Is it possible to import auto correct entries of Word? (Yes, it is)
Autor vlákna: Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
Kanada
angličtina -> paňdžábštína
+ ...
Aug 25, 2003

Is there any way I can import auto correct entries of MS Word from my old computer to the new one?
I've already learnt so much from all of you.
Full of gratitude,
rishi

[Edited at 2003-08-27 17:54]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Německo
Local time: 20:43
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
Use a copy of normal.dot Aug 26, 2003

Hi Rishi,
Autotext and auto-correct entries are generally stored in the 'normal.dot' template generated by MS Word. Create a copy of this template file on your old computer (the exact path depends on the options chosen when installing Word - IIRC the default on an English system would be c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Templates), and make sure it's no longer called normal.dot (e.g. 'normal_old.dot'), to avoid interference with your new installation.

Use Tools - Templ
... See more
Hi Rishi,
Autotext and auto-correct entries are generally stored in the 'normal.dot' template generated by MS Word. Create a copy of this template file on your old computer (the exact path depends on the options chosen when installing Word - IIRC the default on an English system would be c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Templates), and make sure it's no longer called normal.dot (e.g. 'normal_old.dot'), to avoid interference with your new installation.

Use Tools - Templates and Add-Ins - Organize to copy the details of your old normal.dot into the new one. This should also work between different versions of MS Word.

Note that the commands I quoted are taken from the German version of MS Word 8 (Office 97), and might differ on newer versions.

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Rishi Miranhshah
Kanada
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
appears auto correct entries are not stored in this template Aug 26, 2003

Thanks so much Ralf for your suggestion. I too thought importing Normal.dot should solve the problem, but it appears auto correct entries are not stored in this template.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
polština -> angličtina
+ ...
unfortunately Aug 26, 2003

normal.dot stores a lot - except for the autocorrects. I've learned to live with it. Whenever I have to reinstall the software I just add the autocorrects as they come along. I haven't found any other (automatic) way to do it.

Nevertheless it is worth keeping a backup copy of normal.dot somewhere to at least avoid having to customize the toolbars and keyboard shortcuts.

cheers,

Pawel Skalinski

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
Francie
němčina -> francouzština
+ ...
The answer is in MS KB (Microsoft Knowledge Base) Aug 26, 2003

Hello Rishi,

Ther is a special procedure for that. You must search in the Knowledge Base of Microsoft (go to the Web site www.microsoft.com, then support, then knowledge base) the corresponding article.
In French the title is "Procédure de déplacement d'entrées de correction automatique d'un ordinateur à l'autre", which is exactly what you want. It's a bit complicate, but "its work!". I d
... See more
Hello Rishi,

Ther is a special procedure for that. You must search in the Knowledge Base of Microsoft (go to the Web site www.microsoft.com, then support, then knowledge base) the corresponding article.
In French the title is "Procédure de déplacement d'entrées de correction automatique d'un ordinateur à l'autre", which is exactly what you want. It's a bit complicate, but "its work!". I don't have the english article, but its nummer should be 2077748 (or Q207748). Anyway, you should find it easy in searching in the KB for "auto correct" and limiting the search to Microsoft Word.

HTH
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
polština -> angličtina
+ ...
found it! (hopefully) Aug 26, 2003

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=0f04e7e9-0272-4396-bde4-6cc3375c6a21

this is the Save My Settings Wizard for Office 2K, but there are others. It claims to store _all_ MS Office user settings, including auto-correct.
So maybe this will solve the problem...
HTH

Rishi Miranhshah
Kanada
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
Thanks Aug 26, 2003

Thank you so much dear TTV & PAS
I knew there were geniuses around.
In English the article is titled:
"HOW TO: Move Word AutoCorrect Entries Between Computers in Word 2002"; and is given at - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269006

Thanks,
TRH (This Really Helped...
See more
Thank you so much dear TTV & PAS
I knew there were geniuses around.
In English the article is titled:
"HOW TO: Move Word AutoCorrect Entries Between Computers in Word 2002"; and is given at - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269006

Thanks,
TRH (This Really Helped
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to import auto correct entries of Word? (Yes, it is)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »