Thread poster: J.E.Sunseri
J.E.Sunseri
J.E.Sunseri  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
Member (2009)
Russian to English
Jul 24, 2011

I'm wondering how much SDL certification costs, and if it's worth it, even? I am a little frustrated by how opaque this kind of information--especially the pricing--at the Trados website. Just wondering if anyone out there who has gone through online or other Internet-based certification courses can share their thoughts.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:06
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you buy training, the certification is included Jul 24, 2011

Or at least this is what I know.

Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)
Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados Studio 2009 training / certification Jul 24, 2011

Hello New Trans,

I purchased Trados Studio 2009 last month via a ProZ TGB.

ProZ also offers training for $99 per session. There are three levels:

1. Getting Started
2. Intermediate
3. Advanced

I purchased the training for the first level, Getting Started. This includes an online three-hour webinar-type training. You also receive the Trados Certification Workbook with sample files. After I paid the $99.00, I had immediate access to
... See more
Hello New Trans,

I purchased Trados Studio 2009 last month via a ProZ TGB.

ProZ also offers training for $99 per session. There are three levels:

1. Getting Started
2. Intermediate
3. Advanced

I purchased the training for the first level, Getting Started. This includes an online three-hour webinar-type training. You also receive the Trados Certification Workbook with sample files. After I paid the $99.00, I had immediate access to download the workbook and sample files. I went through the workbook and did the sample exercises prior to the online training. I found the online training a bit boring and repetitive since I had already gone through the workbook. I realize that for my particular learning style, I do better with a self-paced, do-it-yourself approach. Also, there were some instances where the trainer used Trados-specific terminology that did not coincide with what was in the workbook. The certification exams use terminology exactly as it appears in the workbook. So, I found the training to be a little detrimental to my success on the exam. You are given three attempts and I did eventually pass.

For the other two levels (Intermediate and Advanced) I purchased it directly from Trados at $69 each. This includes the same workbook and same files that you get when you purchase the training.
I completed and successfully passed all three levels in one weekend.

Unless you know that you'd prefer an online training, you can save yourself $30 per level (a total of $90). During the training you have the opportunity to type a question that the trainer will then read and answer for the whole group to hear. I found that it's a bit difficult to sometimes formulate a question and explain what you want to say during the training and I felt that sometimes the trainer did not get the full gist of what was being asked.

I find it much easier to take your time and post your question in the appropriate ProZ forum. You will notice that there are many peers who are more than willing to answer your questions and if you require further clarification, you can keep posting in the same thread.

In my opinion, the workbooks and sample files should be included when you purchase Trados. But, of course, it's a marketing scheme for SDL to make a profit and we all know that the word "certification" is buzz word!

I hope that my experience helps you in making a decision.

Good luck!
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
Interesting! Jul 24, 2011

Stefano D'Amato wrote:

For the other two levels (Intermediate and Advanced) I purchased it directly from Trados at $69 each. This includes the same workbook and same files that you get when you purchase the training.

I have attended the first webinar for beginners this month. It's good to know that I can save money, when I buy the courses directly.

Stefano D'Amato wrote:

I completed and successfully passed all three levels in one weekend.

But you have to finish/purchase all three courses, before you can try to get the certification, right?

Greetings from Florida!

Marina

[Edited at 2011-07-24 21:26 GMT]

Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)
Stefano Nicola D'Amato (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
You get certification at each level Jul 25, 2011

Hey Marina,

Please note, that if you buy directly from Trados, you don't get the actual webinar presentation. Just the workbook and sample files.

As I said, for me, that was enough and I preferred to do it that way versus following the online presentation.

As far as the certification goes, if you pass an exam you are certified at the level of the exam you took. So if you took the exam for Getting Started, that is your current level of certification.
<
... See more
Hey Marina,

Please note, that if you buy directly from Trados, you don't get the actual webinar presentation. Just the workbook and sample files.

As I said, for me, that was enough and I preferred to do it that way versus following the online presentation.

As far as the certification goes, if you pass an exam you are certified at the level of the exam you took. So if you took the exam for Getting Started, that is your current level of certification.

You should be able to log onto your Trados account and see your certification status.

https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/

Look under "My Certification and Training" once you log on.

When you take the Intermediate exam and pass it, your certification will automatically changed to show that you are certified at the Intermediate level, etc.

You will get a URL that you can list here on ProZ or anywhere else you'd like so that you can "show off" your certification.
Here's mine: http://www.sdl.com/certified/118282

I'm in Florida too. Greetings from Port Saint Lucie!
Collapse

J.E.Sunseri
J.E.Sunseri  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
Member (2009)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the detailed response, Stefano! Jul 25, 2011

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I especially appreciated learning about the option to buy the materials directly from Trados. Of course these should be included with the program, itself. What a shame they're not. Again, big thanks!

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
Port Saint Lucie Jul 27, 2011

Hello Stefano,

I live in Sarasota County, exactly on the other coast!

Do you know the "Florida Chapter of ATA"? I have found information on them at ProZ, but have not received an answer so far. Perhaps they do not exist anymore…

Is Port Saint Lucie worth visiting?

Alexandra Cheveleva
Alexandra Cheveleva  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:06
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
One more question Jul 27, 2011

Dear Stefano,

I am also searching the info about the TRADOS training.

Do you mean that one should buy the exam to the level directly and the workbook will be provided when you pay for the exam, without acquiring any training course?

I would like to clear it up before paying. Now I have a recently-installed SDL Studio 2009 on my computer and after using only OmegaT before I am in a harmful process of figuring it out how the new monster is functioing... See more
Dear Stefano,

I am also searching the info about the TRADOS training.

Do you mean that one should buy the exam to the level directly and the workbook will be provided when you pay for the exam, without acquiring any training course?

I would like to clear it up before paying. Now I have a recently-installed SDL Studio 2009 on my computer and after using only OmegaT before I am in a harmful process of figuring it out how the new monster is functioing
Collapse

Abdelfatah Bourouies
Abdelfatah Bourouies  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 02:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
SDL trados certification Jul 30, 2015

Please, can someone help me with the certification workbooks? Thanks in advance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL certification question

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »