For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Free Webinar - Wordfast Pro 4 for Advanced Dummies

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Free Webinar - Wordfast Pro 4 for Advanced Dummies".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:45
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast Pro 4 for Dummies webinar Jan 28, 2016

Dear John,
You recommend watching first the (free?) "Wordfast Pro 4 for Dummies webinar" but haven't told us where it can be accessed (unless I've missed something).
Best regards,
Clive

Melinda Mondovics
Melinda Mondovics
Hungary
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Free Webinar - Wordfast Pro 4 for Advanced Dummies Jan 28, 2016

Dear John,

I would be interested in "Wordfast Pro 4 for Dummies webinar", too and my question is the same as Clive's.
Thank you so much for your kind help in advance!

Kind regards,
Melinda

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:45
Member (2006)
French to English
Good question Jan 28, 2016

And not easy to find; it took me about 7 minutes
Here is the link: http://www.proz.com/videos/4129-wordfast-pro-4-for-dummies
See you next week!
John

lysander canlas
lysander canlas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:45
English to Tagalog
+ ...
how come there is no update to v4? Jan 29, 2016

john: we're using wordafast pro v3.4.6 on os x el capitan (10.11.13). i clicked on "check for a new version", and i'm told that i'm on the latest.

what's the deal?

thank you, sandy

Maciej Szemiel
Maciej Szemiel
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
How to update Wordfast Pro v. 3.4.6 to v. 4? Jan 30, 2016

Hello John,

I would like to update my Wordfast to version 4 before the webinar. Can you tell me how to do it? I work on Mac OS X El Capitan.

Best Regards,
Maciej

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Download Wordfast Pro 4 Feb 2, 2016

Dear Sandy and Maciej,

You can download Wordfast Pro 4 from the following link: http://www.wordfast.com/wfp4

Please wait a couple of days though as we are about to post a new version (4.6.0 instead of 4.5.1) and it would be better to download and install that!

See you on Monday!
John

ibizab
ibizab
Canada
WF 4 downloaded: still opens as WF 3? Feb 4, 2016

Hi John,
I just downloaded what I thought was WF4 (at the link you provided), but when I open it, it's still opening as WF3.4.6 (whether I open from the alias or the last version icon). Any idea why it wouldn't update?
Thanks for your help!

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Different software Feb 5, 2016

Dear Ibizab,

Wordfast Pro 3 and 4 are two separate softwares. 4 does not overwrite 3 but installs alongside it. Be careful on the Mac because when you unzip it, it has the same name (stupid bug that needs to be fixed). If you put Wordfast Pro 4 in the same folder (say Applications folder), Finder will ask if you want to overwrite the Wordfast.app that already exists (which is Wordfast Pro 3). Click on "Keep both" and rename them to Wordfast3.app and Wordfast4.app.

I hop
... See more
Dear Ibizab,

Wordfast Pro 3 and 4 are two separate softwares. 4 does not overwrite 3 but installs alongside it. Be careful on the Mac because when you unzip it, it has the same name (stupid bug that needs to be fixed). If you put Wordfast Pro 4 in the same folder (say Applications folder), Finder will ask if you want to overwrite the Wordfast.app that already exists (which is Wordfast Pro 3). Click on "Keep both" and rename them to Wordfast3.app and Wordfast4.app.

I hope this is clear!

John
Collapse

ibizab
ibizab
Canada
Not as simple - unfortunately Feb 6, 2016

Hello John,

The explanation is clear, thank you, John. Except that what happen was different: when I downloaded again (I had to provide email information and get the link of the preview version through email), I got two items: the icon of WF and a tar document. I click on the tar document, the unzipped version, and it creates another icon, which calls itself Wordfast 2 (?) - quite confusing. It eventually opened on my screen as a little window that froze, and I couldn't do anything, n
... See more
Hello John,

The explanation is clear, thank you, John. Except that what happen was different: when I downloaded again (I had to provide email information and get the link of the preview version through email), I got two items: the icon of WF and a tar document. I click on the tar document, the unzipped version, and it creates another icon, which calls itself Wordfast 2 (?) - quite confusing. It eventually opened on my screen as a little window that froze, and I couldn't do anything, not quit, not even force quit. Now, I'm a little bit concerned to reopen, and I was wondering if there were other known bugs on Mac I should be aware of before I try to reuse this version... Or if I should go back to the link that was emailed to me and re-download the tar document, or click on the WF icon and see what happens? Thanks for your precious help, always appreciated...

[Edited at 2016-02-07 20:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-07 20:29 GMT]
Collapse

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Delete .app icon, unzip and move to applications Feb 8, 2016

ibizab wrote:

Hello John,

The explanation is clear, thank you, John. Except that what happen was different: when I downloaded again (I had to provide email information and get the link of the preview version through email), I got two items: the icon of WF and a tar document. I click on the tar document, the unzipped version, and it creates another icon, which calls itself Wordfast 2 (?) - quite confusing. It eventually opened on my screen as a little window that froze, and I couldn't do anything, not quit, not even force quit. Now, I'm a little bit concerned to reopen, and I was wondering if there were other known bugs on Mac I should be aware of before I try to reuse this version... Or if I should go back to the link that was emailed to me and re-download the tar document, or click on the WF icon and see what happens? Thanks for your precious help, always appreciated...

[Edited at 2016-02-07 20:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-07 20:29 GMT]

Before I install a new version on Mac, I first delete the previous version (that I had moved into the Applications folder) by moving it to the trash.
I unzip the Mac download by double clicking on it, then drag the Wordfast.app icon into the Applications folder. If using Wordfast Pro 3 on the same machine, I rename it to Wordfast4.app before dragging into the applications folder.
I suggest you re-download the new version and maybe re-organize your downloads. For example, I have a Wordfast > Software directory and each version gets its own sub-folder. This makes it easier for me to fall back on a previous version: http://www.screencast.com/t/irbVZOo4B4D

I just realized that I had not sent the new link to people already using 4.5 but only posted in forums. I just sent it so you should be able to use the link in th email and not have to resubmit the form. Sorry about that.

John

Clive Phillips
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
No access to live webinar Feb 8, 2016

"You will receive a confirmation email from Go To Webinar, the session delivery platform, containing information and a unique link for joining the webinar. This link is unique to your registration and can only be used by you."

I did not receive the email, so was unable to attend the webinar.

Clive

[Edited at 2016-02-08 18:40 GMT]

Clive Phillips
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Access to live webinar Feb 8, 2016

Many apologies. Please ignore my comment above. The confirmation email was in my Wordfast email folder, whereas I expected it in my Proz.com email folder! Mea culpa!
Clive

Mary Georgina Hardinge
Mary Georgina Hardinge  Identity Verified
Spain
Thanks! Feb 8, 2016

My internet connection failed at one point but I hope to catch up on the part I missed when the webinar is uploaded.
Thanks for several useful tips!
None of my questions made it into the list. Where would be the best place to ask them: in this thread or somewhere else (ProZ support forum, Google group...)?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Webinar - Wordfast Pro 4 for Advanced Dummies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »