How to change target language variant (proofreading job)
Thread poster: Anne Lee
Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:59
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2014

I received a large SDLXLIFF file which needs to be proofread in UK English. For some reason, the SDLXLIFF file, which I assume was created on the basis of a bilingual document in a different programme, is formatted with the correct source language (NL) but into US English although it should be UK English. It means that I cannot use my TMs and that the wrong variant of English will be used for the spellcheck, so I really need to change the language variant. How do I got about this? I cannot si... See more
I received a large SDLXLIFF file which needs to be proofread in UK English. For some reason, the SDLXLIFF file, which I assume was created on the basis of a bilingual document in a different programme, is formatted with the correct source language (NL) but into US English although it should be UK English. It means that I cannot use my TMs and that the wrong variant of English will be used for the spellcheck, so I really need to change the language variant. How do I got about this? I cannot simply process the source text in a new project, because I already have a bilingual file with translated segments.Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:59
English
Language Codes Jul 30, 2014

Hi Anne,

I think, if it was me, I'd do this:

First the TMs. The best solution would be to use AnyTM from the OpenExchange as this will let you use any TM. So you can add your existing TM to the project using this plugin despite the language difference.
But if you don't want to do this then just export your T
... See more
Hi Anne,

I think, if it was me, I'd do this:

First the TMs. The best solution would be to use AnyTM from the OpenExchange as this will let you use any TM. So you can add your existing TM to the project using this plugin despite the language difference.
But if you don't want to do this then just export your TM to TMX, then create a new TM with the language pair you want and import the TMX into it. Now you'll have a TM with the languages you want. If you take the latter I'd recommend you also create a separate empty TM that you can update so you only have to import a smaller one back into your main TM when you're done... or use a Project TM.

On the spell check. If you're using Hunspell then it's fairly simple to "fool" the spell checker into using the language variant you want by renaming the files. But if it's Microsoft then maybe the way out is to export for external review when you're done and then spellcheck the file in Microsoft Word, and import the changes back into Studio afterwards.

I didn't elaborate on much of this so if there is anything you don't follow and need a little more help please ask.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the helpful response Aug 1, 2014

Hi Paul,

Sorry for my delayed reply. I have taken your response on board and it's been a great help. I actually have a support contract but it didn't seem like the sort of issue that I could use it for. I searched the knowledge base but the lengthy description doesn't make it an easy subject to search for.

Anne Lee
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved: easy way to change the target language variant Aug 2, 2014

Well, I fortunately found a quicker way to do this, which I thought I had seen somewhere on the Internet before. Open the sdlxliff file in Notepad, search for the description of the language (en-US) and replace it by en-GB. Reopen in Trados Studio 2014. That's all it took. I found this on: http://bodeuxinternational.com/tip-change-lang-pair-sdlxiff/

Alaa Zeineldine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change target language variant (proofreading job)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »