Iuliana Bozkurt  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:50
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Apr 27, 2016

Dear all,

could you please recommend a reliable dictation software? Unfortunately my typing capacity is quite restricted temporarily and I would really need a software to write the translations that I dictate. I heard about Dragon, but it only supports a couple of languages. And Romanian - the language I need - is not among them.

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Iuliana

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Macs Apr 27, 2016

If you are using the MacOS, it includes an extremely good, professional-quality dictation application as part of the system (and therefore fully integrated with it). Romanian is one of the languages. And being part of the OS, it doesn't cost anything. I use it all the time.

Iuliana Bozkurt
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Apr 27, 2016

Thanks for the tip, Tom! Unfortunately I don't have a MAC So I guess I must keep on looking...

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:50
English to Italian
+ ...
@Iuliana Apr 27, 2016

I found a website, dictation.io which also supports Romanian, but it works only on Chrome and you should copy the text dictated on the browser (the interface looks like a notepad) and paste it on the file/CAT tool on which your are working.
I reckon it is intricate, but at least it's something

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
myEcho: iOS Dictation for Windows Apr 27, 2016

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you could also try "myEcho": http://myechoapp.com/faq

I haven't tried it myself, but it is basically a trick allowing you to use your iPhone as a microphone / dictation program, but on Windows (what you dictate into your iPhon/iPad gets automatically sent to whatever text field is active on your Windows PC). I'm not sure though if iPhones support Romanian yet. If they
... See more
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you could also try "myEcho": http://myechoapp.com/faq

I haven't tried it myself, but it is basically a trick allowing you to use your iPhone as a microphone / dictation program, but on Windows (what you dictate into your iPhon/iPad gets automatically sent to whatever text field is active on your Windows PC). I'm not sure though if iPhones support Romanian yet. If they do, you might be in luck.

Another option is to look into "Dragon Anywhere". I'm not sure (yet) what it actually does, but it apparently can sync between your local copy of Dragon and Dragon on a mobile device (which support more languages than the desktop versions).

Michael

[Edited at 2016-04-27 14:48 GMT]
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 07:50
German to French
+ ...
A very powerful opportunity May 1, 2016

Bună ziua Iuliana,

A very simple, powerful and free solution (no advertising here) :

Chrome > Google Docs

In the Tools you have a dictation option and you can select your language. Romanian is recognized.

Have a look here (French interface, but no matter) :

http://www.screencast.com/t/kqQIzC4HLo

La revedere !

... See more
Bună ziua Iuliana,

A very simple, powerful and free solution (no advertising here) :

Chrome > Google Docs

In the Tools you have a dictation option and you can select your language. Romanian is recognized.

Have a look here (French interface, but no matter) :

http://www.screencast.com/t/kqQIzC4HLo

La revedere !

[Modifié le 2016-05-01 09:08 GMT]
Collapse

Iuliana Bozkurt
Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... May 1, 2016

all for the useful information you shared with me. If I want to dictate my translations directly in my CAT tool, it seems that myecho could be what I need. I'll give it a try, especially since I have an iPhone available

Adrien, your recommendation is just great, but it still involves the copy+paste step, which I am trying to avoid at all costs, as it reduces my productivity (which is exactly the reason why I am trying
... See more
all for the useful information you shared with me. If I want to dictate my translations directly in my CAT tool, it seems that myecho could be what I need. I'll give it a try, especially since I have an iPhone available

Adrien, your recommendation is just great, but it still involves the copy+paste step, which I am trying to avoid at all costs, as it reduces my productivity (which is exactly the reason why I am trying to dictate instead of typing).

Hopefully in the future Nuance (Dragon manufacturer) will create something interesting for more exotic languages, so to say, not only for English/French/Spanish and all the other VIP languages

Thanks again and happy translating
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
For Android May 2, 2016

The Swype+Dragon application is absolutely brilliant and works well in many languages. On my phone it has been tested for Romanian, Portuguese, English and Greek. It does involve the copy/paste step, however.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictation software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »