfilter? Oct 26, 2016

I understand you have HTML content embedded in an Excel file. I don't use Trados but I would expect it to offer the possibility to use a HTML subfilter inside the Excel filter. I think memoQ does.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which file type are you using? Oct 26, 2016

I know that the bilingual Excel file type will segment the file as you've described when there's content in the target column.

Do you have any examples you can share? That would make it easier to see if someone can help. I just segmented an Excel file yesterday with about 5 segmentation rules and was able to isolate all the tags to their own segments, so it's possible, but it depends on the content.

Best,

Nora

[Edited at 2016-10-26 15:01 GMT]

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subfilter ? Oct 26, 2016

Where do I create the subfilter in SDL studio?

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
normal excel Oct 26, 2016

Nora, thank you - I use a normal excel file, but I am stuck. Where did put the rules?

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Segmentation rules go in the TM Oct 26, 2016

You create any segmentation rules you may want to apply to your file in the TM. I actually have a separate TM just to hold segmentation rules so I can use it with different projects. However, the segmentation rules will depend on the actual content of the file, so without an actual example of your content, I am unable to provide much help.

If you'd like, contact me via Skype (nora.mexico) and I'll walk you through the steps.

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nora ... Oct 27, 2016

Thank you so much, Nora, for your excellent help and patience taking me quietly and professionaly trhoug the solving of my problem - online for several hours!
What a wonderful spirit. What a wonderful person.
Birthe

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're most welcome Birthe Oct 27, 2016

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad we were able to find a solution!

A warm hug to you from Mexico,

Nora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating segmentation rules in an excel/html text

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »