Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9]
New free & open source aligner (for Windows, OS X and linux)
Thread poster: FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
note Jan 6, 2016

esperantisto wrote:

I have a plain-text file UTF-8 that I want to convert to a TMX file (using TMX Maker 3.0 from LF Aligner 4.1 on Windows 7) as follows:
Code:
source{tab}target

When I start TMX Maker, I see:

Code:
Drag and drop the input file (tab delimited txt in UTF-8 encoding, or xls) here
and press enter.

My file seems to fit, thus, I drag and drop it, go through the following steps (choose the output file name, the number of languages (2, as by default), the language codes (I specify EN-US and BE-BY), the date/time (I confirm the default), the creator name (I confirm the default), the note (I leave none), and hit Enter. Then I get just a bunch of:
Code:
LINE XXX OF THE FILE DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH COLUMNS, SO IT HAS BEEN SKIPPED.
CHECK THE SOURCE FILE AND RUN THE TMX MAKER AGAIN IF NEEDED

and then:
Code:
0 TUs have been written to the TMX. XXX segments were skipped (0 of them due to
being half-empty).

And, obviously, the resulting TMX file contains only a conventional TMX header, but no TUs.

I tried to search for the above error message in Internet, but I could only find: reading a CSV files columns directly into variables names with python. However, this does not help me.

Is there anything else that I should check/look into?

The reason is that the TMX maker looks for a third column in the txt file if you leave the default settings in place (because LF Aligner produces 3-column tabbed files with the name of the source files in the third column). Your file only has two columns, so when you get the prompt for adding a note, enter a reference to the source file (or type none to leave it off).

[Edited at 2016-01-06 09:36 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:26
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I know that Jan 6, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

Slightly off-topic, but the Heartsome TMX editor has a great little tool for converting tab-delimited files (and Excel files) to TMXs.

I know that. But my question was about TMX Maker as it offers a somewhat faster procedure.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:26
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks! Jan 6, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

Your file only has two columns, so when you get the prompt for adding a note, enter a reference to the source file (or type none to leave it off).

Now I see it was my mistake: I just hit Enter at this stage. The problem solved, and now I get valid TMX files. Thank you!

Fiona Paterson
Fiona Paterson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Problem with batch alignment to produce tmx May 5, 2016

Hello,

I've been using LF Aligner successfully for a while to align small numbers of files, but now I want to try batch align. I'm following Andras's instructions. I've never used perl before. I can batch align multiple files to produce an aligned text file, but when I try to produce a .tmx file, I am prompted to fill in details such as the language code for each language for every pair of files. Is there any way that I can enter one set of values to be used with every pair of files
... See more
Hello,

I've been using LF Aligner successfully for a while to align small numbers of files, but now I want to try batch align. I'm following Andras's instructions. I've never used perl before. I can batch align multiple files to produce an aligned text file, but when I try to produce a .tmx file, I am prompted to fill in details such as the language code for each language for every pair of files. Is there any way that I can enter one set of values to be used with every pair of files - i.e. is it possible to produce a .tmx unattended?

Here's an example of a command line I'm using:

LF_aligner_4.05.exe -f=t -l=fr,en -s=y -r=xn -t=y -i=m:\FR\13_0965_O_FRA.DOC,m:\EN\13_0965_O_EN.DOC

Please keep explanations simple! I can usually get my computer to do what I want it to do and sort out glitches, but I'm by no means tech-savvy.

Many thanks in advance,

Fiona

[Edited at 2016-05-05 11:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-05 12:01 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
codes May 5, 2016

Fiona Paterson wrote:

Hello,

I've been using LF Aligner successfully for a while to align small numbers of files, but now I want to try batch align. I'm following Andras's instructions. I've never used perl before. I can batch align multiple files to produce an aligned text file, but when I try to produce a .tmx file, I am prompted to fill in details such as the language code for each language for every pair of files. Is there any way that I can enter one set of values to be used with every pair of files - i.e. is it possible to produce a .tmx unattended?

Here's an example of a command line I'm using:

LF_aligner_4.05.exe -f=t -l=fr,en -s=y -r=xn -t=y -i=m:\FR\13_0965_O_FRA.DOC,m:\EN\13_0965_O_EN.DOC

I don't have time for testing, so here goes based on memory and the readme:

You need to add the codes to the command. From the readme:
Codes - TMX language codes, separated by commas
so: LF_aligner_4.05.exe -f=t -l=fr,en -s=y -r=xn -t=y -c=fr-fr,en-gb

But this makes 100 tmx files if you align 100 file pairs (I think). For a single file, generate a single outfile. Readme:
Outfile - the full path of an output file, to which the aligned material is appended (useful when running more than one alignment). If you are using command line arguments for batch tasks and your files are not in the same folder, you should always specify an outfile, otherwise the output files will be scattered in various folders (wherever the first file of each of the file pairs is located).

So, omit the -t from the command and go:
so: LF_aligner_4.05.exe -f=t -l=fr,en -s=y -r=xn -o=m:\all_aligned.txt

Then use the tmx maker in other_tools to generate a tmx from the txt file.

Fiona Paterson
Fiona Paterson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Solution found May 5, 2016

This often happens to me - I stew over a problem for hours, post a query, and then the answer comes to me! My CAT tool (MemoQ) can import CSV files into a translation memory. Bingo! Sorry for taking up anyone's time.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Testing the Mac version Jun 3, 2016

After having watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzAdLrsJxms

I decided to test LF aligner for Mac: LF_aligner_3.12_mac.zip, downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

Observations:
After having watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzAdLrsJxms

I decided to test LF aligner for Mac: LF_aligner_3.12_mac.zip, downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

Observations:

• After starting the script, there are two error messages because of useless use of '\E'.
  • File names that contain spaces cause 'ERROR: Input file not found (No such file or directory). So you should rename your input files to names without spaces: PT1.docx, EN1.docx etc.
  • As shown in the video, any modified Excel file isn't used for creating the TMX. Instead the unmodified version of the Excel file is used. So you'll have to run the script TMX_maker_2.23.command manually. Could this be fixed, please?
  • There is a Join (Merge) command, but no Split command. Could this be added, please?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New free & open source aligner (for Windows, OS X and linux)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »