Thread poster: Ramunas Kontrimas
Ramunas Kontrimas
Ramunas Kontrimas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:55
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2021

Not sure, if this the right place to post but maybe someone here knows if there's an equivalent of "double-edged sword" in Latin.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:55
German to Swedish
+ ...
Gladius Nov 30, 2021

It's double edged.

P.L.F. Persio

Ramunas Kontrimas
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Joakim, Nov 30, 2021

I actually meant a phrase: something is a double-edged sword.

expressisverbis

Jennifer White
Jennifer White  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:55
French to English
+ ...
Having good and bad results? Nov 30, 2021

Consequentiae bonae malaeque.

My effort.
Just for fun.

expressisverbis

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
two-edged sword Nov 30, 2021

See explanation of a two-edged sword by someone who knows these languages well and has studied the terms: https://renner.org/article/you-have-a-two-edged-sword/

You could look up Hebrews 4:12 in the Latin Vulgate to see how it was translated from Greek to Latin.

Adam Dickinson
P.L.F. Persio

Ramunas Kontrimas
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Yes but Dec 1, 2021

Jennifer White wrote:

Consequentiae bonae malaeque.

My effort.
Just for fun.

Actually I'm looking for a figurative phrase, just like in English. In my language it is "stick has two ends". I wonder if the Romans had one

Ramunas Kontrimas
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another meaning Dec 1, 2021

MollyRose wrote:

See explanation of a two-edged sword by someone who knows these languages well and has studied the terms: https://renner.org/article/you-have-a-two-edged-sword/

You could look up Hebrews 4:12 in the Latin Vulgate to see how it was translated from Greek to Latin.

Thanks MollyRose,
Interesting, although I didn't know of this meaning only of the one equivalent to "stick has two ends".

Jennifer White
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Ramunas Dec 1, 2021

Mollyroses's post gives no actual Latin version of this phrase, just an explanation, which is not what you asked for. I will investigate further, I do "know these languages". Another Latin-English translator may have a suggestion though. Best wishes.

[Edited at 2021-12-01 14:17 GMT]

expressisverbis

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Latin translation Dec 1, 2021

"vivus est enim Dei sermo et efficax et penetrabilior omni gladio ancipiti et pertingens usque ad divisionem animae ac spiritus conpagum quoque et medullarum et discretor cogitationum et intentionum cordis"

Hebrews 4:12 in the Latin Vulgate. https://www.biblestudytools.com/vula/hebrews/4-12.html

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Jennifer White
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Am lost here Dec 2, 2021

MollyRose wrote:

"vivus est enim Dei sermo et efficax et penetrabilior omni gladio ancipiti et pertingens usque ad divisionem animae ac spiritus conpagum quoque et medullarum et discretor cogitationum et intentionum cordis"

Hebrews 4:12 in the Latin Vulgate. https://www.biblestudytools.com/vula/hebrews/4-12.html

How does this mean a 2-edged sword? A figurative phrase was asked for.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Dec 2, 2021

... regarding the literal translation, there are many.
For example, "bipennis gladio" or "ensis", but actually Ramunas is asking for an idiomatic expression in Latin. I am also trying to look it up...

Adam Dickinson
Adam Dickinson  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:55
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Gladius anceps (?) Dec 2, 2021

MollyRose wrote:

I think this might be helpful to the original asker - at least, I think I found a good reference, though my Latin is very much of the "schoolboy" variety. So hopefully someone can confirm this.

The Latin that is translated as "double-edged sword" is "gladio ancipiti", which in the nominative is "gladius anceps". "Anceps" literally means two-edged, apparently the term is still used in botany and poetry.

If you search for "gladius anceps", most of the results are related to the Bible passage, but I did find one example where the term appears to be used in a similar sense as it is in English:

https://www.emblems.arts.gla.ac.uk/french/dual.php?type1=2&id1=sm371_p079&type2=1&id2=FCPb024

This is, apparently, from a book called "Pegma" by Pierre Cousteau, published in 1555. The header of the page is "Scriptura sacra gladius anceps" - Sacred scripture is a double-edged sword. The text below on the page goes on to detail how a particular plant is useful in medicine but can be poisonous to animals, and then states that, like the plant, scripture can be helpful to those who believe in it but will "drag guilty hearts into broad error".

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
two-edged sword Dec 2, 2021

For those who didn't understand my earlier posts, here is the verse in English, and an additional reference. I contributed because this term was translated from Greek to Latin, and was also translated into English as a two-edged sword. Perhaps the original poster could find my posts helpful in some way, since she wanted to know how to say it in Latin. I don't know Latin and that is why I didn't search it to post here at first, but since somebody else mentioned the fact that I didn't give a trans... See more
For those who didn't understand my earlier posts, here is the verse in English, and an additional reference. I contributed because this term was translated from Greek to Latin, and was also translated into English as a two-edged sword. Perhaps the original poster could find my posts helpful in some way, since she wanted to know how to say it in Latin. I don't know Latin and that is why I didn't search it to post here at first, but since somebody else mentioned the fact that I didn't give a translation, I added it. Now, these verses are included in English, too, for clarity. There are a few other references in the Bible to a two-edged sword, which anyone can look up if they wish, and then find the translation in just about any other language.

Hebrews 4:12-13 ESV
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any **** two-edged sword, **** piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Revelation 1:12-16 ESV
Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around His chest. The hairs of His head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, His feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and His voice was like the roar of many waters. In His right hand He held seven stars, from His mouth came a sharp **** two-edged sword, **** and His face was like the sun shining in full strength.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

double-edged sword in Latin

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »