Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]
Is there really a requirement under ISO for free test translations?
Autor de la hebra: MariusV
hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 15:33
inglés al alemán
Quality or ISO Dec 3, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I don't see where the problem is. The whole point of ISO certification is quality, and delivering quality translations has a lot to do with professionalism. If you are ISO certified and deliver faulty translations, then I don't see why you should be ISO certified. In other words, the specific purpose of ISO is meeting quality standards - a faulty translation isn't exactly what I would call a quality translation...

It lies in confusing workflow documentation and product quality. The former may well be a necessary but surely not sufficient condition for the latter. A quality level (anywhere between 0% and 100%) is set individually (as you acknowledge by referring to what you would call a quality translation) and then the workflow hopefully made to enable achievement of the set goal; however no quality level is achieved just because a workflow documentation exists. All other factors have to be in place and working properly too.

From this humble non-member's POV quality is simply defined by return custom.

I'd also like to draw attention to what MariusV wrote on Dec. 29th; he neatly describes in a pointed way what sometimes happens under that "certified" label.
Best.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-12-03 11:32 GMT]

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Estados Unidos
Local time: 08:33
inglés al alemán
Quality or ISO Dec 5, 2008

A great misconception lies in the fact that people assume that ISO equals quality.

However, these are 2 spearate entities. The only thing ISO certification proves is:

1. that you have a certain set of policies and procedures in place

2. that said policies and procuedures are repeatable

3. and that the repeatability of said policies and procedures can be verified since they are documented.

Quality is the eventual goal of this repea
... See more
A great misconception lies in the fact that people assume that ISO equals quality.

However, these are 2 spearate entities. The only thing ISO certification proves is:

1. that you have a certain set of policies and procedures in place

2. that said policies and procuedures are repeatable

3. and that the repeatability of said policies and procedures can be verified since they are documented.

Quality is the eventual goal of this repeatability, but the goal is not always achieved.

In my personal opinion and based on experience, Quality is a "by-product" of ISO and I consider ISO a very expensive marketing tool, but not much more.

Uwe
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there really a requirement under ISO for free test translations?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »