Proofreading and Editing Software (2013 versions)
Thread poster: Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero
Daniel Salinero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:51
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2013

I'd love to know if you have found any useful proofreading or editing software for English, Spanish or French language target texts. Clearly, another human proofreader or editor would be best but there are times when that is not possible or practical. I've done some research and have found products such as WhiteSmoke, PerfectIt, and Grammarly, but with mixed reviews. I'd like to know which you use, if any, and your review of the product. Thank you.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:51
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Don't even consider WhiteSmoke Jul 12, 2013

Daniel Salinero wrote:

I'd love to know if you have found any useful proofreading or editing software for English, Spanish or French language target texts. Clearly, another human proofreader or editor would be best but there are times when that is not possible or practical. I've done some research and have found products such as WhiteSmoke, PerfectIt, and Grammarly, but with mixed reviews. I'd like to know which you use, if any, and your review of the product. Thank you.

WhiteSmoke is malware trying to pass itself up as legitimate software (for more information, see my article White Smoke: writing tool or malware?").

I don't know Grammarly, but I occasionally use PerfectIt (an excellent product).

Another program to consider (for English) is Style Writer (from Editor Software).

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:51
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Verifika Jul 12, 2013

An excellent tool for proofreaders - I am very happy with it:
http://e-verifika.com/

Natalia

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I agree Jul 13, 2013

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
PerfectIt (an excellent product).

It's designed for longer texts, and it certainly doesn't replace spellcheckers or a read-through. What it does do is check consistency. If you've typed "U.N." and "UN", it'll tell you, and if you haven't said what it stands for, it'll tell you so. Likewise with "initialise" and "initialize", along with a whole host of punctuation inconsistencies. They've recently brought in a whole list of style guides for you to check your work against, and you can create your own client style preferences.

I certainly haven't regretted buying it. I believe you can often get discounts here on ProZ.com.

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
For French Jul 13, 2013

the Antidote program is great. You have to be careful not to accept everything it tells you is wrong but then that's the difference between the machine and a human being

I don't know of any in Spanish...though I'd love to! Maybe putting a post on Asetrad...

Christophe

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Verifika Nov 27, 2014

Verifika is really a great tool for thorough quality assessment. It's a great help in finding all those terminology mismatches, typos and many more. http://e-verifika.com/. And it combines more languages so no need really for single-language proofing tools.

Wolfgang

P.S.: Sorry for DéjàV users, but while it works like a charm with SDL Studio as of now Verifika does not support DVX form
... See more
Verifika is really a great tool for thorough quality assessment. It's a great help in finding all those terminology mismatches, typos and many more. http://e-verifika.com/. And it combines more languages so no need really for single-language proofing tools.

Wolfgang

P.S.: Sorry for DéjàV users, but while it works like a charm with SDL Studio as of now Verifika does not support DVX format.

[Edited at 2014-11-28 07:19 GMT]
Collapse

Beatriz Cirera
Beatriz Cirera  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
English to Spanish
Verifika- loving it Jan 12, 2015

I love Verifika, more than any other QA software. For me, it's the most accurate, user friendly, and reliable QA companion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading and Editing Software (2013 versions)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »