Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
VAT or no VAT? Client in Norway
Thread poster: fr54ert
fr54ert
fr54ert
Local time: 10:00
Sep 5, 2023

Hello everyone,

Anyone VIES-registered (=valid EU VAT number) issuing invoices to business clients in Norway?

I have a EU-VAT number (VIES). Located in Spain.

My EU business clients (companies) with valid EU-VAT numbers I do not charge VAT. My NON-EU business clients in Iceland and in the US I do not charge VAT either.

I have a new business client in Norway. Am I understanding correctly that invoices should be issued without VAT? Or are there
... See more
Hello everyone,

Anyone VIES-registered (=valid EU VAT number) issuing invoices to business clients in Norway?

I have a EU-VAT number (VIES). Located in Spain.

My EU business clients (companies) with valid EU-VAT numbers I do not charge VAT. My NON-EU business clients in Iceland and in the US I do not charge VAT either.

I have a new business client in Norway. Am I understanding correctly that invoices should be issued without VAT? Or are there some particular rules applying to Norway?

Is there any need to register my foreign business activities in Norway, similar to the rules in Ireland?

Thank you,
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Sep 5, 2023

I have a very sporadic client in Norway. All invoices have been issued without VAT.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:00
German to English
No Sep 5, 2023

Norway is a "third country" for VAT purposes.

What do you mean by registering your business activities in Ireland?

fr54ert
fr54ert
TOPIC STARTER
Great Sep 6, 2023

Thank you Maria and Robin, much appreciated.

Robin, there is a requirement for any contractor who is paid anything over €10k per year to have a current Tax Clearance Certificate – this even applies to non-resident contractors. It requires the completion of a TC1 form. Its been a few years but I recall after the contract period ended claiming back PSWT withheld from a client in Ireland via a lengthy administrative procedure.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agree Sep 6, 2023

Norway is not on the list of countries that you can check an EU VAT number for (if you go to the VIES website and select the question about which countries are included). So, I would consider them the same as the US or UK -- they're a "third" country, i.e. VAT is not shifted.

fr54ert

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:00
Member (2008)
Italian to English
ICE Sep 6, 2023

RobinB wrote:

Iceland or Ireland ?? One letter can make a difference!

[Edited at 2023-09-06 07:33 GMT]

Monica RW
Monica RW
Member (2015)
English to Polish
+ ...
VAT for foreign customers Sep 6, 2023

Hi, I am also registered in Spain and I have the EU VAT No. The rule is simple: you do not add any VAT for any foreign customers who are companies (EU or non-EU alike). I was told to add Spanish VAT only to customers in Spain (companies + natural persons), and to all foreign natural persons. The same rule was applied when I was registered in another EU country earlier. Never had any problem with it.

[Edited at 2023-09-06 07:43 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Philippe Etienne
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Monica RW
Monica RW
Member (2015)
English to Polish
+ ...
VAT for foreign customers Sep 6, 2023

Hi, I am also registered in Spain and I have the EU VAT No. The rule is simple: you do not add any VAT for any foreign customers who are companies (EU or non-EU alike). I was told to add Spanish VAT only to customers in Spain (companies + natural persons), and to all foreign natural persons. Never had any problem with it.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Monica Sep 6, 2023

Monica RW wrote:
The rule [in Spain] is simple: you do not add any VAT for any foreign customers who are companies (EU or non-EU alike). I was told to add Spanish VAT only to customers in Spain (companies + natural persons), and to all foreign natural persons.

Okay, but that's kind of odd, because most in most EU countries (the ones that charge EU VAT), you have to add a comment like "VAT shifted" to the invoice of clients in other EU countries, and you have to add the client's VAT number to the invoice, and you may also be required to declare the EU turnover when you file your taxes.

The rule of treating natural persons and companies differently also applies or used to apply in some other EU countries, e.g. in my country (Netherlands), where natural persons outside the EU used to be charged VAT a few years ago, but these days clients outside the EU don't pay VAT, even if they're a natural person. I mention this because it's possible that the rule had also changed in Spain... i.e. in the past, that was the rule, but now the rule has changed.

[Edited at 2023-09-06 12:36 GMT]

fr54ert
fr54ert
TOPIC STARTER
IE Sep 6, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

RobinB wrote:

Iceland or Ireland ?? One letter can make a difference!

[Edited at 2023-09-06 07:33 GMT]

Ireland, see my comment above on requirements.

fr54ert
fr54ert
TOPIC STARTER
both right Sep 6, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Monica RW wrote:
The rule [in Spain] is simple: you do not add any VAT for any foreign customers who are companies (EU or non-EU alike). I was told to add Spanish VAT only to customers in Spain (companies + natural persons), and to all foreign natural persons.

Okay, but that's kind of odd, because most in most EU countries (the ones that charge EU VAT), you have to add a comment like "VAT shifted" to the invoice of clients in other EU countries, and you have to add the client's VAT number to the invoice, and you may also be required to declare the EU turnover when you file your taxes.

The rule of treating natural persons and companies differently also applies or used to apply in some other EU countries, e.g. in my country (Netherlands), where natural persons outside the EU used to be charged VAT a few years ago, but these days clients outside the EU don't pay VAT, even if they're a natural person. I mention this because it's possible that the rule had also changed in Spain... i.e. in the past, that was the rule, but now the rule has changed.

[Edited at 2023-09-06 12:36 GMT]

You are both right. I have the same understanding as Monica, if services are sold B2B. Goods B2B may have VAT charge requirements based on which EU Member State. And I do as Samuel suggested. In all of my invoices I add a VAT exempt reference in application to CD 2006/112/EC as amended by CD 2008/8/EC and by CD 2020/1756.

Thank you again everyone. Very useful forum exchange as always. If someone has questions on any other country I am happy to help - I have provided services in 18 of the 27 EU Member States, and also to numerous countries beyond the EU.

petrak3
petrak3  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Registering Sep 6, 2023

About this registering requirement... Are any of you registered for these purposes in any other country where your client resides? Is there any such requirement for providing translations for US business clients?

fr54ert
fr54ert
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstanding Sep 6, 2023

petrak3 wrote:

About this registering requirement... Are any of you registered for these purposes in any other country where your client resides? Is there any such requirement for providing translations for US business clients?

I am sure this is a misunderstanding. We were simply referring to being registered in VIES. This has nothing to do with translations but with your business structure. Its about getting a valid EU-VAT number.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Registering Sep 6, 2023

fr54ert wrote:
petrak3 wrote:
About this registering requirement... Are any of you registered for these purposes in any other country where your client resides?

I am sure this is a misunderstanding. We were simply referring to being registered in VIES. This has nothing to do with translations but with your business structure. Its about getting a valid EU-VAT number.

There are situations in which even EU businesses or freelancers have to register in the country of the client, but I'm not sure if this applies to translators.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:00
German to English
Exceptions Sep 6, 2023

Just as a matter of record, there is one exception to the "no-VAT rule". If your business is in a third (non-EU) country and you sell goods or services to customers in the EU who DON'T have a VAT number (mostly retail clients, but also some government agencies), you will have to register your business for VAT with the national tax authority of one (i.e. any) EU member state (I chose Ireland because registering and paying VAT is exceptionally easy). One of my clients is a government authority in ... See more
Just as a matter of record, there is one exception to the "no-VAT rule". If your business is in a third (non-EU) country and you sell goods or services to customers in the EU who DON'T have a VAT number (mostly retail clients, but also some government agencies), you will have to register your business for VAT with the national tax authority of one (i.e. any) EU member state (I chose Ireland because registering and paying VAT is exceptionally easy). One of my clients is a government authority in an EU member state, and I have to charge them VAT at the national rate. They pay it to me, and I remit it to the Irish tax authority (Revenue) once a quarter. I can even pay by credit card (that's how easy it is).

As the UK is also now a "third country", translators who sell translations to these clients in the EU must also register for VAT (as a "one-stop shop"). It doesn't actually cost anything, just takes about 20 minutes a quarter to file and pay.

Robin
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT or no VAT? Client in Norway

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »