Joop Fraikin (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 30, 2016

Bonjour,

Un de mes amis me pose la question suivante:

"Salut Joop,

Aurais-tu par hasard un outil qui te permet de convertir un pdf en idml (format de fichier Indesign) ? Il existe et s’appelle PDF2ID.

(...) m’a appelé à ce sujet. Elle travaille de temps en temps pour une boîte de traduction qui envoie à ses traducteurs des fichiers idml, qu’ils ouvrent dans un outil dans lequel ils peuvent directement traduire. Et elle doit ensuite r�
... See more
Bonjour,

Un de mes amis me pose la question suivante:

"Salut Joop,

Aurais-tu par hasard un outil qui te permet de convertir un pdf en idml (format de fichier Indesign) ? Il existe et s’appelle PDF2ID.

(...) m’a appelé à ce sujet. Elle travaille de temps en temps pour une boîte de traduction qui envoie à ses traducteurs des fichiers idml, qu’ils ouvrent dans un outil dans lequel ils peuvent directement traduire. Et elle doit ensuite réouvrir les fichiers Indesign, vérifier que les traductions des textes se déroulent correctement et corriger si nécessaire. Dans ce cas particulier, la boîte de traductions ne dispose que du pdf (ils ont perdu l’idml). Comme je sais que tu as déjà travaillé de cette manière, je me suis dit que tu aurais peut-être une idée…"

Qui peut aider...?
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Doubtful Aug 30, 2016

Formats that don't support the same features are not interoperable. Converting PDF into useful Indesign files would be impossible for a vast number of technical compatibility reasons (text flow, kerning, styles, image handling, tables, hyphenation, font files etc.).

The best you could get is something that to a non-designer has the superficial appearance of an Indesign file, but is of no use at all to someone working in Indesign: Unthreaded text flows, chaotic object runarounds, ine
... See more
Formats that don't support the same features are not interoperable. Converting PDF into useful Indesign files would be impossible for a vast number of technical compatibility reasons (text flow, kerning, styles, image handling, tables, hyphenation, font files etc.).

The best you could get is something that to a non-designer has the superficial appearance of an Indesign file, but is of no use at all to someone working in Indesign: Unthreaded text flows, chaotic object runarounds, inexact kerning, hard-cropped images, unreliable overprint settings etc.

There might be the occasional exception, but in most cases, handling such a document in Indesign would be much more time-consuming than recreating it from scratch.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:34
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Google it Aug 30, 2016

Google gives https://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/

I haven't tried it and have no idea whether it's any good or not. I imagine that if the original pdf was created in InDesign it might be useful, but if it is an image, for example, it's not going to help much.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:34
English to French
+ ...
indd/idml Aug 30, 2016

The specs on that page show that this PDF2ID product converts PDF files into INDD, which is InDesign native format. So, even if the "translation company" were to use it, they wouldn't be able to use it, unless they also have InDesign to export the IDML file.

Frankly, one wonders why the "translation company" does not have any IDML file (original file from their customer, or translated IDML file from the translator(s)), and does not request the original IDML file from their customer.
... See more
The specs on that page show that this PDF2ID product converts PDF files into INDD, which is InDesign native format. So, even if the "translation company" were to use it, they wouldn't be able to use it, unless they also have InDesign to export the IDML file.

Frankly, one wonders why the "translation company" does not have any IDML file (original file from their customer, or translated IDML file from the translator(s)), and does not request the original IDML file from their customer.

quote]John Fossey wrote:

I haven't tried it and have no idea whether it's any good or not. I imagine that if the original pdf was created in InDesign it might be useful, but if it is an image, for example, it's not going to help much. [/quote]
Collapse

Joop Fraikin (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They lost the idml file... Aug 30, 2016

My feeling is that the agency had the idml file translated, then lost it and now try and have someone solve their problem for them. Instead, what they should do is ask their customer for the original idml file (so embarrassing!) and then ask their translator to translate it again, which should be no problem at all. The other possibility I can think of is that they have an inhouse dtp department and they messed up!

JL01 wrote:

quote]John Fossey wrote:

I haven't tried it and have no idea whether it's any good or not. I imagine that if the original pdf was created in InDesign it might be useful, but if it is an image, for example, it's not going to help much.
[/quote]

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
French forum? Aug 30, 2016

Un peu de considération s'il vous plaît.

Merci.

Joop Fraikin (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excuses Aug 30, 2016

Oui, une erreur de ma part, mille excuses!

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Un peu de considération s'il vous plaît.

Merci.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF2ID

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »