Studio 2014 and file locations
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:04
Dutch to English
Oct 7, 2013

Studio 2014 has lost the ability to remember your preferences for file saving locations. E.g if I open a new package, studio suggests creating the folder in the location of the last package I opened. If I create a return package then studio suggests saving it in the folder of the previous project, and if I then point it to the packages folder in the current project it creates two packages; one under packages, and one under 'out' under 'packages'.

Regards,

Olly

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Option to choose location missing Oct 7, 2013

It's not so much forgetting preferences as not even offering the user a chance to select a location.

When I open a new package, Studio unzips it automatically to the last used location (NO GOOD!!!) without offering me the opportunity to select the location I want.

This means I have to close Studio, manually move the folder from the previous location to the required location, then open Studio and from within the program search for and open the .sdlproj file. This is anyt
... See more
It's not so much forgetting preferences as not even offering the user a chance to select a location.

When I open a new package, Studio unzips it automatically to the last used location (NO GOOD!!!) without offering me the opportunity to select the location I want.

This means I have to close Studio, manually move the folder from the previous location to the required location, then open Studio and from within the program search for and open the .sdlproj file. This is anything but ideal.

I have not yet created the return package ...
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
you can select location Oct 7, 2013

Nick, if you first open Studio 2014 and then open your package from within the application, you will see there is a line in the middle of the main window in which you can select the destination folder for your package to be decompressed.

it is a new feature that Studio 2011 lacked, and that is very useful for me.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Why unzip Oct 7, 2013

[quote]Nick Quaintmere wrote:

a new package BEFORE saving it first in the desired location?

A.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It doesn't do this... Oct 7, 2013

... at least it doesn't for me:

I wonder if perhaps you are just too fast to click on finish and don't notice the Project Folder location with the browse button in the middle of the screen?

Regards

Paul

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
But the point is... Oct 7, 2013

... it defaults to the previous project. Maybe this is because my default location is not 2014's standard location, but this was never a problem with 2011. 2011 automatically creates a new folder for the new package. Now you have to create a new folder manually. Same with creating a return package, with the added bother described in my op.

Regards,

Olly

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I can repro this behaviour... Oct 7, 2013

.... Olly, and I will log this to be reviewed.

Regards

Paul

ClemRg (X)
ClemRg (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Return Package default location Oct 8, 2013

Paul, why can we not simply have Studio place the Return Package by default in the same folder (or in the out folder) as the received package? This would be the first place you would look for it, normally.

Same, by the way, goes for importing external view files. Why does Studio not simply by default look for this file in the same path you exported the external view file to?

Clemens

[Edited at 2013-10-08 07:21 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I agree... Oct 8, 2013

ClemRg wrote:

Paul, why can we not simply have Studio place the Return Package by default in the same folder (or in the out folder) as the received package? This would be the first place you would look for it, normally.

Same, by the way, goes for importing external view files. Why does Studio not simply by default look for this file in the same path you exported the external view file to?

Clemens

[Edited at 2013-10-08 07:21 GMT]

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No option available to choose location ... Oct 8, 2013

I thought you'd got the solution, Paul, and I had simply clicked too quickly on finish.

But as you can see, the option to choose location is simply not there.

And YES, Andzrej, I saved the package in the desired location before clicking on it!

(btw. the same window appears if I open the package from within Studio 2014 instead of double-cli
... See more
I thought you'd got the solution, Paul, and I had simply clicked too quickly on finish.

But as you can see, the option to choose location is simply not there.

And YES, Andzrej, I saved the package in the desired location before clicking on it!

(btw. the same window appears if I open the package from within Studio 2014 instead of double-clicking it in Windows Explorer)
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You had me wondering... Oct 8, 2013

... on this one and it turns out to be obvious after asking Phil in Support... he knew right away.

The Open Package dialog without the ability, or better said the need, to specify the project folder is only reproducible when opening a return package for a project that already exists on your list of projects in SDL Trados Studio.

Therefore, as the project along with a project folder already exists, this already existing project folder will be automatically chosen for you
... See more
... on this one and it turns out to be obvious after asking Phil in Support... he knew right away.

The Open Package dialog without the ability, or better said the need, to specify the project folder is only reproducible when opening a return package for a project that already exists on your list of projects in SDL Trados Studio.

Therefore, as the project along with a project folder already exists, this already existing project folder will be automatically chosen for you.

So we think you are trying to open a return package rather than one created for you to work with that hasn't got a Project yet.

Would this be correct?

Paul
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Erm, I don't think so ... Oct 8, 2013

But I may have misunderstood you.

I am talking about opening a package that I have just received that has no project set up in Studio.

I save the package file (.sdlppx) to the folder where I want to have my project files, click on the package file (or open via Studio menu) to extract the files and the project folder/files from within the package are automatically extracted into whatever folder I was using for my PREVIOUS project.

I have no possibility (othe
... See more
But I may have misunderstood you.

I am talking about opening a package that I have just received that has no project set up in Studio.

I save the package file (.sdlppx) to the folder where I want to have my project files, click on the package file (or open via Studio menu) to extract the files and the project folder/files from within the package are automatically extracted into whatever folder I was using for my PREVIOUS project.

I have no possibility (other than described above) to get the files (back) where I want them. In 2011, I was asked where I wanted to put the files.

I, at least, am not talking opening about a return package.

When creating a return package, I am offered the choice to save the file somewhere, although Studio saves it also in the Packages/Out folder anyway (why would I need two copies?). But that is a different issue that already existed in 2011.
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
In 2011 Oct 8, 2013

But that is a different issue that already existed in 2011.

I didn't have that issue in 2011 but do have it in 2014. Why can't everybody just have the same issues?? It would make life so much simpler.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
2014 has learned... Oct 9, 2013

I just opened a new package and now Studio 2014 suggested the right location: a new folder with the name of the package in the folder where I saved the previous project. Odd that it took the program about 4 packages to 'learn' this. Come to think of it, I recall that I experienced the same behaviour when I started using 2011. However, Studio is still suggesting the wrong location for the return package...

Olly

Jenny Scott
Jenny Scott  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
Member (2011)
Norwegian to English
Same problem re lack of 'project folder' bar/browse button Jan 15, 2014

After upgrading to Studio 2014, I have been having the same problem when opening packages, i.e. the 'project folder' bar and browse button do not appear. And, like Nick, I was not mistakenly trying to open a Return Package - this was a brand new package sent to me by a client.

So, without any options available to me, I had to go with Studio's executive decision to send the new project files to the last folder I had used when opening a package.

After a very frustrating i
... See more
After upgrading to Studio 2014, I have been having the same problem when opening packages, i.e. the 'project folder' bar and browse button do not appear. And, like Nick, I was not mistakenly trying to open a Return Package - this was a brand new package sent to me by a client.

So, without any options available to me, I had to go with Studio's executive decision to send the new project files to the last folder I had used when opening a package.

After a very frustrating interlude of searching the internet, opening/deleting/reopening the package and trying (unsuccessfully) to move the project files, FINALLY, out of the blue, Trados suddenly acquired its 'project folder' bar.

I didn't do anything, and I don't understand it. All I did was shut down and reopen Studio repeatedly, while trying to open this package. All I can suggest is that maybe other people with the same problem just keep trying.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 and file locations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »