Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 20:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 6, 2007

Hi,
I wonder if anyone has come across this problem before. I have a spreadsheet set up in Excel 2003 and the spreadsheet consists of several pages or sheets. I set up formulas on each page which take information from other pages so when one formula or calculation is changed, then the corresponding cells on other pages will automatically recalculate.

For example, inputting the latest exchange rate for USD-GBP on the "rates" page will automatically update cells on other pages t
... See more
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has come across this problem before. I have a spreadsheet set up in Excel 2003 and the spreadsheet consists of several pages or sheets. I set up formulas on each page which take information from other pages so when one formula or calculation is changed, then the corresponding cells on other pages will automatically recalculate.

For example, inputting the latest exchange rate for USD-GBP on the "rates" page will automatically update cells on other pages that use that rate within their formula.

This spreadsheet has been working fine for months and everytime I would make updates, everything else would automatically update with the new information. Now I find this is not happening anymore.

Now whenever I change one thing on one page, I then have to go through the other pages individually, click on the cell that should have updated, click within the formula itself at the top of the page, press enter and then it updates.

I have made no changes to my system whatsoever so I can't think why this has suddenly stopped working.

I hope this all makes sense. Can anyone advise?

Many thanks,
Mark
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
French to English
Check settings?? Feb 6, 2007

You haven't said if you've checked this:

Under Tools, options, calculation tab - is the "automatic" button selected?

Sometimes, I do find that these things seem to change themselves - whether Word displays images or not seems to vary with the weather on my laptop

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 20:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 6, 2007

Well this is embarrassing! The first thing I always tell people when they have problems is to check their settings/options. I could have sworn I'd already checked but obviously not.

You're quite right of course. For some reason only known to Excel, it had changed to manual.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Charlie, much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Mark

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with automatic update of formulas in Excel 2003

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »