Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tried private window Jan 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I think this happens because of your browser and cookies. Try deleting history and cookies first, then restart the browser and possibly also your PC.
Cookies can’t clog your computer one day, one moment, for many users simultaneously.

Thanks for the tip! I deleted cookies and cache and I'm now using a private window, so that's a completely fresh start. This has led to a small change: first I have to log in with my user name and password (didn't have to do that before) and then I get the pictures, so actually that is an extra step. I still have to log in again when I press the back button but I have already become used to pressing the Proz button instead.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:00
English to Russian
Not cookies Jan 17, 2022

Tina Vonhof wrote:
I still have to log in again when I press the back button
Actually I didn't mean that you should delete cookies. I said the opposite. You will not resolve your issue by simply doing that.

Tina Vonhof wrote:
I'm now using a private window
This is exactly what you should not do. Private window causes all of this.

[Edited at 2022-01-17 20:57 GMT]

Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:00
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
Understandable, but Jan 18, 2022

Yana Dovgopol wrote:

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the lack of response from site staff on this issue.

The browser check is temporary. ProZ.com is undergoing a DDoS attack, and the browser check is one of the countermeasures that lets us block the attacks while keeping the site online for everyone else. It will be returned to normal as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Bests,
Yana

Everything seems to be working again now, but if there's a next time some kind of email notice or something so those of us who use the CafeTran license included in the ProZ membership can make any necessary accommodations would be appreciated.

Tom in London
Mr. Satan (X)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:00
Danish to English
+ ...
Information to users Jan 18, 2022

The normal way of dealing with things like this in the IT world is to post a notice on the home page or a status page to inform users as soon as the most urgent security measures have been taken.

I believe it would be reasonable to expect Proz to explain why this was not done. I'm aware it happened during a weekend, but if someone is available to implement security measures during the weekend, that someone could also type a brief notice to inform the users. Maybe they don't have acc
... See more
The normal way of dealing with things like this in the IT world is to post a notice on the home page or a status page to inform users as soon as the most urgent security measures have been taken.

I believe it would be reasonable to expect Proz to explain why this was not done. I'm aware it happened during a weekend, but if someone is available to implement security measures during the weekend, that someone could also type a brief notice to inform the users. Maybe they don't have access to update the site, but they should have, or at least access to a space dedicated to service updates.

If something like this happens again, Proz needs to ensure that timely information is provided to users ASAP. We're the ones paying for all this – in case it has been forgotten.
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Christel Zipfel
Susanne Döring
Tom in London
Yasutomo Kanazawa
expressisverbis

Susanne Döring
Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 14:00
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
Weekend? Jan 18, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I believe it would be reasonable to expect Proz to explain why this was not done. I'm aware it happened during a weekend, but if someone is available to implement security measures during the weekend, that someone could also type a brief notice to inform the users. Maybe they don't have access to update the site, but they should have, or at least access to a space dedicated to service updates.

If something like this happens again, Proz needs to ensure that timely information is provided to users ASAP. We're the ones paying for all this – in case it has been forgotten.

I agree, of course - more so, what weekend? Here weekend is Friday, so Saturday morning I was starting my new week with this problem. And - be serious, even in parts of the world where Weekend is Sat/Sun, do you all take these two days off? No deadlines on Mondays? Just btw.

I see that Ddos attacks are a big problem, but as it was said, some information would have been nice.

Tom in London
Kay Denney
Angie Garbarino
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:00
Serbian to English
+ ...
Ahem... in fact, it's not Jan 19, 2022

JaneD wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I think this happens because of your browser and cookies. Try deleting history and cookies first, then restart the browser and possibly also your PC.

You don't think that's going to get a bit tiring if you visit ProZ regularly? I'm perfectly OK with added security being a thing, but it should be something I can opt into, not something that's forced on me without my say so. It's my security, after all.

"It's my security, after all"

Can't remember now the exact wording on this annoying screen that from time to time gets in my way when accessing various sites (not only Proz) but it's definitely not about your security.

This company Cloudflare is flogging its services to sites owners - they are "protecting" the site you are trying to visit FROM YOU, in case you have malicious intentions.

Same as in RealWorld v1.0, that's what happens when you hire over-paranoid security - regular visitors get harassed and annoyed.

With other sites, I just move on to the next site that could of interest.

Proz might have goods reasons to resort to their services, or not. We can only guess.

Mr. Satan (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a Security Check really necessary?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »