TagEditor stops working in SDL Trados 2007 (8.2.0.835)
Thread poster: Kjetil Holm
Kjetil Holm
Kjetil Holm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:29
Member (2020)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Nov 20, 2014

Hello,

I am working with Trados 2007 (8.2.0.835). It seems I am now in some serious trouble because I have been working on a text of about 42,000 words in TagEditor and now I cannot open the file anymore. I get a message the TagEditor has encountered a problem and will be closed. This is a big file, about 16 MB. The thing is, it is the only file I cannot open in TagEditor. Other files are no probem. Can it be that the file has simply become too big? Strangely, the file is now listed
... See more
Hello,

I am working with Trados 2007 (8.2.0.835). It seems I am now in some serious trouble because I have been working on a text of about 42,000 words in TagEditor and now I cannot open the file anymore. I get a message the TagEditor has encountered a problem and will be closed. This is a big file, about 16 MB. The thing is, it is the only file I cannot open in TagEditor. Other files are no probem. Can it be that the file has simply become too big? Strangely, the file is now listed as having a size of 0 byte on my hard disk. Could the file be corrupted in any way? This is critical, since I am fighting a deadline.

Best regards,
Collapse

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:29
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
The file is gone Nov 20, 2014

Hello Kjetil,

I'm afraid your file is corrupted beyond repair - in fact, there is no file anymore. Most probably something went wrong when the file was being saved. You should use your last backup or the original TTX file you received from the client and restore your work from your TM.

Best regards,
Darius

Kjetil Holm
Kjetil Holm  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2020)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Nov 20, 2014

Hello, Darius,

I am getting convinced about this too now. Seems it can be risky working with such bigs files ... I have already started running my TM through the file again. Only problem is it is very time consuming with such a big text since I have to open each segment and click "Get" on the Trados meny for every segment. But I will make it ...

Thanks for your input.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
If error occurs again, split the large file... Nov 20, 2014

Hi Kjetil,

As said by Darius, create a new ttx file by pre-translating what you have done so far using your TM.
But you should then as a test going on translating maybe 1-3 segments and then trying to save again to see if all is ok with the file.
Should it occur again, then you may need to split the files.
With Trados 2007 (SP3) there is a feature to do just this, you can split large files into pieces if need be.

Greets,
Mike

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
Finnish to French
Gee! Nov 20, 2014

Kjetil Holm wrote:
I am now in some serious trouble because I have been working on a text of about 42,000 words in TagEditor

42,000 words in TagEditor (!!!), in 2014 (soon 2015), gee!

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:29
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
You shouldn't need to open and confirm every segment. Nov 20, 2014

Kjetil Holm wrote:

Hello, Darius,

I am getting convinced about this too now. Seems it can be risky working with such bigs files ... I have already started running my TM through the file again. Only problem is it is very time consuming with such a big text since I have to open each segment and click "Get" on the Trados meny for every segment. But I will make it ...

Thanks for your input.

What about "Translate To Fuzzy" in TagEditor Menu? or Tools>Translate in TWB?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor stops working in SDL Trados 2007 (8.2.0.835)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »