Thread poster: Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Japan
Local time: 12:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 5, 2015

Running Transcheck to confirm numbers are correct, WordFast will recognize as errors what it is actually correct.

e.g.
English 3,249 is considered a mistake in Spanish if written as 3249
English 321,249 is considered a mistake in Spanish if written as 321 249

How can it be specified that in the target language numbers upto 9999 do not need a full stop between the thousands and the hundreds, and that a space will be used to separate thousand for numbers abov
... See more
Running Transcheck to confirm numbers are correct, WordFast will recognize as errors what it is actually correct.

e.g.
English 3,249 is considered a mistake in Spanish if written as 3249

How can it be specified that in the target language numbers upto 9999 do not need a full stop between the thousands and the hundreds, and that a space will be used to separate thousand for numbers above 10,000?
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:21
English to French
+ ...
Excellent question ! Jul 5, 2015

I've been wondering myself.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can't Jul 6, 2015

Unfortunately this is not possible there is no option to do this

You could send a suggestion to Wordfast asking them to include this feature

[Edited at 2015-07-06 12:53 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Disable Numerical Check Jul 6, 2015

You could try disabling "Numerical Check" in Preferences | Transcheck. It is disabled in my set-up, and I never get any warnings about numbers.

Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Japan
Local time: 12:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A CAT tool unable to deal with the rules for numbers? Jul 6, 2015

Very risky to opt for ignoring the numerical check when the translation is an annual financial report, and days ago I was doing financial report for the same company but for an earlier year.

No idea while in other tools we must have a lot of care so that the program does not suddenly start converting all the figures into different systems, and on the other side, Wordfast has so many issues with the numbers.

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
I'm not disagreeing with you Jul 6, 2015

There are plenty more features missing from WfPro.

Fernando Larrazabal wrote:

Very risky to opt for ignoring the numerical check when the translation is an annual financial report, and days ago I was doing financial report for the same company but for an earlier year.

No idea while in other tools we must have a lot of care so that the program does not suddenly start converting all the figures into different systems, and on the other side, Wordfast has so many issues with the numbers.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:21
Member (2006)
French to English
Non-breaking space Aug 19, 2015

Fernando Larrazabal wrote:

e.g.

How can it be specified that in the target language numbers upto 9999 do not need a full stop between the thousands and the hundreds, and that a space will be used to separate thousand for numbers above 10,000?

Hi Fernando,

Did you use a non-breaking space for the thousands separator?

Thanks,

John

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
we are not talking about rocket-science programming, are we? Aug 19, 2015

It would seem a no-brainer that a non-breaking space is used for thousands separators in target languages such as Spanish or French.

Also a no-brainer that QA ought to accept BOTH "123 456" AND "123[non-breaking space]456" when the English source segment contains 123,456.

Like I wrote earlier, I have disabled number checking, to avoid taking more time dealing with QA messages than to translate. Also, since I deal mostly with values in US units requiring conversion into
... See more
It would seem a no-brainer that a non-breaking space is used for thousands separators in target languages such as Spanish or French.

Also a no-brainer that QA ought to accept BOTH "123 456" AND "123[non-breaking space]456" when the English source segment contains 123,456.

Like I wrote earlier, I have disabled number checking, to avoid taking more time dealing with QA messages than to translate. Also, since I deal mostly with values in US units requiring conversion into metric, which is not even on WfP radar screen.

What would really help me as a translator would be for the translation tool, any translation tool, to suggest "3,8 l (1 gallon U.S.)" when the source segment contains "1 gal."

That would be much more useful than the QA tool nagging me for each individual segment with a space after the ending ".", for ex., and similar foolishness. This being a general remark, applicable to other tools as well as WfP, BTW.

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Fernando,

Did you use a non-breaking space for the thousands separator?

Thanks,

John
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to specify number "segmentation" rules

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »