Thread poster: sabrino
sabrino
sabrino  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:05
French to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 31, 2014

In October I received a verification work for translation agency saying that client complained the quality of translation with reviewed document at hand. I checked the translation and found out 99% of changes are unnecessary legitimate translation.

Reviewers are usually working on hourly wage, therefore, the more they change for the purposing of changing, the more they earn. If they are working on price-per-word basis, such changes are signs of hostile leg-pulling of translators. I
... See more
In October I received a verification work for translation agency saying that client complained the quality of translation with reviewed document at hand. I checked the translation and found out 99% of changes are unnecessary legitimate translation.

Reviewers are usually working on hourly wage, therefore, the more they change for the purposing of changing, the more they earn. If they are working on price-per-word basis, such changes are signs of hostile leg-pulling of translators. I do not understand their motivation to change for the purpose of changing. This is inefficient for all parties concerned.

For the tribal language, Japanese, there should be review norm such as mandatory justification of any change in a table file indicating source, original translation, change, and justification.
No one would justify any changes as "this is according to my taste and style".

After all, I reverted unjustifiable changes and sent back the good original translation. Client understood what (and who) was wrong.
Collapse

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 19:05
Translation work Feb 16, 2015

You have taken a right decision Sabrino. As Client pays for his work & definately needs an accurate result. In some cases, client’s motivation is different or high. For that reason they need more quality in all the translation work they look out for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem: Japanese reviewer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »