Egor Shapurov
Egor Shapurov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 18, 2019

Hello everyone!

I have a PDF of a rather popular fiction book in Hindi, which I would really like to read, and there seems to be a problem with it.

When I try to copy and paste any text from it, I only get garbage like this:

fizfoV Mªkbo ds edku uacj pkj esa jgus okys feLVj vkSj felst+ MLyhZ xoZ ls dgrs Fks ge rks iwjh rjg lkekU;yksx gSaA dksbZ lksp Hkh ugha ldrk Fkk fd ;g yksx fdlh jgL;e;h ;k vthc pht+ esa my> ldrs Fks] D;ksafd os blrjg dh csrqdh ckrksa l
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have a PDF of a rather popular fiction book in Hindi, which I would really like to read, and there seems to be a problem with it.

When I try to copy and paste any text from it, I only get garbage like this:

fizfoV Mªkbo ds edku uacj pkj esa jgus okys feLVj vkSj felst+ MLyhZ xoZ ls dgrs Fks ge rks iwjh rjg lkekU;yksx gSaA dksbZ lksp Hkh ugha ldrk Fkk fd ;g yksx fdlh jgL;e;h ;k vthc pht+ esa my> ldrs Fks] D;ksafd os blrjg dh csrqdh ckrksa ls nwj jgrs FksA

What do I do wrong wrong? Is it a problem with the PDF, or with my computer? I have tried literally everything I could think of, which included, among other things, installing an authentic Hindi version of Windows on my backup laptop, and it just does not work - the same way as the /free/ OCR software does not work for the Devanagari script.

PS: I am still looking for any Western fiction translated into Hindi which I can read from my computer in any format that supports the copy and paste function, preferably something from the XIX or the beginning of the XX century, and would be very grateful for any suggestions of where I can find/buy one.

Thank you very much in advance.
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 03:18
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
The text is perhaps in a TTF (True Type Font) Sep 19, 2019

One of the possible and perhaps the main reasons is that the Hindi text is in a TTF font and you should have that font installed in your computer so as to view the Hindi text.

I pasted the garbled text provided by you in a Word file, selected the entire text and then applied Kruti Dev 016 and the entire text is very much legible now. You may search online and find and install it which will fix the issue.

[Edited at 2019-09-19 01:15 GMT]

Parvathi Pappu
Ajay Yadav
Ashutosh Mitra

Ajay Yadav
Ajay Yadav  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Link for clarification Sep 19, 2019

Just for clarification, you can paste your document here and see.
I pasted & was elegible to read it in Hindi. You can also try.

Link:

http://rajbhasha.net/drupal514/Kruti%20Dev%20Hindi%20typing%20with%20Mangal%20Unicode%20Converter

-----
If you want it to work on all applications, then you
... See more
Just for clarification, you can paste your document here and see.
I pasted & was elegible to read it in Hindi. You can also try.

Link:

http://rajbhasha.net/drupal514/Kruti%20Dev%20Hindi%20typing%20with%20Mangal%20Unicode%20Converter

-----
If you want it to work on all applications, then you'll have to change your text into unicode format. Unicode format (universal accepted format) is supported by most applications. In MS Word, mangal font gives you unicode format.

Note: if the format of text is not in unicode, then it will be shown like garbage or unknown script.

[Edited at 2019-09-19 05:16 GMT]
Collapse

Ashutosh Mitra
Parvathi Pappu
Rajan Chopra

Parvathi Pappu
Parvathi Pappu  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:18
English to Hindi
+ ...
PDF conversion Sep 19, 2019

The TTFs are so unique that even if you run them through ABBYY FineReader, you won't get any results. You will get the same garbled text.

Ashutosh Mitra

Egor Shapurov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yay life Sep 19, 2019

You are wonderful, people - it works now!

Thank you very much!

Egor Shapurov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ebook repositories suggestions Sep 21, 2019

Do you also know any websites where I can download ebooks in Hindi? Especially the ones I can copy and paste from right now - thank you very much for telling me how to do that!

It can also be a paid resource. I am mostly looking for fiction and scientific/human sciences literature.

Thank you very much in advance.

Ajay Yadav
Ajay Yadav  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Helpful E-book links Sep 22, 2019

https://www.bhaskar.com/news/HNDV-infog-hindi-diwas-top-best-websites-to-download-hindi-ebooks-pdf-free-5690636-NOR.html

[Edited at 2019-09-22 07:21 GMT]

Ashutosh Mitra

Piyush Ojha
Piyush Ojha  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:48
English to Hindi
+ ...
A large number of books ... Sep 23, 2019

from various libraries in India was scanned under the auspices of the Digital Library of India a few years back and made available online. This included a large collection of mostly out of copyright books in Hindi. The DLI website seems to have been abandoned without any notice but it seems that much of the collection was moved to https://archive.org . The quality of the scans is uneven and the names of authors, ... See more
from various libraries in India was scanned under the auspices of the Digital Library of India a few years back and made available online. This included a large collection of mostly out of copyright books in Hindi. The DLI website seems to have been abandoned without any notice but it seems that much of the collection was moved to https://archive.org . The quality of the scans is uneven and the names of authors, titles and keywords have been transliterated inconsistently, so search can be a bit hit-and-miss, but it is an excellent resource all the same. For example, it has the entire Premchand Rachanavali.

Since these are page images, you won't be able to copy-and-paste.

[Edited at 2019-09-23 14:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-09-23 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

Ashutosh Mitra

Egor Shapurov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 23, 2019

Thank you for your suggestions, now I finally feel like I have enough of material to work with.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Amar Nath[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying and pasting from a PDF in Hindi

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »